Norfolk keeper charged

RossEM

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? The Buzzards I nearly get nine in his possession sort of speaks we need to be more open to granting special licence, though there is the chance he was (if guilty) after profiting from a buyer in the taxidermy trade. Tawny owl no reason at all more good than bad can come of them a sparrow hawk? looks like another rouge keeper getting all keepers a bad name and shooting estates in general.

End of career if found guilty, end of shooting and a big old fine or worse on balance not good at all.

Lets hope he is innocent and proves it but it don't look good does it

Lets hope he's innocent ?? ...

Lets hope the true facts come in court !! ...

If he's innocent, then its apologies all round and undobtedly compensation etc ... if he's guilty and thats for a jury to decide .. the full weight off the law should be bqrought done upon him .. l'd be happy for a custodial sentence,, life time ban, regards all firearms usage/ownership etc plus a four figure sum fine ... thats according to the verdict outcome being guilty ...

I fail to see any link whatsoever regards the illegal activity of shooting protected birds and future licencing regards to permission to control a specific species ...its leaning towards an excuse or reason for what has illegally took place ... its ILLEGAL ... protected species can not be shot ... there is no link

Lets hope he's innocent ?? ...

Lets hope the true facts come in court !! ...

If he's innocent, then its apologies all round and undobtedly compensation etc ... if he's guilty and thats for a jury to decide .. the full weight off the law should be bqrought done upon him .. l'd be happy for a custodial sentence,, life time ban, regards all firearms usage/ownership etc plus a four figure sum fine ... thats according to the verdict outcome being guilty ...

I fail to see any link whatsoever regards the illegal activity of shooting protected birds and future licencing regards to permission to control a specific species ...its leaning towards an excuse or reason for what has illegally took place ... its ILLEGAL ... protected species can not be shot ... there is no link

My comments are linked to the fact that Buzzards are really common is some areas and under LAW licences can be granted once all other methods have been tried however it just aint happening. I totally agree though the law is not to be broken. I used to stalk on an estate were they were inundated with them, the keeper was tearing his hair out and had tried everything non lythal. Breaking the law brings every keeper into dis-repute and shooting in general though so its not an option

I know the estate well and a couple of the former keepers . Unfortunately some keepers are not as green as they make them selves out to be . I hope he goes to jail ,and I think he will .

This estate is not far from where I shoot and will be well known by a number of members on here . I have been watching these birds for a few years now . They give me great pleasure to see them soring about the country side . I dont think that the killing of these birds would have any thing to do with the estate management .

Harnser.

My comments are linked to the fact that Buzzards are really common is some areas and under LAW licences can be granted once all other methods have been tried however it just aint happening. I totally agree though the law is not to be broken. I used to stalk on an estate were they were inundated with them, the keeper was tearing his hair out and had tried everything non lythal. Breaking the law brings every keeper into dis-repute and shooting in general though so its not an option

If he had killed 14 Buzzards in a couple of months then could it suggest they were a problem?

Bloke I know shot 28 foxes on one piece of land in 3 months, which is currently legal but got much criticism from anti's.

Of course Buzzards are protected and one shouldn't break the law, I've little sympathy for him on that note, but the frothing of the mouth about this reminds me of anti-hunt people getting all emotional because foxy-woxy might get killed and I've no doubt there is plenty of political motivation from seeing him hung out to dry.

i used to have permission on an estate,the keeper left and a new one took over(part of a syndicate),he wanted to meet everybody who shot there,i met him and we went for a drive around the estate,and to my astonishment he pulled over, got his rifle out(.22) and started taking shots at a buzzard sitting on a fence post some 120 yds away saying they were major pheasant killers

i made my feelings known to him and no longer shoot on that estate for that and other reasons,i found it wrong and totally uncalled for

If he had killed 14 Buzzards in a couple of months then could it suggest they were a problem?

Bloke I know shot 28 foxes on one piece of land in 3 months, which is currently legal but got much criticism from anti's.

Of course Buzzards are protected and one shouldn't break the law, I've little sympathy for him on that note, but the frothing of the mouth about this reminds me of anti-hunt people getting all emotional because foxy-woxy might get killed and I've no doubt there is plenty of political motivation from seeing him hung out to dry.

I couldn't agree with you more.

If DEFRA were more realistic about issuing licenses this sort of thing would never happen.

... but the frothing of the mouth about this reminds me of anti-hunt people getting all emotional because foxy-woxy might get killed and I've no doubt there is plenty of political motivation from seeing him hung out to dry.

The 'frothing' has nothing to do with being anti in any way. It's because every time a rogue keeper does this sort of thing it reflects badly on the WHOLE shooting community, not just 'keepers, and whacks another nail in the coffin.

What is it with game shoots? Not all I appreciate, or come to that the majority, but SOME do seem to think they are above the law. Guns using illegal shot on wildfowl (already pretty much conclusively pinned on the game shoots) and their 'keepers illegally killing BOP. I can't think of another area of shooting causing shooters so many headaches!

The 'frothing' has nothing to do with being anti in any way. It's because every time a rogue keeper does this sort of thing it reflects badly on the WHOLE shooting community, not just 'keepers, and whacks another nail in the coffin.

Absolute cobblers, to be frank I'm sick of hearing this.

I'm off out in my car in a minute, if I do a hit & run while I'm out will that reflect badly on Jenson Button? If I beat my neighbour to death with a shovel will Monty Don come in for criticism?

Why do you feel you have to be responsible for a man you've never met before breaking the law?

You're feeding the anti's with this guilt complex.

I won't bow and scrape and apologise for him.

Its nothing to do with me, I don't break the law and I won't take any criticism because this bloke did, even if he does wear a pair of wellies in a field like me occasionally.

I'm still struggling to understand the indignation, its an illegal act by one individual, like shop lifting or car theft, I don't see why the shoot should be closed down or why people would refuse to shoot there because an individual employee commited an illegal act - unless the estate sanctioned it.

If he killed all those buzzards in such a short space of time then they appear to be as much of a problem as foxes.

And none of you whine when foxes get culled.

If, and I repeat IF, this person is proven to be guilty, then he deserves all that he gets. I would like to know who has brought the prosecution though. If it is the local Police W.L.O. there could be some truth in the matter. If it is one of our'protection' societies, I will remain open minded. The problem with the Wildlife and Countryside Act, the onus is on the Defendant to prove their innocence, unlike other crime where you are innocent until proven guilty.

If he killed all those buzzards in such a short space of time then they appear to be as much of a problem as foxes.

You can choose to believe this if you like, but, in my experience, the general public always associate gamekeepers with game shoots and game shoots with shooters.

The buzzards may well need culling, but it's illegal to cull BOP. It's not illegal to cull foxes which is why you don't hear the 'whines' when a fox gets shot.

Wot is the point in threads like these??

There is absolutely no point in us highlighting anything here with th info given, so wot good does highlighting it and trail by PW do anyone or shooting in general

Yes the keeper has broke the law (if guilty) and he would know full well wot he was doing at the time, but with the tiny bit off information in that article it's a bit early for hung drawing and quartering just yet. But if guilty deserves everything coming his way

Unfortunately it still happens but it really is a tiny percentage of keepers/shoots nowadays, most show amazing restriant when ur job etc is on the line, wot's the point in being out all nite controlling foxes when a BOP can decimate ur pen just as much albeit over a longer period of time, severly spoking and sreessing the birds.

The licencing system really needs looked at and the politics/class war taken out of it. How come u can get a licence to shoot cormarants but not buzzards all the same scheme when there is something like 5x the population of buzzards

Wether or not u agree with driven pheasant shooting or not the sheer rapid rise in BOP numbers is affecting other bird life and some off our rarer ones too, even some off our rarer BOP's are being eaten by other common ones (buzzards targeting an osprey nest 2 years in a row)

I'm off out in my car in a minute, if I do a hit & run while I'm out will that reflect badly on Jenson Button? If I beat my neighbour to death with a shovel will Monty Don come in for criticism?

Why do you feel you have to be responsible for a man you've never met before breaking the law?

You're feeding the anti's with this guilt complex.

I won't bow and scrape and apologise for him.

Its nothing to do with me, I don't break the law and I won't take any criticism because this bloke did, even if he does wear a pair of wellies in a field like me occasionally.

I'm still struggling to understand the indignation, its an illegal act by one individual, like shop lifting or car theft, I don't see why the shoot should be closed down or why people would refuse to shoot there because an individual employee commited an illegal act - unless the estate sanctioned it.

Wot is the point in threads like these??

There is absolutely no point in us highlighting anything here with th info given, so wot good does highlighting it and trail by PW do anyone or shooting in general

Yes the keeper has broke the law (if guilty) and he would know full well wot he was doing at the time, but with the tiny bit off information in that article it's a bit early for hung drawing and quartering just yet. But if guilty deserves everything coming his way

Unfortunately it still happens but it really is a tiny percentage of keepers/shoots nowadays, most show amazing restriant when ur job etc is on the line, wot's the point in being out all nite controlling foxes when a BOP can decimate ur pen just as much albeit over a longer period of time, severly spoking and sreessing the birds.

The licencing system really needs looked at and the politics/class war taken out of it. How come u can get a licence to shoot cormarants but not buzzards all the same scheme when there is something like 5x the population of buzzards

Wether or not u agree with driven pheasant shooting or not the sheer rapid rise in BOP numbers is affecting other bird life and some off our rarer ones too, even some off our rarer BOP's are being eaten by other common ones (buzzards targeting an osprey nest 2 years in a row)

I pretty much agree with both of the above two posts.

These charges IF proven, will be dealt with by the system but I dont really see how it helps for all and sundry to get into a state about this. It reminds me of Harry Enfield’s comic character >>Jurgen. You know the one I mean, The German tourist that states >> “ My name is Jurgen and I wish to apologise for my countries conduct during the war”. The character then proceeds to get into a right state about it all.

Perhaps some posters on this thread will be out on their local high street on boxing day with a banner to apologise for this chaps behaviour during the shooting season.

Edited by fortune

What is it with game shoots? Not all I appreciate, or come to that the majority, but SOME do seem to think they are above the law. Guns using illegal shot on wildfowl (already pretty much conclusively pinned on the game shoots) and their 'keepers illegally killing BOP. I can't think of another area of shooting causing shooters so many headaches!

Agree 100% Mongrel. A news report seen by the general public will give them, albeit wrongly, the impression that game shoots encourage the destruction of BOP on an illegal basis - hardly good PR is it?! In my opinion, buzzards do not need to be controlled - an artificially high number of prey will bring an artificially high number of predators. I appreciate that large numbers of protected predators cause problems, but really it's just tough.