Herts, Bucks, Bedf and Essex no birds about at all?

blasterjudd

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

Maybe some good news today !

Saw 100s feeding on a field of Rape just off A120 between Dunmow and Stansted Airport the field was blue with woodies.

So maybe thsy are now finally feeding on Rape? ???

Yes, there certainly are more about now, but still very unreliable - here today, somewhere else 2 hours later. If you mean the rape fields on the left as you pull off the "New A120" and head for Tesco, yes they have been slowly building up there on colder days for the last couple of weeks. I'll bet they aren't there tomorrow, it's too warm. I'll pass there about 9.00am....

Yes youve got it the area where i see them is where the dodgy high seat is located about 2 fields back on left from the slip road at the very end of the wood ....

Glad someone else has seen them

whereabouts r u from ?

quote name="kitchrat" post="2410251" timestamp="1389812137"]

Yes, there certainly are more about now, but still very unreliable - here today, somewhere else 2 hours later. If you mean the rape fields on the left as you pull off the "New A120" and head for Tesco, yes they have been slowly building up there on colder days for the last couple of weeks. I'll bet they aren't there tomorrow, it's too warm. I'll pass there about 9.00am....

Nothing there on Saturday, but plenty around just south of Great Saling at about 10am..

Yes youve got it the area where i see them is where the dodgy high seat is located about 2 fields back on left from the slip road at the very end of the wood ....
Glad someone else has seen them

whereabouts r u from ?

quote name="kitchrat" post="2410251" timestamp="1389812137"]

They are like trying to pick up mercury with chopsticks round Dunmow right now. See a reasonable lot, clear it with the farmer, then none there next day. I still say we need some winter to get them to concentrate their minds a bit....

Is it wintery enough today?

Not here it's not, a bit cooler but quite foggy. All birds just sitting in the trees.

It would make no difference to the birds feeding habits if it was minus 10 or plus 10, they'd still be sat in the trees.

I have shot a good few hundred plus bags over rape in late October / early November when the temperature has been very mild in many years past, but this year there is simply so much alternative food around that they simply aren't interested in the rape, which is well down their list of preferred foodstuffs.

Whether or not the birds feed on Winter rape has nothing to do with air temperature, despite what many newbies think, it's all about what else is on offer.

And in this part of the World they're still ignoring it completely.

Cat.

Yes am fully aware I was out their from first light but the birds just would not decoy ended with a handful plus some rooks all shot over maize cover crops

Even the rotary failed to pull them in tried everything to no avail !

I saw hundreds all morning dropping in the wood just next to me so frustrating ........

Nothing there on Saturday, but plenty around just south of Great Saling at about 10am..

It would make no difference to the birds feeding habits if it was minus 10 or plus 10, they'd still be sat in the trees.

I have shot a good few hundred plus bags over rape in late October / early November when the temperature has been very mild in many years past, but this year there is simply so much alternative food around that they simply aren't interested in the rape, which is well down their list of preferred foodstuffs.

Whether or not the birds feed on Winter rape has nothing to do with air temperature, despite what many newbies think, it's all about what else is on offer.

Cat.

Well Cat, we are never going to agree on this % are we? This winter I have studied pigeons in the Dunmow area with a passion (Nothing better to do!) I can almost be certain that if I have to scrape ice off my truck, then I will see small groups on rape, no ice, no eat rape. Foggy or sunny mornings equals a sit in trees day. I know we don't have a lot of birds, too warm in Europe is my theory but I can't prove that one. In the area I have most of my perms, there is not an unusual supply of acorns or berries, just an average year, What we don't have is enough birds to hoover them up.

Numbers are building now (note that it's got colder in Europe) and game covers are getting a beating. Less than weeks and we might be able to get a decent bag again.

Good luck all....

Well Cat, we are never going to agree on this % are we? This winter I have studied pigeons in the Dunmow area with a passion (Nothing better to do!) I can almost be certain that if I have to scrape ice off my truck, then I will see small groups on rape, no ice, no eat rape. Foggy or sunny mornings equals a sit in trees day. I know we don't have a lot of birds, too warm in Europe is my theory but I can't prove that one. In the area I have most of my perms, there is not an unusual supply of acorns or berries, just an average year, What we don't have is enough birds to hoover them up.

Numbers are building now (note that it's got colder in Europe) and game covers are getting a beating. Less than weeks and we might be able to get a decent bag again.

Good luck all....

I drive around Norfolk every day and I have seen thousands of pigeons in many locations ( some really huge amounts) .This has been the case for weeks. The temperature in Europe doesn't seem to be affecting bird numbers here, so it shouldn't be too much different a few miles south.

I notice Pigeon Controller has noted good numbers in his area.

I don't think the number have dropped at all, they are just not interested in the rape yet,

I have been out a couple of times in the last week and have shot a few, not one bird had rape in it,

They were mostly stuffed with berries, On the drive home I have seen more pigeons in gardens, sat in hedges, on the grassed areas of pavements,I think the pigeons shot were all fighting birds just going back to roost rather than wanting to feed on the rape until all this food source has gone they will not touch the rape,

Silver car parked about 300yds off the road to the right as you go from Grt. Saling down to The Palms, not far from the traveller camp on the road side?

The ones I saw were all in the trees and dropping into the three rape fields on the right as you drive up to Grt. Saling from the old 120.

Yes am fully aware I was out their from first light but the birds just would not decoy ended with a handful plus some rooks all shot over maize cover crops
Even the rotary failed to pull them in tried everything to no avail !

I saw hundreds all morning dropping in the wood just next to me so frustrating ........

Had a handful on Friday up near March, Cambs. and all the crops were full of rape and ivy berries.

I don't think the number have dropped at all, they are just not interested in the rape yet,
I have been out a couple of times in the last week and have shot a few, not one bird had rape in it,
They were mostly stuffed with berries, On the drive home I have seen more pigeons in gardens, sat in hedges, on the grassed areas of pavements,I think the pigeons shot were all fighting birds just going back to roost rather than wanting to feed on the rape until all this food source has gone they will not touch the rape,

Silver car parked about 300yds off the road to the right as you go from Grt. Saling down to The Palms, not far from the traveller camp on the road side?

The ones I saw were all in the trees and dropping into the three rape fields on the right as you drive up to Grt. Saling from the old 120.

Where's this traveller camp?? I was looking at a house in Jasper's Green and wondered why there were a lot of For Sale signs.......

I drive around Norfolk every day and I have seen thousands of pigeons in many locations ( some really huge amounts) .This has been the case for weeks. The temperature in Europe doesn't seem to be affecting bird numbers here, so it shouldn't be too much different a few miles south.

I notice Pigeon Controller has noted good numbers in his area.

Please scare them down to Essex then....

Cat.

well if the temp drops to minus 10 for a few days I will guarantee they won,t just sit in the trees they will have to feed, and if its that cold the ground will be frozen solid, and the acorns and beechmast will be frozen to the ground so they will have to look for any alternative food, I understand its not always the same arund the country habit wise and weather wise but around here the rape shooting suddenly comes to life during a cold spell it always has done, they have hardly touched the rape this winter around these parts not at all mostly but I bet a cold spell turns things around and I,ll post when it does

well if the temp drops to minus 10 for a few days I will guarantee they won,t just sit in the trees they will have to feed, and if its that cold the ground will be frozen solid, and the acorns and beechmast will be frozen to the ground so they will have to look for any alternative food, I understand its not always the same arund the country habit wise and weather wise but around here the rape shooting suddenly comes to life during a cold spell it always has done, they have hardly touched the rape this winter around these parts not at all mostly but I bet a cold spell turns things around and I,ll post when it does

Yes, I'm only too well aware that feeding habits differ from area to area, as you've pointed out before, the rape in your area comes into flower in November, remember...???:oops:

All I can say is that during the seriously cold weather we've had a couple of times around here over the past 5 years, with persistently sub zero temps and prolonged snow cover, the quantity of birds feeding on the rape has declined significantly, I'm convinced they all cleared off to areas of the Country that were snow free, they certainly didn't stick around here.

Kitch is coming down to South Herts as soon as it snows to show me how to shoot big bags of suicidal birds over rape during a blizzard, as I've only been at it nearly 40 years and haven't managed it yet.. :no:

I hope to find a spot nearby in the woods close to some Ivy covered trees and we'll have a little head count at the end of the day. :yes:

Cat.