Handgun ranges? Yorkshire

houlsby

Noticed my missis has started getting interested in having a pistol for target shooting (and, poss dropping me, but that's another thread)

Is there still anyware in the uk you can turn up and shoot same as in America?

I don't think she's after a desert eagle .50, think its just something she's wanting to do together, so any help would be appreciated.

(P.s. I do realise that handguns are only for humane disp normally, but thought if ask)

Cheers

There's a club on Jersey where you can shoot pistols i believe.

Yep, been its great you have to complete a range course on .22lr before you can bigger. possible in a day but realistically takes 2 trips to the range (unless you spend all day there)

http://www.jerseypistolclub.info/

OR go overseas add it to part of your next holiday perhaps you can shoot air pistols and not a bad way to learn the basics

you can shoot in northern ireland ,IOM, jersey and channel islands

In IOM you can apply for overseas membership and i am assuming this to be the case in other locations.

get on the ferry as foot passanger and taxis to the range save a car crossing which is not cheap, atb wayne

As has been suggested....Northern Ireland or Isle of Man, or abroad

UK you are restricted to airpistol...or black powder pistols on club guest days. Long barrel types are NOT exempt from club/range exemptions so can only be used by the FAC holder/owner.

Section 5 type...forget it...you cannot even handle a Section 5 legally unless you hold a Section 5 permit.

Good luck finding somewhere

As has been suggested....Northern Ireland or Isle of Man, or abroad

UK you are restricted to airpistol...or black powder pistols on club guest days. Long barrel types are NOT exempt from club/range exemptions so can only be used by the FAC holder/owner.

Section 5 type...forget it...you cannot even handle a Section 5 legally unless you hold a Section 5 permit.

Good luck finding somewhere

half right,

unless the club has them as club guns,

i know this because i shoot a tarus .44mag lbr every time i go to my club as a probational member.

half right,

unless the club has them as club guns,

i know this because i shoot a tarus .44mag lbr every time i go to my club as a probational member.

Your club may need to check up on this

There are similarly NO exemption for FAC shotguns - so HOW your club can get around it may be interesting. IF it was possible several clubs would follow suit...

The ONLY exemption are the Westlake style that are made as carbines with removable stocks & the new Alfa revolver/carbine

You can shoot black powder pistols, by all accounts it's a lot of fun but I am too lazy for all the cleaning that goes along with that.

Correct, Chadderton Rifle and Pistol Club have a pistol calibre and black powder section. I haven't been myself but I am led to believe that it is great fun.

Your club may need to check up on this

There are similarly NO exemption for FAC shotguns - so HOW your club can get around it may be interesting. IF it was possible several clubs would follow suit...

The ONLY exemption are the Westlake style that are made as carbines with removable stocks & the new Alfa revolver/carbine

the club is fully aware of the law. This is legal but only if a club gun not a members gun.

the club is fully aware of the law. This is legal but only if a club gun not a members gun.

I'd be interested in seeing the exact wording on the club FAC - as I have not heard of LBRs on club tickets automatically giving Section 15 exemption to club members...

IF it is worded correctly to cover ALL club members then I am surprised that more clubs don't own LBRs for members to use.

The NRA advice I have read is:

It is indeed down to the Chief Constable as to whether he grants a variation to acquire a LBR (or anything else) on a Club (or any other) FAC. That is covered by S27 Firearms Act 1968. The Chief Constable doing so does not affect the operation of S15 Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988....

The fact that a gun is on a Club FAC is not authority for someone to possess said gun without a FAC.

As I have said before, I can envisage in theory a FAC being worded in such a way as to bring all members of a Club within its authority, but I have never seen or heard of that being done explicitly.

To pin down the legal point here, under S1 Firearms Act 1968, to possess a firearm you either need to hold a Certificate or be exempt under the Acts from holding a Certificate.

For rifles and MLPs and members of HO Approved clubs, S15 of the 1988 Act provides the exemption.

The question in respect of other types of firearm then becomes whether a Certificate issued to a Club is, for the purposes of S1(1)(a) Firearms Act 1968, "held" by all members of the Club. If that were so, then for firearms (of any type) on the Club FAC club members would be entitled to possess.

I have the impression that the NRA office would also be interested in how the club FAC is worded...

I believe you can have a club which holds guns (pistols) exempted by virtue of being of historical importance and that gun can be fired by a club member; provided the member uses the gun on the SAME premises it is held. So if your RFD has an indoor range and a massive gun safe, club members can use them - and any other firearm from shotguns to carbines (assuming the indoor range is approved for such). Anyone can own such a gun (pistol) by applying to the S of S for an exemption but cannot personally hold them but must have them at an RFD's. Typical example would be a (Broom-handled Mauser 9 mm centrefire)

I know of such a place but will see if there is any doubt raised first.

I'd be interested in seeing the exact wording on the club FAC - as I have not heard of LBRs on club tickets automatically giving Section 15 exemption to club members...

IF it is worded correctly to cover ALL club members then I am surprised that more clubs don't own LBRs for members to use.

The NRA advice I have read is:

I have the impression that the NRA office would also be interested in how the club FAC is worded...

I'm with you on this saddler - we looked into have a club LBP and it was a no go.

If anyone can show it's Ok then would appreciate the info.

ATB

I believe you can have a club which holds guns (pistols) exempted by virtue of being of historical importance and that gun can be fired by a club member; provided the member uses the gun on the SAME premises it is held. So if your RFD has an indoor range and a massive gun safe, club members can use them - and any other firearm from shotguns to carbines (assuming the indoor range is approved for such). Anyone can own such a gun (pistol) by applying to the S of S for an exemption but cannot personally hold them but must have them at an RFD's. Typical example would be a (Broom-handled Mauser 9 mm centrefire)

I know of such a place but will see if there is any doubt raised first.

TRUE: Section 7 Historical exemption is another kettle of fish though...& a S.7 historical handgun is STILL a S.5 until added to an FAC

Any links to which part of the Firearms Act cover the use of club guns in an historical context? Things must have changed since my last H.B.S.A. meeting

The main point is/was the lack of Section 15 exemption for Section 1 LBR-type firearms. Having one as a "club gun" as a means around S.15 is doubtful at best

Haven't a clue,

My feo seems to think everything is in order so as far as I'm concerned its legal. The club is a fullbore club with a large amount of pistol/revolver and blackpowder shooters.

I don't get why some people get so hung up on all these laws. Ultimately if the club secratary says i can then i can. If it went to court i fail to see what i would have done wrong.

Best advice i could offer anybody who wants to try is to find a club and ask if they have a club lbr you could shoot.

TRUE: Section 7 Historical exemption is another kettle of fish though...& a S.7 historical handgun is STILL a S.5 until added to an FAC

Any links to which part of the Firearms Act cover the use of club guns in an historical context? Things must have changed since my last H.B.S.A. meeting

The main point is/was the lack of Section 15 exemption for Section 1 LBR-type firearms. Having one as a "club gun" as a means around S.15 is doubtful at best

if its on a club fac why cant probational members use it?

Does this also apply to .22lr? Its not making sense to me how this works