Good low cost alternative to a GoPro?

Beardo

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've got a gopro and one of these now, yeah the gopro is better, but it's not that much better, this is a fantastic backup / 2nd cam for my work/sporting needs.

the birds that flew across the frames were all pigeons Ollie all about 50 yards or so - when i look up and there's a tiny one high in the sky, it's a buzzard

i've got a gopro and one of these now, yeah the gopro is better, but it's not that much better, this is a fantastic backup / 2nd cam for my work/sporting needs.

the birds that flew across the frames were all pigeons Ollie all about 50 yards or so - when i look up and there's a tiny one high in the sky, it's a buzzard

Cheers fella,I think I will be purchasing 1. Is the cam uncomfortable on the head?

Cheers fella,I think I will be purchasing 1. Is the cam uncomfortable on the head?

although its ok on your bonce, Id recommend mounting it elsewhere

watching footage from above "the head" tends to make me feel sick, don't know if that's just me

but unless you have remote control (like on my muvi) then turning on/off is a pain, you tend to switch on and leave it running, then when its time to edit, you'll have a couple of minutes of interesting stuff, and the rest boring as hell

far better to make up a mount and either go for a chest mount, or as I prefer, mount it straight on the gun

I have a go pro and a muvi, both really good cameras, but I like the look of this too, but have resisted the urge so far to buy another

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcwqYunFlO0

Took the wee dug out today and gave the SJ1000 a quick outing.

Must say, the video as watched on the PC directly is extremely good. Youtube, however, as already mentioned, causes all sorts of issues... Blockiness and 'noise', especially in darker shots, seems to drag in parts.

Got a nice poop at the end :D

I'll try it on my bonce whilst shooting clays at the weekend.

I took mine for morning flight today, there was absolutely nothing about until after i had packed all my gear up (typical) then a skein of geese came over, I managed to stuff one cartridge in and dropped it but the camera was in my bag! (lesson 1 learned!)

I took some video when it was only just shootable light and the camera did a reasonable job, although i'm not sure how well you'd be able to pick out birds in the footage.

As the morning had been a bit of a let down i went for a tide flight on a different marsh. again, there was very little about, lots of brents and shellduck with a few widgeon mixed in so no footage of a shot but i thought this video might help some of you see what it is like 'in the feild'. The birds are brent geese, in the first 'scene' they are at least 150 - 200 yards away, second 'scene closer to 300-400 yards, so i was quite pleased they are definable. The wind was howling but this didn't seem to affect the audio too much which was good but it did struggle with the high pitches of my mates widgeon call in the last 'scene'...

I did try to film straight into the sun and away again to see how it dealt with the change in light. I think it did well.

(lesson 2) i have left the annoying button beep on so you know that it has registered the button press (when mounted on your head), the main problem is that it doesn't make a sound when you press record or stop so you're never 100% sure. With it mounted on my head i did manage to switch it off (then unwittingly back on) so when i switched it on to record, it went off again!

this is in 1080P so if you set youtube to 1080p it'll give you a realistic view of how it comes out

All in all really pleased with the end result for the money and i'm sure once i get used to it i'll get some decent footage! A great recommendation by Beardo! many thanks!

Edited by Wildfowler