what pump to buy?

hunting

hi i have a 30" webly and scott o/u shotgun and i am after a pump to use for shooting vermin instead of using my new o/u i am after a pump action wich is

the same length overall and that will fire 27grm superfasts to 50g magnums. i have been looking at the winchester sxp. has anyone got any tips for me as i am new to pumps?

+1 on looking at the pump club thread in the guns and equipment section. It's pinned in there.

You will find that most pumps on offer seem to be good. I have a new facelift hatsan fieldhunter and although you will always get some "gun snobs" that don't like that brand name, it is very well built, tight forestock, light, cycles every cartridge I've put in it (from 65mm 28g, to 70mm 32g), and very cheap!

I believe a lot of people have rated the sxp for similar reasons.

Edited by simonix

I bought my 8 shot Mossberg 500 pump before Hungerford and the subsequent clamp down and have it now on part 1 FAC. The original reason that I bought it was because when we went out rabbiting with lamp from back of vehicle I was always being caught out unloaded with my SxS and the safety frame was battering the barrels. I have used it to shoot pigeons but with any multi shot you will have to keep a tight count on the shots or you will find that you will run out of ammo in the mag. (dead mans click). The barrel on my Moss 500 is 24” long. As it is an 8 shot the mag tube securing mount is set191/2” along and is about an inch thus it leaves about 31/2” of the barrel.

Mine is a standard length gun and I cant see any advantage or reason to cut it down or put one of the modified pistol grip/ fold down stocks onto it.

I love my pump, it’s super fun to shoot and so does everyone on our get together clay shoot in the autumn. It’s a bit of a talking point at the barbeque after the shoot.

The 500 is chambered for 3” and when my 8 shot mag is fully stoked up with 2 ¾ shells it sometimes chucks 1 1/2 shells out of the mag onto the elevator at the same time if it isn’t really pumped vigorously. I soon got the hang of clearing this problem by shoving a finger into the elevator and pushing one of the rounds up and out. Sounds complicated but takes a second. I’ve never had the cartridges cartwheel on the elevator. The only other problem with the operation of the 500 that I’ve had occurred when I liberally used spray grease into the action to quieten it up a bit. It was snowing and a rabbit broke cover, when I fired nothing happened except a slight click. The primer had a small dent but the cold had semi frozen the grease and slowed the hammer. I thought that the hammer spring had broken. REMIDY take back to car and blow hot air from heater through the action and unfreeze it OR take a leek into the action. If you’ve got a hang up about jambs then perhaps a pump isn’t for you. Unless you are really going to use it on long shots at wildfowl then a 3” chamber is a disadvantage because if you short stroke it you will throw 2 out on the elevator and it will jamb up.

50 years in constant production, 10 million sold worldwide, only shotgun to pass all US Army tests.

I bought my 8 shot Mossberg 500 pump before Hungerford and the subsequent clamp down and have it now on part 1 FAC. The original reason that I bought it was because when we went out rabbiting with lamp from back of vehicle I was always being caught out unloaded with my SxS and the safety frame was battering the barrels. I have used it to shoot pigeons but with any multi shot you will have to keep a tight count on the shots or you will find that you will run out of ammo in the mag. (dead mans click). The barrel on my Moss 500 is 24” long. As it is an 8 shot the mag tube securing mount is set191/2” along and is about an inch thus it leaves about 31/2” of the barrel.

Mine is a standard length gun and I cant see any advantage or reason to cut it down or put one of the modified pistol grip/ fold down stocks onto it.

I love my pump, it’s super fun to shoot and so does everyone on our get together clay shoot in the autumn. It’s a bit of a talking point at the barbeque after the shoot.

The 500 is chambered for 3” and when my 8 shot mag is fully stoked up with 2 ¾ shells it sometimes chucks 1 1/2 shells out of the mag onto the elevator at the same time if it isn’t really pumped vigorously. I soon got the hang of clearing this problem by shoving a finger into the elevator and pushing one of the rounds up and out. Sounds complicated but takes a second. I’ve never had the cartridges cartwheel on the elevator. The only other problem with the operation of the 500 that I’ve had occurred when I liberally used spray grease into the action to quieten it up a bit. It was snowing and a rabbit broke cover, when I fired nothing happened except a slight click. The primer had a small dent but the cold had semi frozen the grease and slowed the hammer. I thought that the hammer spring had broken. REMIDY take back to car and blow hot air from heater through the action and unfreeze it OR take a leek into the action. If you’ve got a hang up about jambs then perhaps a pump isn’t for you. Unless you are really going to use it on long shots at wildfowl then a 3” chamber is a disadvantage because if you short stroke it you will throw 2 out on the elevator and it will jamb up.

50 years in constant production, 10 million sold worldwide, only shotgun to pass all US Army tests.

I had had a mossberg 500 until recently and didnt have issues regarding double feeding, short stroking or whatever.... the only problem I had was once when I was shooting almost vertical the next cart did tumble on the elevator causing a jam, I was using short carts so my fault.

All the "issues" you describe above are operator issues and not problems with the gun... if the shooter does his part a mossy will keep on shooting all day long.

Edited by thepasty

The hatsans are as good as any pump for reliability, not as pretty as some but certainly work well and far more reliable and less cartridge fussy than their semi counterparts.

If you just want a cheap pump to get you started and see if it's your sort of thing then a hatsan is a great starting place. Obviously if you can afford a better brand go for it.

I had had a mossberg 500 until recently and didnt have issues regarding double feeding, short stroking or whatever.... the only problem I had was once when I was shooting almost vertical the next cart did tumble on the elevator causing a jam, I was using short carts so my fault.

All the "issues" you describe above are operator issues and not problems with the gun... if the shooter does his part a mossy will keep on shooting all day long.

Yeah I found that when cycling the action at extreme angles jams can occur in my mossy 590 and that is with 70mm cartridges. Don't really care as I am usually grinning like a moron while using the pump action :)

Ed

I had the mossberg maverick t88 and it was a great gun, its light enough considering it is a pump action and i carried it around all day rough shooting and it never bothered me.

If fired all cartridges and never had any problems, but then again theres not much to go wrong with them and if it does jam its usually the users fault, you could short pump when getting used to it and the shell could get caught up.

I got mine and it was a wreck, i sanded it down and resprayed it a few times. it took dogs abuse and never once gave a problem.

I miss it :(