what will pigeons be feeding on this time of year there nowere to be

Braddev22

They'll be on all sorts at min. Wait till it gets proper cold for a few days with some good overnight frost and it'll push them on to the rape.

Tips: this time of year is roost shooting 'season'. If you have woods on your permission have a look round and find which part they prefer to roost in, in other words find the pigeon sh.t! Get yourself in the wood close to where you think they will roost and wait.... I usually turn up at 3pm ish and shoot till dark. A face veil is prob a good idea.

Happy hunting.

Edited by carpentermark

I shoot near Canterbury and I'm starting to see them in small [30-50] flocks. Been [air] shooting them at roost and most have crops full of ivy berries, a couple with grain [pheasant feed?] and a couple with small unidentified leaf fodder.

Seeing more the windier it gets, flocking into conifers for the night's roost.

WOOD PIGEON the clue is in the name.

Currently still on the menu are beech-mast and acorns, black ivy berries, red hawthorn berries and other mixed woodland fruits which vary from county to county. Don't forget we have some massive ancient woodlands, massive estate mixed woodlands and 1000's & 1000's of acres of sustainable forestry all of which have little or no public access, in which it is not possible to drive by or through to check and evaluate the pigeon activity.

In my experience the weather at this time of year is key to pigeons eating brassica & oilseed rape plants, it just is not cold enough to make the birds hungry, a covering of snow will help and/or the birds exhaust there current food source and are forced onto the arable pastures.

But this is a top rated agricultural pest species we are talking about and there are zillions of them out there currently not causing any problems, likewise the pathetic bags which are currently being made, in the name of pest control, won't even begin scratch the surface of even beginning to make an impression on the pigeon population.

Now as I drive about pigeon spotting I can often see enthusiastic pigeon hunters set up, their position betrayed by some rotary device, doing their utmost best to try and attract pigeons onto farmland with very little or no effect.

It makes me wonder just what some of the landowners and farmers must think, if and when they see this phenomena of so called pest controllers attempting to draw pigeons who really prefer other things at the minute than dining on their crops :whistling:

Really in truth we none of us care about the crops we shoot over only the opportunity to shoot this wonderfully unpredictable sporting bird and I wonder if roost shooting at this time when there is a dearth of them on any rape or other arable is actually pest control ?

This GENERAL LICENCE system we have does pose questions for us right now - however I like to think that it shouldn't make any difference if pigeons are shot away from farmland now as it must mean less to come on to the land at say immediate pre-harvest time.

What do some of you guys think about this ??

Currently still on the menu are beech-mast and acorns, black ivy berries, red hawthorn berries and other mixed woodland fruits which vary from county to county. Don't forget we have some massive ancient woodlands, massive estate mixed woodlands and 1000's & 1000's of acres of sustainable forestry all of which have little or no public access, in which it is not possible to drive by or through to check and evaluate the pigeon activity.

In my experience the weather at this time of year is key to pigeons eating brassica & oilseed rape plants, it just is not cold enough to make the birds hungry, a covering of snow will help and/or the birds exhaust there current food source and are forced onto the arable pastures.

But this is a top rated agricultural pest species we are talking about and there are zillions of them out there currently not causing any problems, likewise the pathetic bags which are currently being made, in the name of pest control, won't even begin scratch the surface of even beginning to make an impression on the pigeon population.

Now as I drive about pigeon spotting I can often see enthusiastic pigeon hunters set up, their position betrayed by some rotary device, doing their utmost best to try and attract pigeons onto farmland with very little or no effect.

It makes me wonder just what some of the landowners and farmers must think, if and when they see this phenomena of so called pest controllers attempting to draw pigeons who really prefer other things at the minute than dining on their crops :whistling:

Really in truth we none of us care about the crops we shoot over only the opportunity to shoot this wonderfully unpredictable sporting bird and I wonder if roost shooting at this time when there is a dearth of them on any rape or other arable is actually pest control ?

This GENERAL LICENCE system we have does pose questions for us right now - however I like to think that it shouldn't make any difference if pigeons are shot away from farmland now as it must mean less to come on to the land at say immediate pre-harvest time.

Not getting involved mate!

The guy is after advice and asked two simple questions, this is not the place for this old debate!

Edited by carpentermark

I checked the crops of 3 birds the other day, and all 3 were different. All 3 shot coming into a roost wood.

All had very full crops. 1 was full of rape . 1 was full of wheat seeds. 1 was full of sweetcorn or maize. The latter 2 must have been from pheasant feeders I imagine. (There is a pheasant shoot on the neighbouring land.)

The weather may be wet but it is relatively mild and the grass is still growing slowly which includes the clover and in the local park they are feeding on that . It's so mild that on one of my rape fields it has more chickweed than rape at present.

Just as a throw away comment what would we have done if the rain had come as snow I guesstimate it would be at least a metre deep???

Landowners dont think owt as long as some ones their and either shooting em or keeping them of the crops as a scare crow :good: the roost woods we use are next to the rape fields or near still crop protection and when you split em open who going to argue :good: they come from a field some where :good:

Landowners dont think owt as long as some ones their and either shooting em or keeping them of the crops as a scare crow :good: the roost woods we use are next to the rape fields or near still crop protection and when you split em open who going to argue :good: they come from a field some where :good:

I hope you're right mate :unsure:

I set up today birds didnt wana no gave it an hour 4 shots at passing birds moved to a neirbouring permission and spoke to a guy who had just packed up he had been shooting it since the severnties he said hes seen nothing like it birds just dont wana decoy he had 5 in the bag now both these permissions have bird scarers going all the time on my way home i stopped to see 300-400 birds on a rape field rite next door to my village happily eating away these no bird scarers on there and no one shoots it as its part of a shoot that woz in between dover and canterbury

Also last week no bird scarers going anywhere apart from these perms now you can here them going everywhere so im guessing the birds are defo starting to hit the rape in se kent that old boy i spoke to said its very warm the rape is growing well he said usually its low and cold he said if we dont get a cold snap they will continue to look for food anywhere instead of just on the rape