I hope to be better at using forums than I am at shooting!

neil treloar

Hello everybody.I stumbled across this website,your friendly looking community,after seeking advise on a BSA Meteor I got at the bootsale.My Dad always was into shooting,using a .22 Rifle,and various shotguns.I rarely got to use his shotguns,and I rarely spent too much time with my Dad when growing up.It's very sad that it's not untill he passed away,I feel I actually connected with him ore than I ever realised,or ever let on.He knew he was not well,got rid of his Firearms,and Shotguns,but left me a Weirach hw 77,.22 Air Rifle(sorry if it's spelt wrong,I don't have it to hand)

I would class myself as a fairly good shot with the air rifle,not used shotguns enough to know,and only used the rifle for a couple of shots,on one day.Did once fire a thing called a Manlicker(again,did I spell this correctly) My understanding of that gun,it was a .22 calibre,but the shell resebled an old 303 round.I fired this when I was 15 years old(37 now) doing work experiance with a gamekeeper.I had never seen a gun like it,thought it must be something illegal.Thebowner said,come on boy,we'll go shooting.Pulled up in a gateway,got the gun out,put a dipoid on the bonnet of the landrover,and shot a Hare at over half a mile,sall hole onbe side,blown away hare the other,could not eat it,he fed it to his pigs.

Anyway,Hello.I will be asking advise about the airguns later,but don't want to be selfish,all about me.I will have a look around,hope to get to know you.

I live in Burford,Oxfordshire.I collect knives,and am rather handy with a catapult.

I am terrible on the internet,I often type things in places,and never find them again,or any answers,so before I get too involved,I must learn to use this site,It does appear very logical at first glance.

Cheers,Neil.

Thankyou all for my welcome.I wish you were not called Pigeon Watch though.Of all the game or vermin I have ever eaten,Pigeon is by far the best,you get bad Pheasants,earthy Eels,lack-lustre Rabbits,but never a bad Pigeon.I have the Rayburn stoked up,but nothing to cook on it,Fancy Pigeon breast stewed in curry and onions and anything else to bung in,Yummy.

HERE IS A FACT,PROVE ME WRONG,PLEASE.....TOLD TO ME BY AN OLD B***SH***ER,but it seems to be true: Shoot 5 Wood Pigeons,any 5,even 105,but weight 5 of them,they will be exactly 5lb in weight,no more,no less.Switch them around,weigh again,5lb.Any time of year,any day,in their feathers,5lb.My workmate told me it was lies,then rang me up after shooting one night,said,I got 5 pigeons,you'll never guess how uch they weighed,I said,Ialready know,5lb. I tried every combination with 12 I had,5lb.. Try it!!

Side by side,or over and under? Not a shotgun user myself,my dad always liked Side by side,as it was English,and correct.He then got a cheap Russian over and under,just because he tried it,and liked it,From that day on,he said,I always said,you can't beat an over and under,everyone should do it.He had a very selective memory,always put food on our plate though.

Welcome , a half mile hare = 880 yards , we ha

The gun was actually a Mannlicher,not a Man Licker,as I said earlier.I remeber when I first saw it,it was not after Michael Ryann shot all those people in Hungerford,and I thought,blimey,this thing is illegal.I know Paul,whos' gunit was used to keep the shells as he made and loaded his own gunpowder.He was the Game Keeper at Bruern,Oxfordshire.I will try and get back in touch with him,as he may be able to tell me why my little air rifle is so gutless.I do intend to offer it for sale on here some time,but would rather know what needs doing to inprove it before hand,even if the buyer would prefer to do any fixing themselves.

I have been trying to add a picture to my profile,all I get is this message:

The file selected is too large. Max 100kB

I don't know how big 100kb is,I just know how many pixels my camera is.Wierd because the Profile picture thingy says what size to use,OR LARGER,yet mine is too large.I have been tearing what's left of my hair out tonight trying to resize some pictures,I am getting annoyed.Soon be asking one of you with a shotgun to come around and blast away my computer,save me a lot of grief.I will endevour to persevere again tomorrow.

And he makes his own gun powder

Welcome

Best of luck with your computer

Happy new year

Of

He had a powder license.The best I could find out about his gun,I met his old friend today.He had a Mannlicher 243,which he sold to the chap I spoke to,and also a Mannlicher .220 with a Barley twist barrel,and the barrel was the smart thing about it apparently.(Sorry,220 Swift) he thinks from memory.Whatever,all much more impressive than my BSA Meteour.I should be selling that tomorrow,the bloke who I was talking to about the Mannlichers is a pest controller,and wants a cheap rifle for one of his customers.Mine is broken,needs either a spring,or maybe rubber seals.As I don't know which,springs are £20 onEbay,seals £5-6.I do not want to buy bits to fix it,and find I never needed them,or buy them,and it's not worth doing.My intention,get rid ofnthat for the £45 I payed for it,then focus on my Weirach hw77. This is the Air Rifle I have,as it was my Dads.I know it's hardly been used for 3 years,I shot a few Pigeons when I was waiting for my new lawn to grow,but I notice it's a bit dusty.I have some Gun Oil,can't think where the mop thing is to go down the barrel.Also,there is a screw near the trigger,looks dusty.I assume that is to adjust the force needed to pull the trigger(oh yes,another thing about that Manlicher,the 243,that has 2 triggers,set one normal one,then the second one is extremely fine,so when ready to fire,nothing gets too unsettled)

I am hoping to see 2 local landowners,to get permission to shoot a few Rabbits,when I can work out these pictures,and where to put them,ought to be some posts of me,my Rabiits,before,and after they are Stewed.

He had a powder license.The best I could find out about his gun,I met his old friend today.He had a Mannlicher 243,which he sold to the chap I spoke to,and also a Mannlicher .220 with a Barley twist barrel,and the barrel was the smart thing about it apparently.(Sorry,220 Swift) he thinks from memory.Whatever,all much more impressive than my BSA Meteour.I should be selling that tomorrow,the bloke who I was talking to about the Mannlichers is a pest controller,and wants a cheap rifle for one of his customers.Mine is broken,needs either a spring,or maybe rubber seals.As I don't know which,springs are £20 onEbay,seals £5-6.I do not want to buy bits to fix it,and find I never needed them,or buy them,and it's not worth doing.My intention,get rid ofnthat for the £45 I payed for it,then focus on my Weirach hw77. This is the Air Rifle I have,as it was my Dads.I know it's hardly been used for 3 years,I shot a few Pigeons when I was waiting for my new lawn to grow,but I notice it's a bit dusty.I have some Gun Oil,can't think where the mop thing is to go down the barrel.Also,there is a screw near the trigger,looks dusty.I assume that is to adjust the force needed to pull the trigger(oh yes,another thing about that Manlicher,the 243,that has 2 triggers,set one normal one,then the second one is extremely fine,so when ready to fire,nothing gets too unsettled)

I am hoping to see 2 local landowners,to get permission to shoot a few Rabbits,when I can work out these pictures,and where to put them,ought to be some posts of me,my Rabiits,before,and after they are Stewed.

I only keep replying to this thread,as I get the impression that I am not believed,880 that's a new record,or And he makes his own powder,sounds like I am talking about some very impressive person.When I did my work experiance with him,his Gun impressed me,the shot of the Hare impressed me,and yes,he does make his own Gunpowder,he works with and around guns,He was a Gamekeeper for Bruern Abbey Estate,but they stopped the pheasant shoot side.Paul Whittington now,so far as I know,certainly a couple of years back,rented the shoot,runs it his way,but does offer a lot of Deerstalking days,and people come and sit in his high chairs in the woods shooting foxes,lots of Americans when I last visited.He also owns Bruern Abbey Gamekeeper feeds.His passion,is shooting.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mate Welcome:

Was Another bloke who bought an air rifle on the boot, apparently it was way over 12ft lbs, he did go to prison, dragged him off screaming, (And I don`t Blame Him).

Just be careful. And once again :welcomeani: .

Hello.

There was no danger in this BSA Meteour breaking any power limits,I could have shot it out of my bedroom window,walkied up the garden to see where it hit,and rolled a fag while I waited for the pellet to get there.I sold it to a pest controller who said all it needed was washers,they are around £6 on Ebay.He wanted it for a customer,I sold it for what I payed.I still have my Dads' Weirach 77,and that suits me very well.I think it needs some TLC,I remember him using a feather duster type Ram Rod,and Gun oil to clean the barrel,and it has a camber which opens when it's cocked,I do need advise what to do to keep it nice.I hardly use it,I have been too buisy in my spare time doing up the garden.I have been away from here a while,I am not great with computers.My last visit,I could not understand why I could not upload pictures,this is my next challenge,to update my profile,not this mkrning at 12.39 though.I aim to return.