Eye dominance and hushpowers

spready

Right before i start sorry if this is a very daft question so don’t flame me for it..... lol

I suffer from having a dominate left eye but shoot right handed and here is the embarrassing bit , I’m unable to wink/close one eye so can’t shut the dominate eye. I shot my Air rifle and rifle left handed with both eye open and i feel comfy but struggle with a shotgun left handed . I use an easyhit sight on my normal O/U shotgun and it really helps me i have to say, but I’m regularly using my 20g O/U hushpower but the last few times I’ve really struggled to hit anything, so yesterday thought id try a simple test an put out a large sheet of paper with a x on it at 30 yards and see where i was aiming , to my horror the first shot had at it had about 3 pellets through it. so after a couple more i decided to try by covering up my left eye , bingo the paper was peppered.

So what i was wondering from you guys who know, what should i do? I had an idea of getting a mossberg 500 hushpower and fitting an easyhit sight to it as they have a rib running down the barrel and into the silence . I understand the aiming of a hushpower and the need to aim slightly higher, so i know its not that problem. all my shooting is vermin shooting/pigeon shooting so i think shooting glasses with a cover over my left eye would be abit daft??? Maybe learn to shoot left handed?

Any suggestion or help would be greatly appreciated as I’m stuck with this one .....

Well its along the same lines as the covered shooting specs lens but still allows depth vision but take a pair of old sunglasses and knock out the right lens leaving the other one in place, it helped me with my switching eye dominance issue I used to have a lot when I was younger and you wont keep bumping into stuff on your LHS either :lol:

Cheap pair of safety glasses with a small square of black insulation over to cover I think is an easy solution and to be honest I dont think many pigeons or rats will worry to much about what you look like. Where will the embarrassment be if you make every shot a hit? Might be more embarrassment if you try to struggle on without?

Shoot left handed it takes a while but easily done! Just mount the gun slowly 10 times every evening in front a mirror for 2 weeks!

May need stock adjusting (I need a different fit for each side but as left eye Dom I don't bother about poor RH fit as I don't shoot RH

You can get a 'flip-down' obscurer for your shooting glasses for the eye you want to cover. My wife is right-handed but very left-eye dominant, and she uses one of those to very good effect.

Only thing is that these appear to be more suited to a clay ground, but they can be used out in the field

if you dont like the idea of putting tape on your glasses you could apply it direct to your eye lid , on a more serious note i suffer from the same but found that the sights on the miroku initially helped loads and also dry mounting and consciously looking past or through the sight at the target rather than focusing on the sight itself, hard to explain really but i think you can train your eyes that way.

The glasses only need the pupil of the left eye covered, a small piece of dull clear tape works very well but you'll need some else to fit it as you need to do it with the gun mounted.

This ^^^ is what I do. A small triangle of Scotch on the inside of the shooting glasses lens which obscures the rib and bead when the gun's mounted, however its clear of your vision when your heads not on the stock giving you decent peripheral vision. I use it on clays and in the field with reasonable success.

I couldn't hit a barn door with my Mossberg Hushpower until I fitted a weaver rail and holographic sight. The down side is that you have to shoot it with your head off the stock, but you get used to it, then you go back to the O/U and miss everything over the top because your head is too high.

I couldn't hit a barn door with my Mossberg Hushpower until I fitted a weaver rail and holographic sight. The down side is that you have to shoot it with your head off the stock, but you get used to it, then you go back to the O/U and miss everything over the top because your head is too high.

I just had to Wiki 'holographic sight', never even heard of let alone seen one. Was 'zeroing' it just a case of shooting at clays and adjusting until you hit them? Do you still look 'through' it and effectively have the bead/cross hairs in your peripheral? How did it work with giving a big lead?

I just had to Wiki 'holographic sight', never even heard of let alone seen one. Was 'zeroing' it just a case of shooting at clays and adjusting until you hit them? Do you still look 'through' it and effectively have the bead/cross hairs in your peripheral? How did it work with giving a big lead?

I zeroed it on a stationary target. Mine is very like this one: http://www.tactical-life.com/magazines/guns-and-weapons/browning-buck-mark-holographic-sight/

I chose it because it has no magnification and a small frame around the lens, so both eyes open like normal shotgun use, except a red circle appears in the sky.

EDIT:

This picture ( not mine) gives a good idea of what it's like to use

PumaNightScout-HoloLaser.jpg

Edited by Catweazle

i have had the same problem mate , i also ware glasses , so i started by keeping both eyes open till i see the clay / target , then close the left and that worked , but i was at the optician the other week and got some contact lenses , at the moment iam trying 1 contact lens in the right eye to train the eye , seems to be working , i read somewhere if you cover you left eye for 7 mins a day for 2 weeks you will get your right eye more dominant

good luck

Rather than buy 'off the net' Can I advise that you take a trip to your local gunshop. You need to try the glasses on in the shop, preferably whilst mounting a gun. It took me a while to find glasses that either had no top frame or nose piece that impinged on my vision. I settled on some Browning glasses that cost me a tenner a pair from Premier guns. I ended up with 3 pairs of different lens colours, but they have been very good. I have also found the Napier range to be good at 20 quid a pair, especially the sunglasses, although they are a pig to store and carry. A small piece of surgical opaque tape fitted on the left lens, by a second person, whilst you hold the gun mounted in to your shoulder should do the trick. Just as an aside, I have known peoples 'master' eye to switch whilst shooting, usually due to tension.

Thanks for the input guys.... I’m think the general consensus is to use the glasses and cover up the left eye? with this over time make my right eye more dominate?

Yes...

Maybe...three years in and mine hasn't BUT, I've since had an eye test and found my right eye is now slightly weaker than my left, I believe this is the cause of my dominance change. My brain recognises the left is better and defaults to the 'best' picture. 20 months of wearing contacts and I'm still mid to left eye dominant, if I try to shoot a pistol with both eyes open I see two barrel sights. Generally I see mid but...

Just as an aside, I have known peoples 'master' eye to switch whilst shooting, usually due to tension.

...initially when my dominance started to shift from right dominant I found that when tired I could suddenly and without realising, go fully left eye dominant and that could happen in the middle of a round.

Edited by -Mongrel-

Is it not distracting when say you need to give 10 feet of lead, would that not be outside the sight picture?

Dunno why I'm so interested as I'm quite happy with normal sights and don't have a moderated shotgun.........but I am! :lol:

It's not perfect, but you can see the bird outside of the frame of the sight, there's minimal difference between the view inside and outside the frame. For me, it's better than trying to point the drainpipe hushpower unaided, I always shot low with it. I give 10ft of lead to a fast crossing bird with my O/U, but wouldn't even try with subsonic cartridges from the Hushpower, I'm just not good enough.

Maybe...three years in and mine hasn't BUT, I've since had an eye test and found my right eye is now slightly weaker than my left. 20 months of wearing contacts and I'm still mid to left eye dominant, if I try to shoot a pistol with both eyes open I see two barrel sights. Generally I see mid but...

...initially when my dominance started to shift from right dominant I found that when tired I could suddenly and without realising, go fully left eye dominant and that could happen in the middle of a round.

:/ you got it bad.....