Legal?

eredel

I'm fairly sure of the answer but how legal is it to lock your shotgun barrel in the cabinet but not the stock 'n block?

The reason I ask is that I only have room for my breakdown cabinet but looking to get a semi auto.....my other option being a bit of chopping and welding a small extension to the top of the cabinet to get everything in.

Eric.

The problem is the wife is not too happy with shotties in the house but she gave way to a cabinet out of sight under the stairs so anywhere else is not an option.

Maximum length that will go in the cabinet is about 31 inches so barrels should go in ok but I believe the action of a semi auto or pump is longer than this unless anyone knows of one that is within this measurement.

The existing cabinet is 840mm high but I could probably get another 200mm longer cabinet in there but have not seen one of that length.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Eric.

The problem is the wife is not too happy with shotties in the house but she gave way to a cabinet out of sight under the stairs so anywhere else is not an option.

Eric.

Man up and tell her where it's going to go. Do you tell her where to store the food processor or make her hide the washing machine as it's sight offends you? Tell her it's not going in her kitchen so she needn't worry ...........................

........................... although if you told her that, you might have to :whistling::innocent:

It is legal, as you aren't compelled to even have a cabinet. You are required to store it securely. That said - the FEO will insist - rightly or wrongly (rightly in my book) in a cabinet.

Or similar (gun room, large safe etc) thing is a shotgun barrel isn't a controlled part see the many threads on the matter.

Wife is being irrational as it doesn't matter where they are in the house they are in the house, doesn't matter if its 1 or 20 they are in the house.... My missus wasnt keen but is fine with it now and enjoys shooting occasionally.

Get a proper 5 gun cabinet and be doen with it (will fit under most stairs) Bratton sound ST5 1308 x 268 x 244 a 2 GUN COMPACT VS is2 1185 x 346 x 152

http://www.brattonsound.co.uk/sent_models.html

Maximum length that will go in the cabinet is about 31 inches so barrels should go in ok but I believe the action of a semi auto or pump is longer than this unless anyone knows of one that is within this measurement.

The existing cabinet is 840mm high but I could probably get another 200mm longer cabinet in there but have not seen one of that length.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Eric.

Get a full size cabinet and get someone to make a cover so it looks like a piece of furniture thats what i did.

It is legal, as you aren't compelled to even have a cabinet. You are required to store it securely. That said - the FEO will insist - rightly or wrongly (rightly in my book) in a cabinet.

Correct, I know someone approved for a wall clamp. The FEO said it was the only one in lancs but probably safer than a lot of safes as it was more out of sight.

Thank you again for your replies gentlemen.....I think it will have to do a cut and shut job as looking around there is nowhere really suitable for a full length cabinet.

As for in a wardrobe....she would lose clothes space and that just aint happening!!

Eric.

Can't say I'm that old kent,(and that's not a dig ;) ). But it's not that high anyway really...

if you go back just 30 yrs and look at places like the big English cities gun crime has risen dramatically, strangely enough the rise spikes following the handgun ban. Many, many unlicenced .22 lr .303 rifles and shotguns existed in the 70's and 80's and were commonly used in poaching not gang murders and little attention was really paid to them. Now its Glocks, mackerovs and machine pistols non of which even ever existed legally within the UK.

IMO it increased along with the rise in Black or Urban(as it's called now) Street Culture and cocaine distribution.

if you go back just 30 yrs and look at places like the big English cities gun crime has risen dramatically, strangely enough the rise spikes following the handgun ban. Many, many unlicenced .22 lr .303 rifles and shotguns existed in the 70's and 80's and were commonly used in poaching not gang murders and little attention was really paid to them. Now its Glocks, mackerovs and machine pistols non of which even ever existed legally within the UK.

IMO it increased along with the rise in Black or Urban(as it's called now) Street Culture and cocaine distribution.

But in the 50's they were fighting in the streets of London. The difference culturally is super violent films and games, single mums bringing up little hooligans alone and lack of real discipline in school. All this pointing guns held sideways etc has blurred their tiny little minds into thinking they are in the movies