Thermal Base Layer Recommendation

Dunkield

I wouldn't normally do this but I have been so impressed with this I thought I would share.

Having owned and used Helly Hansen, Musto base layers in the past I was pretty sceptical about something that 'only' costs about a 1/3rd of the others, so out of curiosity I had a punt and bought one.

Apart from the fact it doesn't breathe as well as the the Helly Hansen Lifa stuff I can't fault it, I even had to take it off one day beating as I was too warm, so they are probably better suited to sitting up rather than yomping about.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/simple-warm-base-layer-id_8185607.html

And no I am not connected with the company ;)

Not cheap but anything by Finisterre is superb

Here is a link to their base-layers section. A key advantage is Merino does not smell for ages!

There are loads of sports base-layers by Rab and great companies like them but if you go Finisterre, you get casual cut so you can wear it at anytime for casual etc.

Finisterre Linky

Interesting thread!

I was about to post asking which base layer people found to be better for keeping dry.

I find that ordinary thermal stuff ends up damp after walking around on the shoot so that it sort of defeats the object when I stand still afterwards as it feels cold.

Don't mind spending a reasonable amount, I'm hoping to fish on the boat right through the winter and it somehow always feels a couple of degrees colder out to sea than it does on dry land!

Although I have a load of true thermals, I far prefer to layer the high venting type under layers then synthetic fleece then wool (wool still warms when wet unlike fleece) under my coat. Most thermals get too hot make you sweat and then the wet chills. Nice thing about layering is you can always remove a layer, yet its hard to remove your thermal underwear

Although I have a load of true thermals, I far prefer to layer the high venting type under layers then synthetic fleece then wool (wool still warms when wet unlike fleece) under my coat. Most thermals get too hot make you sweat and then the wet chills. Nice thing about layering is you can always remove a layer, yet its hard to remove your thermal underwear

Apologies if considered wandering off the original subject but what set up do you use? With you on the thermals getting too hot then chilling once wet with sweat.

Interesting thread!

I was about to post asking which base layer people found to be better for keeping dry.

I find that ordinary thermal stuff ends up damp after walking around on the shoot so that it sort of defeats the object when I stand still afterwards as it feels cold.

The Helly Hansen Lifa stuff is designed for more active use, a lot of rugby players use them as under their tops.

They are thin an warm and breathe quite well.

Across the board the Decathlon homebrand stuff is great. I've used their gear for rugby, fishing, camping, hiking, cycling etc, etc and it's all well priced, rugged and fit for purpose. They have a hunting section too that's a bit hit and miss but good stuff can be had.

Their website sucks big time and is unusable, so you have to shop in the stores themselves though.

Apologies if considered wandering off the original subject but what set up do you use? With you on the thermals getting too hot then chilling once wet with sweat.

Pretty much as described. Never forget wool its the best in the field insulator whenever your likely to get wet, goose down is great as an insulator when sat out motionless. Take off or add on as required

if u ever get to france on a booze cruise their stores are far more hunting n fishing loaded.the notts one does some good stuff but the calais store has 4 times as much shooting bits ,decoys hides clothing etc and is a 1/4 of the size .i too dont work for them but like quality gear at tat shop prices

I wouldn't normally do this but I have been so impressed with this I thought I would share.

Having owned and used Helly Hansen, Musto base layers in the past I was pretty sceptical about something that 'only' costs about a 1/3rd of the others, so out of curiosity I had a punt and bought one.

Apart from the fact it doesn't breathe as well as the the Helly Hansen Lifa stuff I can't fault it, I even had to take it off one day beating as I was too warm, so they are probably better suited to sitting up rather than yomping about.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/simple-warm-base-layer-id_8185607.html

And no I am not connected with the company ;)

Hows the sizing ? , I am 43" Chest so wondering if XL is the one to go for ?

Thanks

Howies merino stuff works well for me. Not light on the wallet but they're made to last and never have to be thrown out due to them never getting build ups of nasty smells.

Looks like it's perfect for those long stands next week Stu :) Hopefully they won't have you hiking like last year!

I can't get on with merino base layers, despite what everyone says I always find they itch, but I have never bought high end stuff.

I like the look of Howies stuff but would prefer to buy it in the sales, might be one for the Christmas list

Are you out on Sunday Nik? we are doing VV.

Hows the sizing ? , I am 43" Chest so wondering if XL is the one to go for ?

Thanks

I bought a medium and it fits perfectly - not sure if that helps :)

They aren't big or 'Italian fit' just normal 'as is' if you get my drift

I can't get on with merino base layers, despite what everyone says I always find they itch, but I have never bought high end stuff.

I like the look of Howies stuff but would prefer to buy it in the sales, might be one for the Christmas list

Are you out on Sunday Nik? we are doing VV.

I bought a medium and it fits perfectly - not sure if that helps :)

They aren't big or 'Italian fit' just normal 'as is' if you get my drift

Thanks for reply

For the last two winters I have really been impressed with the all in one base layer thermals off the bay. For roofing work where lots of stretching/reaching is involved never had a bare/ untucked back all winter, warm as and never sweat in them at work so no problem walking/ shooting. I will say this though , have a dump before you leave home ;-)

atvb Paul.