Does this choke sound right?

spandit

Could well be right. It is usual (though there are exceptions) that the right barrel has less choke. Remember that choke 'by measurement' is only an approximation since it depends on the main bore diameter (most measurement based choke approximations assume the main bore is .719") and other factors (forcing cone shape, choke profile etc.) and guns will also pattern differently with different brands of cartridge.

Remember that choke 'by measurement' is only an approximation since it depends on the main bore diameter (most measurement based choke approximations assume the main bore is .719") and other factors (forcing cone shape, choke profile etc.) and guns will also pattern differently with different brands of cartridge.

Is the correct answer.

You are absolutely right. 12 bore is .729. My mistake, but a lot of older English guns are proved at .719, known as a 13/1. My mistake and you are right at .729

No harm done, mine doesn't have the original barrels, don't know how old they are (reckon the rest of it is 100 years old or so)

My understanding was that a bore of .724" to .729" was considered 12 bore (18.4-18.7mm.)

constrictions of choke taken by measuring constrictionsat muzzle against actual barrel bore.

from actual, 0.005-0.008" constrictionusually taken as skeet, 0.010" as 1/4, 0.020 as 1/2 , 0.030" as 3/4 and 0.040" as full

not sure exactly how the imperial bore constrictions metricate though!

as said before its actual measured not as stamped on the barrel. Don't assume on a double gun that both barrels will be exactly the same for bore measurement either

A "12 bore" ranges from .710"(13 in old money) to .740(12/1) with .719(13/1) and .729 (12) in between. Old English guns don't use Skeet; 0.005" is taken as I/C with 10, 20, 30 and 40 thou as 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full respectively. The smallest measured increment of choke is usually 1/8 (0.005"). Choke is the relative difference between the muzzle constriction and the bore measured 9" up from the muzzle. To accurately measure choke you need a proper (Chubbs type)bore gauge. I've never had an English gun with choke sizes marked on the barrel flats. Even if the flats have the degree of choke marked on them it may no longer be accurate if any barrel work has been carried out.

The correct way to measure choke is to measure the barrel and then measure the choke 40 Thou being full choke ,no brass gauge or caliper will do this correctly don't take what it says on the barrel lots of old UK guns have been honed out to remove pitting .

Deershooter

:yes::yes::yes: ......or simply the owner wanted something different. :good:

Lots of "Old English" guns have chokes like yours, 1/4 in the first barrel and full in the second because lots of shooting was carried out "walked up".

You took the first shot when the bird was fairly close and if you missed it had flown futher away so needed a tighter pattern to put it down.

Could be a fair advantage if you shoot decoyed pigeon, tight barrel first (when the bird is coming towards you) and in the unlikely event of you missing he gets the second barrel when he is a lot closer!