recommend a shotgun

mikky

She can use any gun she wants.

Recoil shouldn't be an issue IF she has a gun that fits and a decent mount and stance.

This young lady uses a 12g Perazzi with Eley Blues cartridges...

amberhill.jpg

fair comment...its how many times she is going to get a whack until she figures it out,

fair comment...its how many times she is going to get a whack until she figures it out,

I guess that depends on how far she wants to take the sport?

Obviously to start with you could use 21g cartridges, and teach her the correct way to mount the gun, show her how to obtain a good, solid and CONSISTENT mount.

How big is your missus compared to you? Height and arm length in particular?

I guess that depends on how far she wants to take the sport?

Obviously to start with you could use 21g cartridges, and teach her the correct way to mount the gun, show her how to obtain a good, solid and CONSISTENT mount.

How big is your missus compared to you? Height and arm length in particular?

she wants to come down with me and my lad,first time today for her ,tried to tell her what to do,frightened to death about the noise,recoil....but wants to be involved as a family...would like to start her on a gun with minimum recoil to get her confidence up and more shots at clays without hurting her shoulder..my guns dont fit her.....its good to have her down there trying to get involved

she wants to come down with me and my lad,first time today for her ,tried to tell her what to do,frightened to death about the noise,recoil....but wants to be involved as a family...would like to start her on a gun with minimum recoil to get her confidence up and more shots at clays without hurting her shoulder..my guns dont fit her.....its good to have her down there trying to get involved

I'm guessing your guns are too long in the stock?

Have a word with 'wabbitbosher' on here, see if he can get you a nice, cheap o/u that you can chop about. Cut the stock down to fit, add a decent recoil pad, 21g cartridges, 28" barrels and off you go. You may need to adjust the comb on the stock also, but it's easily done. There are other adjustments that can be made to fine tune the fit, but start with the basics and she should find a massive difference. Fit is important, but to start with 'close enough is good enough' :good:

Girlfriend started with a o/u lanber in 12 bore with 28g carts and she is 8 stone wet through.

Use a gun that fits and get her stance and mount acceptable. We've all had a wack to the chops from the stock and it's not pleasant, maybe start with the gun mounted correctly and an easy clay to build confidence, 21g carts etc.

Wouldny rush to a semi as it may not help matters if the basics are ignored.

Guest cookoff013

Start by using Sub Sonic VLR (Very Low Recoil) cartridges. There is virtually no recoil when using these and they are obviously quieter as well.

I would opt for a 20g and subsonic cartridges, that would be a nice gun to start.

these are the best replies to the thread.

subs and vlr shells should be staple for first timers and youth shooters. who have yet to develop the strength to start.

i took out a work colleague last month. they spent alot of time in the states and were put off by the 32gram loads and the 36gram target loads !

i took out the 21gram loads and we shot alot. ~200 shells each. and he was amazed at the lack of recoil and how good he was,

now subs and vlr shells are not to be snuffed at. they pattern great, and have low recoil. you`d not really notice a drop off in performance unless you started shooting 50yarders.

now the 21gram subs are about the lightest you`d want, and that would be through a lite 20gauge, (handling and recoil)

i would suggest going "out of your way" to accommodate these shells, because you dont want to put off the mrs by using bad shells. i`ve seen some people knocked about by english sprouters and silly game shells.

subs cost more, but they are cheaper than an expensive gun, to get butchered to fit, then still recoil, because the shells are too much. obviously at a later date you can try and introduce 21 and 24gram loads respectively.

a friend of mine even doesnt like 24g RC2 ! they rock !

these are the best replies to the thread.

subs and vlr shells should be staple for first timers and youth shooters. who have yet to develop the strength to start.

i took out a work colleague last month. they spent alot of time in the states and were put off by the 32gram loads and the 36gram target loads !

i took out the 21gram loads and we shot alot. ~200 shells each. and he was amazed at the lack of recoil and how good he was,

now subs and vlr shells are not to be snuffed at. they pattern great, and have low recoil. you`d not really notice a drop off in performance unless you started shooting 50yarders.

now the 21gram subs are about the lightest you`d want, and that would be through a lite 20gauge, (handling and recoil)

i would suggest going "out of your way" to accommodate these shells, because you dont want to put off the mrs by using bad shells. i`ve seen some people knocked about by english sprouters and silly game shells.

subs cost more, but they are cheaper than an expensive gun, to get butchered to fit, then still recoil, because the shells are too much. obviously at a later date you can try and introduce 21 and 24gram loads respectively.

a friend of mine even doesnt like 24g RC2 ! they rock !

thanks for your replies...will try and get a 20g next week and some subs

She can use any gun she wants.

Recoil shouldn't be an issue IF she has a gun that fits and a decent mount and stance.

This young lady uses a 12g Perazzi with Eley Blues cartridges...

amberhill.jpg

Well she will thats a guerini in her hands............

Personally a well fitting 12G OU and 21g carts (CompX if you can find em) works well, if hiring a gun then 20's are ok but more expensive to buy and feed (and the 1 in 1000 risk of dropping a 20 into a 12.......... )

Edited by HDAV

Personally a well fitting 12G OU and 21g carts (CompX if you can find em) works well, if hiring a gun then 20's are ok but more expensive to buy and feed (and the 1 in 1000 risk of dropping a 20 into a 12.......... )

ive got some compx carts if you want to give them a try pal think there 28g tho

A Guerini in that pic, but she's now sponsored by and using a Perazzi, which is pretty irrelevant to be honest. My point was, and still is, that the OP's partner should be able to use any gun she likes, and that recoil won't be a problem as long as her stance and mount are sorted, and she uses a gun which is a decent fit.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a 20g, too limited in choice and too expensive to run.

Guest cookoff013

is a 20gauge that much more expensive to run than a 12?

if we are talking subsonics then there is very little difference between the two...

they both are £210-208 per 1000. thats comparing 20gauge vs 12gauge. so that argument is slightly flawed. but so is availability of shells is the problem.

i dont even think the expense is even worth calculating. unless the mrs is going to go through 10,000 shells in her first year.??

My point was, and still is, that the OP's partner should be able to use any gun she likes, and that recoil won't be a problem as long as her stance and mount are sorted, and she uses a gun which is a decent fit.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a 20g, too limited in choice and too expensive to run.

Completely agree, but I would add that she needs the strength to comfortably handle a full weight 12 - and not all women do. Amber is not alone either, there are plenty of women of all ages and sizes out there shooting 12s with 28g shells for registered sporting.

The fact is your missus will get bruised first time out with whatever gun/shell combination she uses,as almost everyone does, but IMO only go with a 20 if gun weight is an issue. As for subsonics, they're not much different in recoil terms from proper shells - just less noisy.

If she can heft a 12 then pass on the 20. Start her off with 21 or 24gm standard shells and explain that it takes a couple of hundred shells for the body to adapt.

Completely agree, but I would add that she needs the strength to comfortably handle a full weight 12 - and not all women do. Amber is not alone either, there are plenty of women of all ages and sizes out there shooting 12s with 28g shells for registered sporting.

pt.

I expect Amber does not use 28g cartridges especially for her Olympic Skeet! As she would not be no1 in GB if she did as it's against the rules!!!

I am really wanting my wife to try as I think she would enjoy it.

Be careful what you wish for.......

21g compX or similar should be £150-160 per 1000 compared to £210 for 20g subs which can be hard to find everywhere should stock a 21g 12G shell

Edited by HDAV