shoot and be safe

I would like to say a big thank you to ayano3 for a great weekend :good:

Going back to the North vs. South charity clay shoot in June this year, I was lucky enough to win a day’s guided wildfowling on the Wash donated by ayano3 and courtesy of Holbeach & District Wildfowling Club. Well this was the weekend for myself to take up the challenge.

The good lady and I set off from North Wales on Friday afternoon with the little pup in the general direction of the wash. Not a bad trip if you don't count the M6 being closed, major roadworks around Nottingham, and the "odd Muslim having a pee at the side off the road" :whistling: Anyway we arrived at the Travelodge around 19:00, got checked in and went into town for some supplies.

Graham (ayano3) phoned and asked if we had a good trip and said if we fancied a drink, he would come over to the pub next door to the hotel, where we could meet and discuss what the plan would be for the following day :beer: This was a date. The question was asked as to how I would recognise him, "Will you be wearing a white suit with a carnation," was a question that passed my lips :lol: Anyway we had a couple of beers and it was great to meet Graham's wife, Carol, who Graham had nominated driver.

The plan was that we would meet up at 04:30 and Graham would drive us over to the marsh, alarm set and off to bed. There was a stag party staying in the same hotel and at around 03:30 one of the inebriated chaps thought he was staying in our room and trying his key card in our door, we didn't need the alarm after all :/

04:30, kit all ready, Graham pulls into the car park. This was a chance for the dogs to meet, and they got on well. Load up and short journey to the marsh. On arriving at the parking area, there were already a few cars parked up and more pulling in behind. Graham had arranged for a couple of other wildfowlers to join us on the marsh. They shall have to remain anonymous as my memory has let me down :blush:

We all got kitted out and took a 15 minute stroll along the sea defence till we reached the favoured creek, then proceded out on to the marsh for about 800 yards. We set up on a ledge on the side of the creek and I have to say it was extremely comfy. The pup wasn't too keen on sitting still, but she was well behaved, apart from sneaking over and pinching Graham's coffee cup :blush:

After about 15 minutes the marsh began to wake up. Loads of Curlew flying about, Red Shank, then from nowhere a flock of Teal shot past less than 6 feet above our heads at frightening speed, <mod’s we need a tin hat smiley here> I heard them first, but by the time I saw them they were well out of range.

Shortly after the first skein of geese lifted in the distance, what a sound and it certainly gets the adrenalin pumping. Graham was quickly on the call trying to bring them in closer; it was a good effort, but 500 yards off. The second skein were closer but still out of range, 80 yards up and 80 yards over. Sadly all the other geese were the other side of the marsh. We sat there till around 09:00 and enjoyed the red shank flying past and landing on the splash that was just in front of us.

redshank_zpsd4e3010b.jpg

The rain was threatening and the decision was made, time for breakfast :good: We all packed up and headed back over a challenging bridge

20131123_083212_zps23a2dfce.jpg

back to the vehicles.

20131123_083218_zpsbed21248.jpg

I won't bore you with the details of the breakfast but it was fantastic :good: This concluded the morning flight.

The evening flight was a rendezvous at the hotel for 14:30 and back to the same parking area. Big Mat led the welcoming committee and the marsh warden arrived soon after with the "mad dog" :lol: This time we walked the opposite way along the sea wall, as we did for the morning flight, for about 20/25 minutes. There was a load of Brents in the field to our left and they lifted as we turned out onto the marsh.

brents_zps6f16822e.jpg

In the distance Big Mat spotted another wildfowler walking out to the edge of the marsh, Graham said that if we were to go to his preferred spot then we would spoil that chap's shooting. There was nothing to stop us setting up there, but out of respect to the guys efforts to walk out well over 2 miles we would move to a different spot.

The position we settled on was on the side of a grass bank offering us cover from the geese and the wind. Again we sat and waited. As the light was fading we could hear the geese in the distance. These were heading straight for our position, we were on for a shot or two :yahoo:

No such luck, they were up around 150+ yards when directly over head :/ There was another skein coming in behind but again these were too high. We waited as long as the light allowed and then called it a night, well as far as shooting was concerned :whistling:

Back to the hotel to sort the pup out with some more well deserved food. She loved the day out on the marsh and surprisingly stayed quite clean :good:

20131123_083500_zps095b8f3f.jpg

A quick shower and we were set for a meal at the Chinese with Graham and Carol followed by a few beers in town. We had a good time and a few beers watching the boxing, “don’t kiss him, hit him” :lol: couldn’t get over the size of Prince Naseem Hamed :whistling:

It was a shame that we didn't manage to get a shot at anything, but the time and experience we had was most enjoyable. Amy and I were made to feel very welcome by Graham and his family. We both enjoyed our weekend very much.

Once again, I would like to thank Graham and Carol very much for a fantastic weekend.

:thanks: THANK YOU :thanks:

Mark.

Cracking pictures as well gives you a nice feel for the place, that pup looks a little peed off mind :lol: .

The pictures were all taken by the good lady. She was the only one getting any shooting, over 100 shots with the "box brownie" :lol:

The photo of the pup was at the end of the morning flight, she was peed off that we had to leave her new playground :whistling:

Great write up, sounds like you had a cracking time. As has been said, its not always about getting the shot but enjoying a new place in good company makes the time spent out all the more enjoyable..

The chance of a shot was a tiny part of the day. Just to be out on the marsh and witness the sight and sound of the geese coming over, the teal flying past at lightening speed and not to mention all the other birds. This experience will always stay in my memory.

Ayano3 is a good un.

He has helped a fair few on here.

Hcc

Certainly is, can't wait till he joins us for a day on the Crown Shoot :good:

The pictures were all taken by the good lady. She was the only one getting any shooting, over 100 shots with the "box brownie" :lol:

The photo of the pup was at the end of the morning flight, she was peed off that we had to leave her new playground :whistling:

The chance of a shot was a tiny part of the day. Just to be out on the marsh and witness the sight and sound of the geese coming over, the teal flying past at lightening speed and not to mention all the other birds. This experience will always stay in my memory.

Certainly is, can't wait till he joins us for a day on the Crown Shoot :good:

So he will be on my team :hmm: maybe he can work the middle of the nant drive then :big_boss::D

That's a great summary Mark, it covers the trip over pretty well I think. I would just like to add a few things myself.

Both Carol and I enjoyed the company of you and your better half. It was great to get the white suit and carnation on again, the last time was in 1978 :lol: . I always share the driving with the wife as its only fair. I drive there and she drives home. The anonymous wildfowlers... Phil and Richard (Richard is on here but I cant think of his name, Rich something I think). The dogs did get on great as your dog didn't stick its nose up my dogs **** for the duration of the visit, some dogs do and she puts them in their place. Even though she is so placid she don't suffer dogs who are on the sex offender list for very long. The game you play with the pup is very entertaining by the way....give me that cup....you chase me and you can have it.....dead dead....shove off you catch me first.....pleaseeeeeee that's Grahams cup......chase me chase me :lol: Lovely little dog though and for one so young she was fine. That bridge is well built, you should have seen it before :/it needed waders to get over the bridge. I promise I did try my very hardest to get you close to the geese, that's all you can ever hope for with wildfowling, when you think of the area we shoot we did great to be almost within shooting distance. I have no idea why you didn't treble those Teal, they were right suckers :yahoo: .

Going back to the Charity Shoot, well done for taking part and supporting a very worthy charity. Thanks also for donating to the raffle. Its not me who should be receiving the thanks it should really be you Mark as its you who has been prepared to travel almost the width of the country to share a small amount of time taking part in what wildfowlers love to do...get soaked to the skin, frozen cold and sit in mud just in hope, whilst enjoying some of the most wonderful sights, those you could not buy for any money.

Looking forward to January. :good:

That's a great summary Mark, it covers the trip over pretty well I think. I would just like to add a few things myself.

Both Carol and I enjoyed the company of you and your better half. It was great to get the white suit and carnation on again, the last time was in 1978 :lol: . I always share the driving with the wife as its only fair. I drive there and she drives home. The anonymous wildfowlers... Phil and Richard (Richard is on here but I cant think of his name, Rich something I think). The dogs did get on great as your dog didn't stick its nose up my dogs **** for the duration of the visit, some dogs do and she puts them in their place. Even though she is so placid she don't suffer dogs who are on the sex offender list for very long. The game you play with the pup is very entertaining by the way....give me that cup....you chase me and you can have it.....dead dead....shove off you catch me first.....pleaseeeeeee that's Grahams cup......chase me chase me :lol: Lovely little dog though and for one so young she was fine. That bridge is well built, you should have seen it before :/it needed waders to get over the bridge. I promise I did try my very hardest to get you close to the geese, that's all you can ever hope for with wildfowling, when you think of the area we shoot we did great to be almost within shooting distance. I have no idea why you didn't treble those Teal, they were right suckers :yahoo: .

Going back to the Charity Shoot, well done for taking part and supporting a very worthy charity. Thanks also for donating to the raffle. Its not me who should be receiving the thanks it should really be you Mark as its you who has been prepared to travel almost the width of the country to share a small amount of time taking part in what wildfowlers love to do...get soaked to the skin, frozen cold and sit in mud just in hope, whilst enjoying some of the most wonderful sights, those you could not buy for any money.

Graham , talking of dogs and cups ask Big Mat about the chicken soup incident when we were at Earith :lol:

Both Carol and I enjoyed the company of you and your better half. It was great to get the white suit and carnation on again, the last time was in 1978 :lol: .You were missing the medallion though I always share the driving with the wife as its only fair. I drive there and she drives home. The anonymous wildfowlers... Phil and Richard (Richard is on here but I cant think of his name, Rich something I think). The dogs did get on great as your dog didn't stick its nose up my dogs **** for the duration of the visit, some dogs do and she puts them in their place. Even though she is so placid she don't suffer dogs who are on the sex offender list for very long. The game you play with the pup is very entertaining by the way....give me that cup....you chase me and you can have it.....dead dead....shove off you catch me first.....pleaseeeeeee that's Grahams cup...... "chase me chase me". That's what you were saying to me :lol: Lovely little dog though and for one so young she was fine. That bridge is well built, you should have seen it before :/it needed waders to get over the bridge. I promise I did try my very hardest to get you close to the geese, that's all you can ever hope for with wildfowling, when you think of the area we shoot we did great to be almost within shooting distance.You did a great job, sadly 80yards not good enough :lol: :lol: I have no idea why you didn't treble those Teal, they were right suckers :yahoo: . I was busy at the time scratching my balls :blush:

soldier_smiley17.gif Thats perfect, could we have PW instead of SP on the tin hat :lol:

soldier_smiley22.gif

:shaun: