Herts, Bucks, Bedf and Essex no birds about at all?

blasterjudd

Yes, I'm only too well aware that feeding habits differ from area to area, as you've pointed out before, the rape in your area comes into flower in November, remember... ???:oops:

All I can say is that during the seriously cold weather we've had a couple of times around here over the past 5 years, with persistently sub zero temps and prolonged snow cover, the quantity of birds feeding on the rape has declined significantly, I'm convinced they all cleared off to areas of the Country that were snow free, they certainly didn't stick around here.

Kitch is coming down to South Herts as soon as it snows to show me how to shoot big bags of suicidal birds over rape during a blizzard, as I've only been at it nearly 40 years and haven't managed it yet.. :no:

I hope to find a spot nearby in the woods close to some Ivy covered trees and we'll have a little head count at the end of the day. :yes:

Cat.

:lol: oh your easily wound up

I agree on snow thing I have never shot a good bag on snow covered rape,unless you call 18 a good bag in the snow but through memory and records the best bags 50 plus have been when its cold and frosty during dec,jan, feb

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right on the road bout half way between 'The Palms' on the old A120 and Great Saling village on the left going towards Great Saling. From what I understand he's been there for some time and no bother - a caravan and the usual scrap and a van or two.

Where's this traveller camp?? I was looking at a house in Jasper's Green and wondered why there were a lot of For Sale signs.......

Please scare them down to Essex then....

I've shot plenty of good bags in the snow.

Take a broom, show a bit of green and in they'll come ;)

Doh.....!!!... That's where I've been going wrong all these years, I should have taken a broom and not a shotgun..??

Joking apart, I've tried this in the past without success, all I've succeeded in doing is destroying a small patch of rape with a vigorous brushing action, I think you'd need to clear a patch as big as a football field for the birds to show any interest, and my farmer friends wouldn't take too kindly to me doing that, they see snow cover as a protective blanket which is best left well alone.

Anyway, back to the original post, the rape in my area is still being completely ignored by the birds, they're still on acorns and now seeing more on Ivy berries. I've noticed on my travels around Newmarket, Cambridge and Norwich that they've been on the rape for some time, but not in any great numbers.

It may be that they don't touch the rape here in any numbers, there's still that much alternative food available.

Cat.

Right on the road bout half way between 'The Palms' on the old A120 and Great Saling village on the left going towards Great Saling. From what I understand he's been there for some time and no bother - a caravan and the usual scrap and a van or two.

Thanks for this, Yes I did see a tiny scrap-yard sort of place, didn't look too bad.

Cheers,

John

Doh.....!!!... That's where I've been going wrong all these years, I should have taken a broom and not a shotgun..??

Joking apart, I've tried this in the past without success, all I've succeeded in doing is destroying a small patch of rape with a vigorous brushing action, I think you'd need to clear a patch as big as a football field for the birds to show any interest, and my farmer friends wouldn't take too kindly to me doing that, they see snow cover as a protective blanket which is best left well alone.

Anyway, back to the original post, the rape in my area is still being completely ignored by the birds, they're still on acorns and now seeing more on Ivy berries. I've noticed on my travels around Newmarket, Cambridge and Norwich that they've been on the rape for some time, but not in any great numbers.

It may be that they don't touch the rape here in any numbers, there's still that much alternative food available.

Cat.

I've tried clearing snow off, by pulling a branch across rape to dislodge snow. It had some effect...

I have also tried asking a farmer to put a tarpaulin out the night before it snows, so that I could remove it later. He said something about about going forth to multipy, which I took as a negative!

On the temperature side, if the pigeon needs to maintain a body temerature of, say, 30C and it's +5 to +10 outside, his nice warm feathers (fluffed up if required) can handle the job with a minimum consumption of energy - stored fat etc. However, if the ambient temperature drops to -5 to -10, the temperature gradient across the feather duvet almost doubles. The Laws of Thermodynamics say that the rate of heat loss is proportional to the temperature gradient across the insulating layer. Therefore, the poor old pigeon will have to use up more "fuel" to keep his body at operating temperature. Therefore, after a few days, when he has used up most of the stored fat, he has to eat more. So sitting in the trees and having the odd snack when the fancy takes is a life-threatening life style.

That's when the pendulum of fate swings a bit in our favour (I hope!!)

Sitting in the trees also saves energy, farmer's rockets just make the poor things fly about and use more fuel, therefore they must eat more. But try explaining that to a farmer!!!

Still doing my snow-dance Cat!!

All the breast,

Kitch

Yes, I'm only too well aware that feeding habits differ from area to area, as you've pointed out before, the rape in your area comes into flower in November, remember... ???:oops:

All I can say is that during the seriously cold weather we've had a couple of times around here over the past 5 years, with persistently sub zero temps and prolonged snow cover, the quantity of birds feeding on the rape has declined significantly, I'm convinced they all cleared off to areas of the Country that were snow free, they certainly didn't stick around here.

Kitch is coming down to South Herts as soon as it snows to show me how to shoot big bags of suicidal birds over rape during a blizzard, as I've only been at it nearly 40 years and haven't managed it yet.. :no:

I hope to find a spot nearby in the woods close to some Ivy covered trees and we'll have a little head count at the end of the day. :yes:

Cat.

Looking forward to it!! I hope the bear in my ID picture can see off your cat!

I agree, local conditions can apply, let's hope for a nationwide freeze!!

Kitch

Looking forward to it!! I hope the bear in my ID picture can see off your cat!

I agree, local conditions can apply, let's hope for a nationwide freeze!!

Kitch

Well, I've already primed my local Game Dealer to clear out his freezer as soon as it snows as I'm guaranteeing him a massive bag of freshly shot birds from an expert Winter shooter coming down from North Herts.... :yes:

I'm not exactly flavour of the month with him this Winter, as the last birds he had from me were around mid September, but I did warn him back then that things were looking bad due to the massive acorn crop....thank goodness Kitch is coming to save the day.. :good:

Cat.

Well, I've already primed my local Game Dealer to clear out his freezer as soon as it snows as I'm guaranteeing him a massive bag of freshly shot birds from an expert Winter shooter coming down from North Herts.... :yes:

I'm not exactly flavour of the month with him this Winter, as the last birds he had from me were around mid September, but I did warn him back then that things were looking bad due to the massive acorn crop....thank goodness Kitch is coming to save the day.. :good:

Cat.

You're not over-hyping this are you? I'm still looking forward to it, but also getting in some practise at eating humble pie! I expect you have purchased the world's supply of rockets to move ALL birds out of SE England. At least we are entertaining PW members during these lean times!!

Got invited to a pheasant shoot today. However, I saw more pigeons today than I have seen total in the last few months. Could it be "Game on Gents"???

This was near Little Hadam, they were on rape, then big flocks heading north about 2.30pm, during our last drive (too high). Must have been a few 1000!

Got invited to a pheasant shoot today. However, I saw more pigeons today than I have seen total in the last few months. Could it be "Game on Gents"???

This was near Little Hadam, they were on rape, then big flocks heading north about 2.30pm, during our last drive (too high). Must have been a few 1000!

Nah...you were dreaming, it's still far too mild for pigeons to be actually feeding... :no:

Cat.

I saw a good few on grass yesterday.

Dunno who taught pigeons to smoke.

Think it calms their nerves before they fly past cats a mong

I've fitted an extra long handle to my broom to whack 'em out of the sky as they fly past towards Kitch's irresistable decoy pattern, they'll be that stoned they won't see it coming...... :lol:

Cat.

Nah...you were dreaming, it's still far too mild for pigeons to be actually feeding... :no:

Cat.

I've fitted an extra long handle to my broom to whack 'em out of the sky as they fly past towards Kitch's irresistable decoy pattern, they'll be that stoned they won't see it coming...... :lol:

Cat.

There was hail on the ground Cat!! Also, look at the weather maps - the nearer part of Europe now has a clockwise wind circulation with cold air coming from Siberia. Let's try and put 2 and 2 together.........

Cat.

Cat.

You could be right Cat, they may have been a migration flock just resting on the rape field as there is no sign of them now. I hope they did an about face to S Herts as the weather is said to be getting colder....

• 2 weeks later...

Took the dogs for a walk round Tring reservoirs yesterday Saw a good lot of pigeons on a couple of rape fields between Marsworth and Wilstone Anybody shoot round there ?

I shoot a lot of places around the Tring area, and the fields you are talking about are shot over by a mate.

We will probably be out there Wednesday, problem is one shot and there gone.

Xplor.