Herts, Bucks, Bedf and Essex no birds about at all?

blasterjudd

Nice one Mr Baker we honestly do have thousands i know all about the photo issue!

If i had a wide angled lense i would attempt a photo just for u to see........

But am too busy shooting them...... lol

quote name="bakerboy" post="2444996" timestamp="1392418954"]

1000's, without a picture to prove it. :hmm:

Your Mum told you a million times about exaggerating. :lol::lol::lol:

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been roosting near Dunmow theres thousands dropping in the fir woods at night!

just got to polish the snap shooting skills in 30 mph winds a case of now u see em now u dont but there about!

Saturday is roost shooting night near Stebbing, can you get into these fir woods to help us out please???

Nice one Mr Baker we honestly do have thousands i know all about the photo issue!

If i had a wide angled lense i would attempt a photo just for u to see........

But am too busy shooting them...... lol

quote name="bakerboy" post="2444996" timestamp="1392418954"]

1000's, without a picture to prove it. :hmm:

Your Mum told you a million times about exaggerating. :lol::lol::lol:

OK I believe you.

I am starting to see a number over my way now as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed a very modest bag of 33 on Sunday morning, started at 8, (a bit late for me but there were houses nearby), packed up at 1.

This was on a small field of rape that they'd already chewed off in parts, but I noticed it's already starting to grow, just wait till they whack a bit of fert on it, then it'll be 6 feet tall in no time... :/

I breasted the birds last night and they were all very healthy, with plenty of fat on their bodies.

In terms of numbers of birds about, yes, there were a few, but nothing like there would have been even a cuople of years back.

I shot the field next door in rape 2 years back in mid Feb and had 50 on the clicker by 8.00am, that simply would not have been possible there last Sunday.

Cat.

I went out last week and there were two or three flocks of around 100 birds in the area. Managed to pick the wrong field to start with but moved to one where they had been dropping in regularly. Typically when we got there we saw nothing for the rest of the day. Ended up wit just one bird. Starting to get annoyed now, not had a reasonable day for months.

Not far from Dunmow and we've had a few flocks (in the hundreds) moving around. They are dropping into the rape and a few guys had some good sport with us at the weekend.

Like trying to pick up mercury with chopsticks!! No pattern to where they will feed, no commitment to getting shot.....

And what a nice couple of hours it was too, we wont mention the cart ratio eh Beardo :oops:

I just breasted them all out & all bar 3 were stuffed with acorns, the 3 had maize in em.

Yesterday afternoon on a local estate I saw a good 2-3000 coming into the woods, the keeper informs me they have been building for a couple of weeks, there's 500 acres of rape on the estate & they haven't touched it!! :no:

Still on the bright side we should have some good roost shooting & there's all the maize covers that are waiting to be smashed. That's if it ever gets dry enough :/

SS

200 pigeons shot this morning near Hitchin just over 4 hours, should have been a lot more, one gun had 50 for over 300 cartridges and is really ******* off, normally a very good shot, his mate had the rest of the bag.

On my way home I spotted 2/300 on a field near to my home (not my permission) phoned the shooter to let him know.

They are getting out there we just have to find them.

30 minutes after this post I received a call from one of my permissions informing me of pigeons hitting the crop.

Had to phone a mate to help me out as I cannot get there.

Edited by bakerboy

200 pigeons shot this morning near Hitchin just over 4 hours, should have been a lot more, one gun had 50 for over 300 cartridges and is really ******* off, normally a very good shot, his mate had the rest of the bag.

On my way home I spotted 2/300 on a field near to my home (not my permission) phoned the shooter to let him know.

30 minutes after this post I received a call from one of my permissions informing me of pigeons hitting the crop.

Hmmmm....so what's going wrong.....according to Kitch they'll only start feeding when we have sub zero temperatures...??

Can't quite work this one out..??

Cat.. ???

Hmmmm....so what's going wrong.....according to Kitch they'll only start feeding when we have sub zero temperatures...??

Can't quite work this one out..??

Cat.. ???

I'm getting a bit fed up with your extrapolations of my belief that colder weather makes pigeons need to feed more!!! Most other posters agree with me........

This sounds a bit too good to be true.

One guy gets 50 for 300 shots, in about 4 hours, that's 1 shot every 50 seconds, The other guy kills 150, assume he missed some too, say 200 shots, that's another shot every 72 seconds or, overall, 1 shot every 30 seconds for 4 hours?????

Are you sure this was near Hitchin, 15 miles from where I am, not in Argentina dove shooting???? I agree that birds are arriving in better numbers now, but decoying over rape is always a bit difficult..

If you need any more help, I have 1000 rounds in the safe, so should be able to assist for a whole day...........

This sounds a bit too good to be true.

One guy gets 50 for 300 shots, in about 4 hours, that's 1 shot every 50 seconds, The other guy kills 150, assume he missed some too, say 200 shots, that's another shot every 72 seconds or, overall, 1 shot every 30 seconds for 4 hours? ????

Are you sure this was near Hitchin, 15 miles from where I am, not in Argentina dove shooting? ??? I agree that birds are arriving in better numbers now, but decoying over rape is always a bit difficult..

If you need any more help, I have 1000 rounds in the safe, so should be able to assist for a whole day...........

It does sound like a lot but it is well possible. Back in 2007 I shot over a rape field in early March. I packed up just after 11am with 138 in the bag.