Bullet stuck in barrel (.17 HMR)

caeser

I was out with my .17 HMR after squirrels , yesterday, at the landowners request. I had a couple in the bag already and I had another in the crosshairs at about 80yards, I pulled the trigger, and there was just a click.

Initially I thought that I hadn't ejected the previous shell, so I activated the bolt again, and a shell came flying out. So I was convinced for a couple of seconds that just hadn't ejected the the previous shot shell. As I pushed the bolt forward to insert the next bullet, It would not go in all the way.

On further investigation, I realised that there was a bullet head stuck just inside the barrel.

I then picked up the , what I had thought was a spent shell, to examine it, and found it was still pretty much full of gunpowder etc.

It stopped me shooting with the HMR for the day, as I couldn't get the darn thing out of the barrel.

I did manage to get it out when I was at home with the cleaning rod.

It's back to normal now, and fires perfectly on test.

I've had a .17 HMR since they were first introduced, several years ago, and this has never happened to me before.

The bullet was a Hornady, obviously faulty.

Has anyone else ever had this problem

Edited by caeser

I had this a while ago too.

thank god you did not chamber another round and fire.

I had to use my rod and push it out and it took a lot of pushing.

many factors may have caused this, bad batch is most likely.

I had it with remingtons and had about 3 hangfires on the trot and then the round that got stuck.

have not used them since and still have half a box in my cabinet, I now only use hornady and have had no problems ( lets not debate who makes the bullets and at what factory please lol)

since this happened to me my rod always accompanies me in my rifle case

I have had this happen and loaded and fired another round with the bullet head still in the barrell, bang and a puff of smoke from the chamber, now 2 stuck in the barrel,, no damage to the gun or myself,cleared the bullet heads with a steel rod. There was no issues with accuracy after this,

There were a few issues left in my kecks though, haha ha,

Look up the thread on the matter, it was a bad batch of hornady I think,

Atb

Flynny

Edited by flynny

My steel rod will now be with me on every trip with the HMR.

Like I said , quite a few years of HMR shooting and it's never happened before. After reading the replies, it sounds like I've been lucky up to now. :lol:

Have no fear though, I would never give up the calibre, I absolutely love it. :good:

I have only experienced one round of Hornady doing this but it stopped the evenings shooting. A TIP FOR ALL: I bought a Buffalo River .17 cleaning rod as this has a FEMALE end to it, slip the rod down the barrel and the female thread will locate over the bullet tip which can be pushed out without causing damage to the barrel, it also prevents the bullet from being tipped sideways which can happen if using a straight rod. Trying to push out a tipped over bullet can lead to barrel damage. The cleaning rod now travels with the rifle. ATB.

I am no expert in live fire rifles, but I do not understand how the mag also explodes. Wouldn't the bolt have to be blown out of the way first?

The rim of a rimmie is quite weak and the first to burst if the barrel is blocked, the resulting high volume of gas vents down to the magazine that wants to then burst. The bolt is locked in this scenario. The mag does not explode by it self, it just can not contain the huge volume of gas just being dumped in it instantly!

U.

Just a thought on a quick mod then that might help prevent damage.... Would drilling a couple of tiny holes into the bottom of the magazine be feasible? This would let the gases escape easier without blowing the mag apart. I'm picking up a 455 soon so if the construction of the mag allows this, I'll do it.

Just a thought on a quick mod then that might help prevent damage.... Would drilling a couple of tiny holes into the bottom of the magazine be feasible? This would let the gases escape easier without blowing the mag apart. I'm picking up a 455 soon so if the construction of the mag allows this, I'll do it.

Maybe it would,,,good idea.

There should be a hole in the reciever ring too for this reason!

U.

The magazine is hardly and airtight fit to start with, but anything to aid the dispersal of fast moving gases may be of assistance in the unlikely event of this happening! :yes::good:

My main concern when reading this was that after something unusual happening, you just reloaded and carried on! Safety is a major concern when you're dealing with these pressures so next time it happens, take more care. You were lucky this time!

After a misfire or anything that doesn't seem right wait 30 seconds, then pull the bolt slowly and inspect the round. Then take the bolt out and check the bore is clear. Once it becomes habit it takes seconds to do and could just save your hands or eyesight. If that bullet had been another half an inch down the bore there's a good chance you could have blown up both your rifle and yourself. Please take more care in future. :/

Happened to me twice on the same box of Remingtons with my CZ452. Both cases were split. I found another four unfired rounds, also with splits. I didn't take any chances with the rest of the box. Had no problems with red and blue tipped Hornady. The CZ is still deadly accurate.