IX35 or Tiguan - which would you choose.

Kes

Time to change vehicles - I have this choice at the price I want to pay. The VW is slightly more expensive, does less mpg and has some issues apparently. The IX35 is more basic inside but has 5 year warranty. Which would you choose and why? Have I missed any good vehicles out ? Circa £26k.

I have a Tiguan - can't fault it. Driving 'nicely', I have got over 50mpg (170ps diesel). The computer says my long-term MPG is 41, and on my commute I always get over 40 - usually 43-45. My only 'gripe' is the boot could be bigger. To fit my gun in (30" barrel in a slip), I need to put it in diagonally, and also undo a small removable panel on the side inside the boot each time (takes a few seconds).

If you have any specific questions, let me know. Build quality is second to none as with all VW's.

I've friends with both, we almost bought a 2WD IX35 but in the end she decided on an IX20. The Tiguam is basically a Golf I believe, not bad but our friends said it's not quite what I they hoped for , previously the had aMercedes car. Friends with the IX35's say they are pleased and impressed but do not believe Hyundai fuel consumption claims , from the two cars we own I'd guess it's about 15 to 20% less. Hyundai have come a long way in the last five or six years, get a good test drive and don't put up with any BS from dealers about committing to buy before a test drive.

Thanks for the comments - seems I need to drive both.

The IX35 has optional sat nav and reversing camera mileage is quoted at 56 for the 1.7 and 40+ for the 2 litre diesel option. The IX35 is significantly cheaper than the Tig or the Rav 4. the latter, top of the range is 30K, VW slightly more - the IX 35 (top of the range) comes in at 26K. Servicing for 5 years costs 700 for the IX35.

I'm sure the tiguan would be higher also the Rav4 . I know the build quality of the VW is good but the IX35 is better than previously and the RAV is a toyota.

The Hyundai dealer offered to put the car I wanted on as a demonstrator, zero miles and priced as a demo - difficult to better that price?

Anyone tried the BASC discount scheme for 4x4's, toyota are signed up and according to BASC publisity its worth 'thousands' ?

We test drove a Sportage ( possibly not the latest model it was two years ago ) once you got to 60 it was like a siren came on , serious wind noise from the a pillars.

Kes do you have any one in your family with a blue bage ( disabled ) ? If you tell the Hyundai dealer and produce the badge you get a very good discount we got I think £1400 an IX35 would be more, not all dealers wil tell you but the one in Colchester were good with us

Difficult decision, but personally I would go with the VW because of the build quality and the resale value, plus, I think the IX35 looks horrible. Test drive both and see what you think. Don't discount the skoda yeti though, they're a fantastic car.

Hyundai seem to just copy other manufacturers efforts when it comes to looks and on principal I would not buy one for that reason alone. There is a reason why they're £4k cheaper, drive a 10 year old Toyota/VW/Hyundai and you'll see where the money went initially. If you're prepared to have a car registered as pre demo to get a reduced price why not buy a 4-6 month old top of the range RAV for £26k ?

Hyundai seem to just copy other manufacturers efforts when it comes to looks and on principal I would not buy one for that reason alone. There is a reason why they're £4k cheaper, drive a 10 year old Toyota/VW/Hyundai and you'll see where the money went initially. If you're prepared to have a car registered as pre demo to get a reduced price why not buy a 4-6 month old top of the range RAV for £26k ?

Good point - I have been offered one - not my ideal choice of colour however but you cant have everything - or can you?

The Tiguan is based on a Golf Plus, I had the 170ps diesel that had the Haldex 4 wheel drive. Got 35-40mpg and didn't miss a beat on the farm & gentle fields. The main issue for me was that, as previously mentioned, the boot was rather small. Guns & golf clubs placed diagonally and one portion of the rear seats moved forward to accommodate this.

Not a major issue, but a definite niggle and would make me turn to something else first if I was to go back to a 4x4 type car. Other than that, the gearbox was a little notchy but a good motor and reliable as day following night.

Wouldn't go for one that only has the two wheel drive though.

Good point - I have been offered one - not my ideal choice of colour however but you cant have everything - or can you?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/toyota/rav4/postcode/ct67bf/radius/1500/maximum-mileage/up_to_100_miles/maximum-age/up_to_1_year_old/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/sort/default

All below 100 miles :)

We bought an 09 plate rav recently and it's a cracking car but 40k on the clock and fully loaded it was less than 50% the price it was new. So if you are prepared for that then fine but it's the only thing that would put me off a new one

We bought an 09 plate rav recently and it's a cracking car but 40k on the clock and fully loaded it was less than 50% the price it was new. So if you are prepared for that then fine but it's the only thing that would put me off a new one

My dad loves his tiguan, so much infact he has just bought another one but the R line. He absolutley loves his. Its his favourite car he has had, out of Mercedes, bmw's, jags his fave is the tiguan. Literally just got back from seeing his new one actually, its a great car, good 4wd system and good economy. His is the 140ps and long term consumtion is 60+mpg he was saying, he was raving about it the other day.

Top gear the other day, they eneded up chosing tig and CX7 for their 'caravan' trip. Dont know if anyone else saw it but I think they had the chocie of every compact suv on the market including the new freelander and sportage and the vw and Mazda was picked based on the likes of towing weaight, price, consumption, tax brand etc. May did manage to get it out of some rather boggy mud too which was good to see.

It reallyis a good family car, back seat passengers have acres of leg room, literally.. I sit behind dad and my legs can fully stretch out he is well over 6' 2-3" and im 9' 10" .... A decent boot space, cracking vw build quality good looks its a good choice for you I think..

Hope this helps,

Dave.

It reallyis a good family car, back seat passengers have acres of leg room, literally.. I sit behind dad and my legs can fully stretch out he is well over 6' 2-3" and im 9' 10" .... A decent boot space, cracking vw build quality good looks its a good choice for you I think..

Hope this helps,

Dave.

FE FI FO FUM

It is a decent boot space for a second car but having had this as the 'bigger car' in our family for a couple of years I wouldn't rely on it for family trips with luggage etc. The rear seats sliding forward help a lot but only if you don't have rear passengers. Seriously - try and get a 48hr test drive and see how you'd get on at home with the usual boxes, guns, suitcases, dogs etc but don't make a decision you have to live with until you've done that.

If you don't need the boot space on a journey then the rear space is great for a car in this class.

Good load lugger if you put all the seats down (including the passenger).