Canada geese

ppaynter

A land owner on one of my permissions wants me to take care of a geese problem he has apparently there destroying golf greens chasing golfers.

Spoke to natural England who said they can be shot on general license

Has any one done this and have any tips

Cheers Phil

Am I allowed to say "Use a rifle"?

Sounds like they are resident rather than flighting

Don't see why not, being a danger to the public with faeces everywhere and also chasing the public.

Take some with the rifle and when they try to flight back in take them with shotgun,they will probably get the message fairly quickly.

A land owner on one of my permissions wants me to take care of a geese problem he has apparently there destroying golf greens chasing golfers.

Cheers Phil

Yes we shot a few last year. Same situation, golf course.

Have the greenkeeper open up for you very early in morning and get the job done, cleaned up and be gone before the golfers arrive.

http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/Carpentermark34/media/e08b5aba9370840e6dcb27899038e8c4_zps0b0426c9.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

All shot with 12b Lyalvale Max Game Steel, 36g, 1s, 3" carts.

Just bear in mind that it will be a pest control exercise, not sport! You say the birds are chasing the golfers therefore they are very used to people walking around and close to them so you will more than likely be shooting them on the ground or swimming around the lakes at close range, (not very enjoyable, but has to be done) a dog is a MUST! You don't want a dead or even worse an injured goose floating in the middle of a lake when the golfers arrive.

Edited by carpentermark

Cheers Phil

As long as you comply with the terms of the GL (worth a quick read first) then crack on, on the ground I favour the WMR or HMR, (if need be you can take them with centrefires a long way off), in flight a shotgun.

I have a couple of Golf courses full of lakes and ponds, just be sure you stop them or you will get wet feet or need a boat, golfers (and wives) are not well keen on seeing bodies floating in the water. :good:

Shoot them as fowl until end of month. it, like i do. rifle shoot them.

had a farmer with birds causing problems. it took 3 visits before they got the message. that was 2 years ago. not been back since so, as a pest control exercise, it was job done.

Im not one to shoot a few so they come back, i like to get the job done, as land owner asks. i find it opens more doors as, in the land owners eyes, your good to your word and remove the issues.

I regularly get called to deal with them on golf courses.

17hmr. or 223cf when on the ground.

You need ALQ or Avian on your ticket.

In flight shotgun - non lead shot.

I find you only need to get two or three and the rest get the message.

At this time of year 4pm is good. Golfers have left the course.

Otherwise early but unless they are roosting on site they are unlikely to flight in before the early golfers are around, which is not good.

Yes, they are very tasty, if cooked properly.

Make sure you get at them before they start nesting. If you think they are a nuisance now, you ain't seen nothing when they have a brood of goslings.!!