Which hide net??

yidoharry

Hi everyone, Im very new to the sport and I'm slowly building up my equipment after purchasing my gun, seat and clothing. Next on the list is a decent hide net and poles. With so many on the market and my limited knowledge I was hoping that you guys could at the very least point me in the right direction. Budget wise im willing to spend what needs to be spent in order to get something that will do the job and last rather than going for the cheapest only to find it falls apart and is not up for the job. Many thanks in advance.

Most people will have their own opinions , but if it is of any help to you, I bought a stealth ghost net from A1 and have found it to be very effective and good value for money.

Their service was good and delivery was quick.

Don't be tempted to buy just a clear view net as they are exactly that. Surprisingly enough just as you can see out through them clearly so can your prey see in.

I have a clear view net which I use in conjunction with the stealth net and I use that on the inside and set about 6 inches higher than the stealth one so that you can see birds approaching. Remember that it isn't just about not being seen but also about your movement within your hide.

I also found that some form of face/head covering was of significance too.

Just my observations, others have vastly more experience than me.

Good luck.

I got a stealth net I forget where I bought it either AA or A1 decoys its alright but I find it a pest for blowing about the place and they seem to be drawn to any thorns you have them near, while it is a good bit of kit I still use my army net most, if like me most of your hides are in hawthorn hedges or in among brambles then an army net is a must over a stealth net IMO

I was using Ghost stealth net but it was still a bit too transparent for my liking..stuff inside the hide like seat bags etc still easily visible.

So I got some Swedish Army Camo from a local military store, and the combination of the two, layered, is pretty darn perfect.

Any reason you purchased it from a Swedish army supplies?? Are they better?

Strange as this may sound, but it's true, camo netting is like a lot of things, it's about personal preference. What may annoy one person about something, might not bother the next.

I've had all sorts of nets, but my preferred one is my stealth net.

Main reason is it's so light. When you've got a load of gear to carry across several fields, weight , for me is an issue.

Having said that, I bought my stealth net when they first appeared ,a long long time ago. I've been at a couple of game fairs this year, and I was looking at them there. They don't seem anywhere near the quality of the one I've got. They appear more flimsy and lighter and more see through.

So I probably wouldn't recommend the newer ones. You're probably just going to have to bite the bullet, buy something and hope you like it.

Any reason you purchased it from a Swedish army supplies?? Are they better?

I heard anecdotally that the Swedish is the one to go for, but to be honest, I wasn't that fussed. It was just what the guy in my local shop had in. But he reckons it is better, because of the way the camou strips are fixed to the netting. Better quality & more durable apparently.

On its own it's a little loose & open, but over the ghost net it really makes the hide blend in. Plus the two types are different colours, so you can swap them over depending on the background.

I use two stealth nets (weight is critical and they don't tangle) and hang them like Indio above. Get one in woodland (dark green) and one in harvest so you can change them with the back ground. Go for 5m lengths as there are three spans between 4 hide poles and the extra two meters makes the gaps from the last pole to the hedge. I agree with the posts above about thorns and brambles but ( i shoot 3 -4 times a week) its manageable.

The Swedish gear is made by Saab and IMO the best out there.

This all very good advice and im chuffed to bits that so many of you guys have taken the time to point me in the right direction....just one last question though....where can I get some of the swedish nets from??

I use two 5m wide stealth nets + some cheap light stuff as extra shade for the back/roof. The stealth nets are fine at the front of the hide if you reduce the light from above and behind you. If you have sunlight coming in to the hide you are in full view behind a "stealth" net. What material and how much you need depends on location. If you can get under a bush in a thick hedge a single layer of stealth netting will be fine . If your in the middle of a field in full sun then you need plenty of x-army heavy camo.

I got 2 stealth nets and poles from A1 for a good price.

Yeah that's the stuff. I think £80 is roughly the going rate for 5m sq, though I was lucky enough to get a good second hand bit, for £45... The thing is, 5m wide is perfect, but you only need it 1.5m - 2m high, so you can easily cut it into 2 or 3 bits, and flog some of it on the forum, to ease the cost.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the one ive bought but in 5m , if so its great but you must have a good background with not too much light coming through..

Agree, looks like mine too (colour, pattern , shape of cut etc) but I'd suggest you'll find it more transparent than that picture really shows. Which is why I double it with some ex-army camou when neccesary.

i got a clearview and put some of the black membrane stuff[ what ya put down on earth to keep weeds down' ]also put it down on eartth before gravell goes down. its black. non shine, waterproof, doesnt russle, flexable. i stitched it on the back of me clearview. left maybe 6inches clearview at the top. works good.. :good:

A1 do a starter pack: something like 12 pigeons, 4m hide net, 4 x poles and a big sack for about £70 inc delivery. cant really go wrong with that mate

Typical!!! Just had a look at that but I have everything apart from the bag now!! Finding that hard as need something big enough to carry my decoys flappers etc......any ideas?7