Cartridge advise

whichevers on offer at the time 6 30's decoying, 5 32's for high tree roost shooting,rabbits, although to be fair i havnt noticed the difference in hit rate with either

Yup... 32g x 6's a minimum for me. It's amazing how much it takes to kill a pigeon dead sometimes, especially if they have a crop full of grain or acorns. If I can get them I prefer 5's for that extra bit of stopping power.

Yup... 32g x 6's a minimum for me. It's amazing how much it takes to kill a pigeon dead sometimes, especially if they have a crop full of grain or acorns. If I can get them I prefer 5's for that extra bit of stopping power.

if i ***** a bird when using 5's 32 , i know they pattern well i only have myself to blame, i use 6's out to 30 yards but anything more if planned id rather have the extra stopping power like you say, i then know the guns performing, i have the right carts, if i miss all i can do is kick myself.

What difference does it make how full a bird's crop is? It doesn't take much to kill a pigeon.

Hull Soverign Fitasc 1600fps 28g 6.5 fibre

This is good advice and the fastest cartridge on the market. Did you know that they tried these in four shot I tried them on a pattern plate out to 70yds.They were fantastic so bought a thousand and now they don't make them any more. My advice is not the cartridge its the one behind the gum that make the difference. Go shoot some clays and get your capabilities and shoot according. Most of all enjoy your sport. At this time I am using Hull 28g 4s full choke.

KENT HIGH VELOCITY 6'S, at £165 per thousand, 1400 fps, 28 gram load, gets me birds out to 50 yards, good pattern through improved or half choke, Best shot was 62 yards through full choke , which may not be spectacular but is good enough for me. :good::good:

Where are you getting them from at that price if you don't mind??

I tried 28g Saga Export I was well impressed with them although I moved to 1/2 choke instead of 1/4

Alan

This is good advice and the fastest cartridge on the market. Did you know that they tried these in four shot I tried them on a pattern plate out to 70yds.They were fantastic so bought a thousand and now they don't make them any more. My advice is not the cartridge its the one behind the gum that make the difference. Go shoot some clays and get your capabilities and shoot according. Most of all enjoy your sport. At this time I am using Hull 28g 4s full choke.

4s? Interesting choice.

Did nobody else read the article in Shooting Times a couple of weeks ago?

They did the maths on velocity correlation to distance, on a 30 mph clay at 35 yards, the clay would have moved a whole 4" further by the time the slower load arrived, hardly the end of the world in a 30" pattern. The only real benefit is a bit more energy when it arrives, so only really valid on really rangy stuff.

I'm with Motty on this one.

If it goes BANG it'll bring down a woodpigeon :lol:

As long as you're pointing it in the right direction. That will be the only thing wrong if it doesn't bring it down.

I recommend ANY shell that is 28 - 32 gram 7.5 - 5 shot. Any choke from improved cylinder to full will work well.

Edited by caeser