Cat or fox?

spandit

I have shot a lot of cats and foxes, the eyes vary a lot, I like to ID first and at distance the movement is a give away. Cats are smooth movers and foxes tend to jiggle about. If the eyes are too bright through the scope, try lowering it or if it is a variable beam turn it down and you will see the ears in better relief.

if you do a lot of foxing you will call a lot of cats in i have cats running in all the time and still have to wait at times to get a better id...

if your not 100% leave it for another day it could cost you your permission or worse

i even had a ferret run in last year

Why ???

It's someone's pet at the end of the day which you have no right to hurt.

Sorry but you do not know my context, I live at the gateway to the highlands and shoot over some very barren areas and all the cats I shoot are feral and breeding with the local wildcat population and thus killing them off in a round about way. "How do you know they are feral?" because we are in the back of beyond and those with cats I know what they look like under the lamp.

We also have instances of people releasing cats, kittens mainly, into the wild here and it is tragic the way people think a tiny kitten that has been reared in a home will suddenly become a self sufficient hunter just because they are released near a farm.

Sorry but you do not know my context, I live at the gateway to the highlands and shoot over some very barren areas and all the cats I shoot are feral and breeding with the local wildcat population and thus killing them off in a round about way. "How do you know they are feral?" because we are in the back of beyond and those with cats I know what they look like under the lamp.

We also have instances of people releasing cats, kittens mainly, into the wild here and it is tragic the way people think a tiny kitten that has been reared in a home will suddenly become a self sufficient hunter just because they are released near a farm.

Slightly different to the midlands then :)

I have shot a lot of cats

Why ???

It's someone's pet at the end of the day which you have no right to hurt.

Although I am quoting you TT this is not directed at you, rather as an example of how posters written replies often get misconstrued.

We never know a posters particular circumstances and often replies are based on one's own experiences and the sort of area they shoot over.

How often do we read that most foxes are shot at sub 150 yds or that crows should never be shot with a rifle in trees, on posts or for that matter we should not shoot across a lane.

Perhaps good advice in some parts of the UK, but in other areas where the terrain is hostile high moorland with deep valleys, large fields and the nearest house is some miles away the same is not true.

I only post this in an attempt to make us all realise that others situations are often not the same as ours and we should perhaps try to think of their circumstances before writing our replies. I know I am guilty of this and this and I hope this example will help me and perhaps others think before jumping.

Although I am quoting you TT this is not directed at you, rather as an example of how posters written replies often get misconstrued.

We never know a posters particular circumstances and often replies are based on one's own experiences and the sort of area they shoot over.

How often do we read that most foxes are shot at sub 150 yds or that crows should never be shot with a rifle in trees, on posts or for that matter we should not shoot across a lane.

Perhaps good advice in some parts of the UK, but in other areas where the terrain is hostile high moorland with deep valleys, large fields and the nearest house is some miles away the same is not true.

I only post this in an attempt to make us all realise that others situations are often not the same as ours and we should perhaps try to think of their circumstances before writing our replies. I know I am guilty of this and this and I hope this example will help me and perhaps others think before jumping.

most foxes are shot at sub 150 yds .......... Nothing wrong with that, most are! :good:

ATB! :good:

most foxes are shot at sub 150 yds .......... Nothing wrong with that, most are! :good:

ATB! :good:

They may be in your neck of the woods, but here, for example, that would be extremely close!!

But thank you for providing an example of exactly how people's mindset is governed by their own experiance.

This post will go on and on and on and on...as usual.

No good saying 'with experience' this that and the other, the lad can't go and buy a bag full of experience.

He asked a sensible question and deserves sensible answers.

Reflected eyes of all animals vary in colour and intensity as they age.

They also vary with the intensity and colour or tint of the light you are using.

The eyes by themselves cannot identify the animal - you need to see the body outline, size and markings and maybe movement.

These all give a clue and you have to add up the sum of the clues and come to a decision.

Go play with an empty gun for a couple of hours. Look at all the things you can't or don't want to shoot in detail.

It's like all identification tests - Much better to be able to identify the protected species at a glance than the quarry.

I have shot a few cats too.All feral,and nobodies pet.Not all cats have owners,and the numbers would surprise you.As for why,imagine a fox,but worse.

Snap I've shot a few and the damage they do can be severe. As for species I'd at night that is where money spent on good optics, lamps and night vision pays off and we aren't talking 6x42 scopes as decent lamping gear. With the right gear and experience it's surprising how far you can shoot with certainty at night.

They may be in your neck of the woods, but here, for example, that would be extremely close!!

But thank you for providing an example of exactly how people's mindset is governed by their own experiance.

Come on Charlie, that isn't a mindset from my own experience, it is reality, seems to me that if anyone is showing a mindset governed by their own experience here it is you, MOST foxes are shot under 150 yards, doesn't matter if every one of yours is shot at 500 yards, it doesn't change the fact that MOST foxes are shot under 150 yards! :yes::good:

Edited by Dekers