Herts, Bucks, Bedf and Essex no birds about at all?

blasterjudd

I don't believe it has anything to do with the weather. Last year (2012-2013) there wasn't so much natural food, so the pigeons were seen all through the winter. This year (2013-2014) there has been a huge natural bounty in the woods. It's as simple as that. There may well be some movement from region to region. I am seeing large amounts of pigeons every day now. It won't be too long before the pigeons will be on the rape everywhere.

Good because im dying to get out there and try to improve......Ive only shot my gun a handful of times too!!

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it's an Old Wives tale that colder weather encourages the birds to feed harder, as Motty says, it's all about the availabilty of food.

As to them starting on the rape soon, well not in my area, as there are still masses of acorns, hawthorn and ivy berries still left to eat, the birds around here always prefer them to rape, and they haven't even started on them yet.. :no:

Cat.

They were not at Bishops Stortford, :no: but at the back of Stevenage going towards Baldock.

They were on set aside next to a Rape field, and could well have been migrating, hopefully more into Hertfordshire nearer to my permissions :lol::lol:

You would have needed really good eyesight to see pigeons from Dunmow to Bishop Stortford :yes: .

True, but I have my reading glasses on! Today I drove back from Buckingham to Buntingford, via Baldock and saw very few. Who knows what is going on???

PS I don't agree with you all about his being a bumper year for acorns etc, above average maybe but nothing special on most of my perms - around Dunmow.

They were there yesterday and they are there again today same sort of numbers :good: , and here are the pictures to prove it although you cannot see them from Great Dunmow :lol::lol: :lol:

The trees were/are full of them.

I found the Farmer and had a friendly chat with him. and have a meeting with him again in a couple of days.

Also I saw a number, albeit much smaller numbers on another permission I have been offered but need to tidy up the formalities, I have been a bit slow on this one, lets not hope too slow.

Correction it was not set a side but stubble they were on.

Photo0012.jpg

Photo0011.jpg

Photo0013-1.jpg

Edited by bakerboy

They were there yesterday and they are there again today same sort of numbers :good: , and here are the pictures to prove it although you cannot see them from Great Dunmow :lol::lol: :lol:

I found the Farmer and had a friendly chat with him. and have a meeting with him again in a couple of days.

Also I saw a number, albeit much smaller numbers on another permission I have been offered but need to tidy up the formalities, I have been a bit slow on this one, lets not hope too slow.

Photo0012.jpg

Photo0011.jpg

happy days mate

colin

Are they feeding on volunteer crop or has it been direct drilled?

There doesn't appear to have been any work on the ground since it was cropped, just stubble, no vehicle tracks marks, which when I first saw the pigeons made me think it was set a side.

I'm good Terry. Just picked up a new farm to shoot today with loads of rape and lots of pigeons :)

Elby the rape has been drilled.

Well done "will I get an invite" :whistling: ?

Mr Bakerboy really .....

R u sure these piccys were taken this week?

Leaves on the trees and sun was shining unheard of in Essex at the moment LOL !

I cant see these birds from Dunmow either ??????

Something mysterious is going on here!

Hahahaha :-)

Correction it was not set a side but stubble they were on.

Photo0012.jpg

Photo0011.jpg

Photo0013-1.jpg

Edited by blasterjudd

The pictures were taken on Tuesday.

The birds were there again on Wednesday and Thursday.

Blowin may be able to back me up :good: , but I can see where you are coming from.

The pictures are on my phone and show a date, I will try to put one up with the date to prove my case. edit no dates on picture's

Trust me I am not trying to pull a fast one, I have absolutely no need to.

The field in question, as I have stated is at the back of Stevenage on the way to Baldock.

If possible I will go back tomorrow (Friday) afternoon and take another picture, I cannot guarantee the sun or the birds, but the tree's and field should look the same and I will have a current Newspaper to hand.

Unless of course you are joking with me and I have been a little over sensitive. :oops:

Edit

I have just checked my phone, and I have no dates on the pictures.

I did phone a fellow PW member on the day,to inform him of what I had seen, and tried to forward the picture only to find that I had a problem with my phone .

I sent them by phone and by computer a little later that day.

I also sent the pictures to my son handlebar to put them on the system, dinosaur that I am, that evening.

I feel awful that I am not believed and thought to be deceiving people.

Edited by bakerboy

I can honestly say BakerBoy (Dad) asked me to put them on this week - thank godness as I've lost count of the amount of times I tried to explain how to fo it to him!! :lol::lol::lol: In fact I'm actually making him a how to guide as we speak! And if he took the pictures on his phone you'll have to forgive him for not having the date on the the fact the camera was pointing the right way is a binus and just last week I caught him editting a post online by putting tippex on the screen :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I've been talking to Terry for several days this week about the field and the amount of birds he'd seen.

He did send three pics to my phone from his but I couldn't open them, I think they were too big.

I don't have any reason to disbelieve him.

The pictures were taken on Tuesday.

The birds were there again on Wednesday and Thursday.

Blowin may be able to back me up :good: , but I can see where you are coming from.

The pictures are on my phone and show a date, I will try to put one up with the date to prove my case. edit no dates on picture's

Trust me I am not trying to pull a fast one, I have absolutely no need to.

The field in question, as I have stated is at the back of Stevenage on the way to Baldock.

If possible I will go back tomorrow (Friday) afternoon and take another picture, I cannot guarantee the sun or the birds, but the tree's and field should look the same and I will have a current Newspaper to hand.

Unless of course you are joking with me and I have been a little over sensitive. :oops:

Edit

I have just checked my phone, and I have no dates on the pictures.

I did phone a fellow PW member on the day,to inform him of what I had seen, and tried to forward the picture only to find that I had a problem with my phone .

I sent them by phone and by computer a little later that day.

I also sent the pictures to my son handlebar to put them on the system, dinosaur that I am, that evening.

I feel awful that I am not believed and thought to be deceiving people.

Well I believe you, I'm just peed that they are so near to me but might just as well be on the moon!!

Bakerboy - Seen a few good fields of birds on the Cottered/Baldock road so they are about in the numbers you've snapped… just not on any of the permissions I have! :no:

That said its dead as a dodo on the farm up the road from me, best day out so far is 6!

Hopefully getting out next weekend so can see whats up.

PS thanks for the offer of the 20bore, the missus shot with my 12… and got on rather well :good: See you at A1 soon

Hi Bakerboy

We all believe you but thousands wouldnt haha

I DONT SUPPOSE YOU USED A GREEN FELT TIP.ON THE SCREEN TO EDIT THESE PICCYS ! lol :-)

I posted having seen the pigeons at this location on thread 94 & 96.

Thanks Handlebar (Steven) for the support, yes you are my son, but you pull no punches when it comes to my technical skills. :lol::oops:

Not round here, it's not a bumper year for acorns or pigeons. The pigeon supply is way down, no **** in the woods or anything.

Sporting guns peter Theobalds write up in this months addition my shed a little light on your situation. He believes pigeons mass migrate up and down the country following/seeking large yields of natural foods. As your area has not got a good crop they have simply moved to another area... I think it's quite a good theory... We need more bad weather and patients I think.... I'm sure you'll see them soon

We need more bad weather and patients I think.... I'm sure you'll see them soon

I didn't realise you were a Doctor, blimey, and you make decoys as well...!! I'll bet we don't have many Doctors on PW..?

Still no birds showing in my area, but I did notice a few between Aylesbury and Thame on some rape, so, they are starting to move about a bit.

Cat.