wabbits

Fisherman Mike

Where are they all.. ?

Anyone else noticed a general decline in Rabbit numbers in the last 10 or so years ?

Certainly around my shooting grounds they are, dare I say it, getting scarce and are no where near the numbers of the 80's & 90's.

I think many colonies have bred in an immunity to myxy to some extent, but burgeoning fox and buzzard numbers are certainly keeping populations in check.

Am I alone in these findings. ?

People keep shooting them - what do you expect !

True enough but since I've been shooting aged 15..in 40 years rabbit numbers were always sustainable...I probably shot or netted 500 a year between 1980 and 2000 and really never scratched the surface of numbers on the land I shoot...these days though I'm lucky to see 2 or 3 a night..let alone shoot them. you don't even see road kill on the roads either.

Hi Mike. To be fair I haven't been out on the rabbits since the summer but I was seeing a lot, and as I can't sit still for five minutes I was mainly doing walk-around shooting. Fewer than half a dozen in a couple of hours stroll would have been a disappointment.

This is on grazing land bordered by woodland. Couple with mixy but mostly healthy.

They'd reached plague proportions round here (central Scotland) prior to the two severe winters a couple of years ago. Those seemed to do for them, and now we're seeing only a handful here and there. I think the Myx has caused the evolution of a strain that no longer dig the deep burrows they used to dig. I think the shallow burrows make them vulnerable to both cold and predators. I presume the deep burrows of old tended, with their close atmosphere, to promote the spread of the disease. Just a theory.

I had eight permissions covering South Bucks and Berkshire, until a couple of months ago and would have said that numbers were down, but I think that was because I kept shooting them. I restarted an old permission and got another three this autumn and have been averaging six, or seven a visit on these new areas, only shooting during the afternoon.

qQYxHmG.jpg

This was last week during the afternoon, following a two hour stake out on a hill overlooking a farm, shooting out to 120 yards with my CZ452 .17HMR. If you check out my blog post http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/cz452-17-hmr-excells-at-long-range-sniping/ . In the photo of the farm, you can see a small paddock. I shot a dozen rabbits in there at close range using my Magtech 7022 .22lr semi auto, when I first started on this permission. Now I have to use the HMR. In the blog I show some of the damage the rabbits have done.