Newbie shotgun questions

chavez

after your first few lines of drivle you have ended your speech with exactly what I said.

I'm terribly sorry Mick, I thought you were advising him not to, like this....

I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of some of the actions on these forums why would anyone need to clean a shotgun in the garden just how much dirt do you think a set of barrels makes by all means stand out in your garden with a shotgun and see how long it is before the fao is calling to see you or maybe the armed response team...... this sport has a bad enough rep with the public people have had certificates revoked for a lot less

But at last we agree, he is fine to clean his gun in his garden as long as his neighbours aren't mental cases.

Good of you to clarify.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

people have had certificates revoked for a lot less but by all means help yourself.as a new cert holder you would lose it if just one of your neighbours phoned in a report

bostonmick - would you care to elaborate on why someone would lose their certificate and cite genuine examples of people who have actually had their certificates revoked for a lot less?

Edited by Gordon R

indeed my brother had to go to court to get his renewed as his son was known by the police never charged with anything also a minor but because he lived at the same address he has since moved on to become a decent young man.and a chap I had working for me on the farm he was cautioned as a minor about a incident with an airgun nobody was injured or involved really he was shooting pigeons on a derelict building again no charges yet when in his late thirties was refused a sgc.he never bothered to pursue it but all the same I knew of one other who was refused a chap in Essex I used to deal with owned his own business employed about 4 people applied for sgc when he was about 40 got refused at first as he used to go to football matches in his youth and believe it or not the fao had police photo's of him in the crowd at some of the games where violence occurred he was never charged with anything he went to court and won the day but it does happen

Edited by bostonmick

indeed my brother had to go to court to get his renewed as his son was known by the police never charged with anything also a minor but because he lived at the same address he has since moved on to become a decent young man.and a chap I had working for me on the farm he was cautioned as a minor about a incident with an airgun nobody was injured or involved really he was shooting pigeons on a derelict building again no charges yet when in his late thirties was refused a sgc.he never bothered to pursue it but all the same I knew of one other who was refused a chap in Essex I used to deal with owned his own business employed about 4 people applied for sgc when he was about 40 got refused at first as he used to go to football matches in his youth and believe it or not the fao had police photo's of him in the crowd at some of the games where violence occurred he was never charged with anything he went to court and won the day but it does happen

Refused a license for a previous firearms offence and being a known football hooligan.

No surprises there.

I know quite a few people with previous offences, someone I know has previous for theft and receiving stolen goods (albiet over 15yrs ago) and they have licenses.

Any previous for firearms or violence will probably result in a refused application.

Refused a license for a previous firearms offence and being a known football hooligan.

No surprises there.

I know quite a few people with previous offences, someone I know has previous for theft and receiving stolen goods (albiet over 15yrs ago) and they have licenses.

Any previous for firearms or violence will probably result in a refused application.

as was pointed out on one of the earlier posts no charge no crime so perhaps not so understandable.i had an ex brother in law who loved a fight and was charged a couple of times but kept his fac/sgc and still has them to this day so what does that say.life is not always straight forward

what have you got to struggle with.the op knows he can quite legally sit in his garden with his shotgun my point at the start was I felt it foolish to do so as it could give rise to complaints from neighbours and cause needles hassle.as there were no charges brought against two of the people I mentioned there was no crime yet this is on file for years and has an effect on their future.if the police had complaints then reports would be held for a long time as firearms are involved albeit in a small way.the police will take no chances these days as they get the blame for all instances of firearm mis use these days.there was a case in a village nearby me last year a man was taken to hospital with shotgun wounds to the chest it was a complete accident a father and son in the field yet this will have a lasting effect on both of them as far as gun ownership goes.

Not quite right. Being the occupier is a status which allows the exemption for visitors from having to have a SGC.. The fact that the borrower has to be supervised which is taken as being in sight and sound of the occupier is a condition of that exemption.

Hi Wymberley, not picking a squabble, just clarification in case I misunderstood the BASC. If you are a member I invite you to speak with them with the sameQ and post the result of your findings. Alternatively, the chapter and verse which supports your opposite point of view to my understanding of the advice I received. Good shooting. Bobba.

bostonmick - perhaps you misunderstood or are avoiding the point.

What have you to support your assertion that licence holders have had their certs revoked for matters less serious than cleaning their gun, in their garden?

I did not misunderstand and am not avoiding anything.also I have never said people have had their license revoked for less than cleaning a gun in the garden.why are people on here so bent on argument if the police receive a complaint from somebody about a firearm they will respond to it and while you might say I was only cleaning it and they may believe you what if the complainer has embellished it a little they will come down on the side of caution.i wonder if you argue with the fao when it is time to renew and tell him how the law should work.i think not

bostonmick - I will leave the thread at this point. You don't appear to be able to back up what you say and seem intent on arguing - despite accusing others of the very thing. A bit odd. :innocent::innocent: :innocent:

feb 06 smog on tyne licence revoked because he had been refferedto marriage guidance by doctor he is a pw member so must be true.in 2012-2013 Leicestershire police revoked 339 licences ranging from convicted to cautioned so some would have been minor things if only cautioned.in 2011 jan.a chap calling himself cully had his revoked for two driving offenses.drink for one and driving while disqualified the other no guns involved.i wonder how many people have had their guns removed while investigations were done due to a complaint by an ex or a dis gruntled neighbour even if the guns were returned later do you really want the problems.and now I am leaving this thread.

feb 06 smog on tyne licence revoked because he had been refferedto marriage guidance by doctor he is a pw member so must be true.in 2012-2013 Leicestershire police revoked 339 licences ranging from convicted to cautioned so some would have been minor things if only cautioned.in 2011 jan.a chap calling himself cully had his revoked for two driving offenses.drink for one and driving while disqualified the other no guns involved.i wonder how many people have had their guns removed while investigations were done due to a complaint by an ex or a dis gruntled neighbour even if the guns were returned later do you really want the problems.and now I am leaving this thread.

You keep quoting these, but how many of them are less serious than cleaning your gun in the garden?

Hi Wymberley, not picking a squabble, just clarification in case I misunderstood the BASC. If you are a member I invite you to speak with them with the sameQ and post the result of your findings. Alternatively, the chapter and verse which supports your opposite point of view to my understanding of the advice I received. Good shooting. Bobba.

Hi,

No problem and no offence taken. Yes, I was a BASC member for some 35 years. I was one of the first Honorary Regional Education Development Officers - we administered the Proficiency Award Scheme at county level. I chose to do the law lecture myself and the Association Education Department (Yep, they had one back then) made certain that I had the literature at hand to do so. You will find the information easily enough in the Firearms Act in the Section which deals with the special exemptions from the need to hold a SGC. It would probably be easier to do a search on here as this has been discussed many, many times - usually by someone trying to get around the definition of, 'occupier'.

Cheers,

Wymberley

Hi,

No problem and no offence taken. Yes, I was a BASC member for some 35 years. I was one of the first Honorary Regional Education Development Officers - we administered the Proficiency Award Scheme at county level. I chose to do the law lecture myself and the Association Education Department (Yep, they had one back then) made certain that I had the literature at hand to do so. You will find the information easily enough in the Firearms Act in the Section which deals with the special exemptions from the need to hold a SGC. It would probably be easier to do a search on here as this has been discussed many, many times - usually by someone trying to get around the definition of, 'occupier'.

Cheers,

Wymberley

Wymberley

Many thanks for the reply. Will read up as suggested.

Bobba

I notice a new thread has been started on here where another pw member has lost his guns following an incident which resulted in no action taken by police so must be an innocent.perhaps all you experts who love to put people down for being cautious might like to apply your extensive and sarcasm to help him out.

I notice a new thread has been started on here where another pw member has lost his guns following an incident which resulted in no action taken by police so must be an innocent.perhaps all you experts who love to put people down for being cautious might like to apply your extensive and sarcasm to help him out.

Unless they were seized after he had been seen cleaning them in his garden it bears little significance to this thread.

Unless they were seized after he had been seen cleaning them in his garden it bears little significance to this thread.

As he was neither charged or cautioned he was obviously no threat to anyone yet he has at the moment lost his guns on possibly the story that someone else made up.one minute you are enjoying your glass of lemonade the next you are accused of pointing your gun at their windows.both innocent yet both without guns as a result.that is why I said it could be a foolish act.caution dear boy caution

As he was neither charged or cautioned he was obviously no threat to anyone yet he has at the moment lost his guns on possibly the story that someone else made up.one minute you are enjoying your glass of lemonade the next you are accused of pointing your gun at their windows.both innocent yet both without guns as a result.that is why I said it could be a foolish act.caution dear boy caution

Is it the thread in which the OP was accused of assault but all charges were dropped? If so, as far as I'm aware assault is illegal and a serious accusation, whereas cleaning your guns in your garden is neither.

Is it the thread in which the OP was accused of assault but all charges were dropped? If so, as far as I'm aware assault is illegal and a serious accusation, whereas cleaning your guns in your garden is neither.

Yes it is.however he was not charged cleared of all so innocent of any crime but you fail to see how an innocent man can be penalized for the simplist of things but if you wish to waste time fighting the establishment because someone may have made malicious complaints.i will as I have done for over forty years without incident carry on in my own way.apart from a couple of problems that I mentioned in earlier posts I had never known of anyone that I knew personally who had guns removed yet since being on pw I have read at least half a dozen.so clearly you all know best.

Edited by bostonmick

Hi All,

I just got myself a shotgun and I would be very grateful if you answered a few silly newbie questions:

1) I know that I am not allowed to expose firearms in public places. Does my back garden count as a public place? The neighbours' windows are looking over it so they can see what's going on there but it is sheltered from the street. The reason I am asking is because I'd rather clean my gun outdoors than in my living room to avoid all the nasty stuff from the barrel getting on my floor.

2) I intend to keep my barrels oiled when in storage for over a week. Do I need to dry-patch the barrels dry before firing (eg like a rifle) or is it ok to fire through slightly oiled barrels?

3) Do you put oil on the choke threads? And how tight do you screw the chokes in?

4) Is it ok to regularly fire 2 3/4" ammo through a 3" chamber?

5) What is the procedure if I need to leave the gun in my car unattended (e.g. stopping for a comfort break)? Removing the barrel and taking it with me?

6) Am I right that ammo does not have to be stored in a safe?

Thank you!

Chavez, as a sensible help in response to your question. I was also a little worried about this, partly because my garden is a communal garden.

I bought a Browning cleaning mat off ebay for about £20 (which in the grand cost of everything wasn't a huge amount), I can lay this on the floor and it will hopefully stop the c**p getting on the carpet. All I need now is my SGC to come through the post, but unfortunately it is taking forever.....

Personally if I had a private garden (overlooked or not overlooked), I wouldn't be too worried about cleaning it in the garden. I usually get on with my neighbours so wouldn't be a problem.