no more than 2 shots in a semi auto

diddy

How many you can load when hunting?

one in the chamber two in the mag on SGC. more in FAC with non restricted mag. Most prejudice against semi autos are due to ignorance.

For example if you want to shoot the biggest bag don't shoot your third shot till you have re-loaded the mag as its faster if you don't shoot it dry. Can a three shot auto kill four in the air with one shot each on a driven day? No! Can a guy with two doubles and a loader? Yes!

Its well past time this prejudice through sheer lack of knowledge ended, nobody can shoot game or fowl with more than two in the mag legally. So two in the mag one in the chamber effectively holds true

Disabled, the female shooter, the young and the recoil sensitive can all benefit from a semi auto and if we do loose lead we will have to accept them or carry round some very heavy guns

In effect you have an extra shot as opposed to an o/u or sxs

lets say you have a 4 man flush all with auto's, thats 12 cartridges as opposed to 8 if all had o/u or sxs

Whats to stop people with FAC shotguns stoking 5 or 10 at the start?

it gives an unfair advantage.

:shaun:

FAC conditions?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one in the chamber two in the mag on SGC. more in FAC with non restricted mag. Most prejudice against semi autos are due to ignorance.

For example if you want to shoot the biggest bag don't shoot your third shot till you have re-loaded the mag as its faster if you don't shoot it dry. Can a three shot auto kill four in the air with one shot each on a driven day? No! Can a guy with two doubles and a loader? Yes!

Its well past time this prejudice through sheer lack of knowledge ended, nobody can shoot game or fowl with more than two in the mag legally. So two in the mag one in the chamber effectively holds true

Disabled, the female shooter, the young and the recoil sensitive can all benefit from a semi auto and if we do loose lead we will have to accept them or carry round some very heavy guns

FAC conditions?

I can't remember what it's called but tactical shotgunning allows FAC shotguns to be used on clays

It's self explanatory. You have one view I have another, neither of us is gong to change so no point in arguing about it.

Very true :)

Of course it depends on the exact wording on your cert but vermin, fox, trick shooting and practical shotgun should all be a no go for std clay shooting on FAC terms. Same reason they put range conditions on a hunting rifle even if you don't shoot on a range, failure to comply with terms and conditions stipulated is an offence

Of course it depends on the exact wording on your cert but vermin, fox, trick shooting and practical shotgun should all be a no go for std clay shooting on FAC terms. Same reason they put range conditions on a hunting rifle even if you don't shoot on a range, failure to comply with terms and conditions stipulated is an offence

I was using it to demonstrate how having extra cartridges gives you an advantage,

That's why Whitfield Shoot (probably the biggest charity flush in the country) has banned guns like auto's and pumps

1. It's a club rule so no point contesting it.

2. It's good safety practise and that's more of a reason than point one.

I have had the unenviable experiance of being among a small crowd during an accidental discharge from an "empty" semi and if the guy had been turning round a little quicker there is no doubt my mate would have lost a foot, blood chilling stuff and the argument and violence that ensude ruined a long standing friendship.

We all do our best to act in a safe and responsible manner, the vast majority of us have a "routine" we all follow to prove our guns are empty be it break action, semi or bolt, I myself have even made a chamber flag for my lever action .44 so when it's in the rack it can be proved empty at a glance.

At the range I shoot there was an almighty argumment over a chap that decided to bring his FAC practical shotgun to the clubs clay day, not because of unfair advantage or quicker load time but just because he would load it to capacity on DTL and stand with a live barrel awaiting his turn, not a problem you say, he's pointing forward down range all the while, we all reload as the turns go round, BUT this **** was stuffing shells up the mag inbetween turns, he always had ten on hand, he would then stand there at the end and shuck the unused shells out the ejection port before leaving his peg, when we asked to stop stokeing his mag up and to put in his breach flag when he was off peg he got his **** in his hand and shouted the odds that we had seen him empty all his shells and some had even helped him pick them up, not the point !! He was eventually expelled from the club for two more episodes, firstly he left a rifle and live ammo unattended at on the bench while he went out to his car for something, he excuse was he didn't want someone to nick his spot, and the big one which ended it all was when he sat down at the bench and set himself up ready to shoot when the range flag was up and people where still setting up targets !!!!!! His excuse, " I havn't loaded yet, whats the problem ? the guns empty". You try telling that calmly to the lads who turned round in the butts to be faced with a scoped .308 pointed at them and the shooter sat behind it.

Rules like this are like Health & Safety legislation, it's there to protect us, we may think that it's stateing the obvious and that we're offended that you have to put it in ink to remind us, and that as responsible shooters we can be trusted, but there is a minority who "know better" ie: I never had an accident yet, I've always done it like this, Don't you trust me ?", and those are the people that rules like this protect us from.

Sorry for the rant but I feel strongly about his, not only could an accident lead to even more restrictions on our sport but ultimately someone could be mained or killed.

1. It's a club rule so no point contesting it.

2. It's good safety practise and that's more of a reason than point one.

I have had the unenviable experiance of being among a small crowd during an accidental discharge from an "empty" semi and if the guy had been turning round a little quicker there is no doubt my mate would have lost a foot, blood chilling stuff and the argument and violence that ensude ruined a long standing friendship.

We all do our best to act in a safe and responsible manner, the vast majority of us have a "routine" we all follow to prove our guns are empty be it break action, semi or bolt, I myself have even made a chamber flag for my lever action .44 so when it's in the rack it can be proved empty at a glance.

At the range I shoot there was an almighty argumment over a chap that decided to bring his FAC practical shotgun to the clubs clay day, not because of unfair advantage or quicker load time but just because he would load it to capacity on DTL and stand with a live barrel awaiting his turn, not a problem you say, he's pointing forward down range all the while, we all reload as the turns go round, BUT this **** was stuffing shells up the mag inbetween turns, he always had ten on hand, he would then stand there at the end and shuck the unused shells out the ejection port before leaving his peg, when we asked to stop stokeing his mag up and to put in his breach flag when he was off peg he got his **** in his hand and shouted the odds that we had seen him empty all his shells and some had even helped him pick them up, not the point !! He was eventually expelled from the club for two more episodes, firstly he left a rifle and live ammo unattended at on the bench while he went out to his car for something, he excuse was he didn't want someone to nick his spot, and the big one which ended it all was when he sat down at the bench and set himself up ready to shoot when the range flag was up and people where still setting up targets !!!!!! His excuse, " I havn't loaded yet, whats the problem ? the guns empty". You try telling that calmly to the lads who turned round in the butts to be faced with a scoped .308 pointed at them and the shooter sat behind it.

Rules like this are like Health & Safety legislation, it's there to protect us, we may think that it's stateing the obvious and that we're offended that you have to put it in ink to remind us, and that as responsible shooters we can be trusted, but there is a minority who "know better" ie: I never had an accident yet, I've always done it like this, Don't you trust me ?", and those are the people that rules like this protect us from.

Sorry for the rant but I feel strongly about his, not only could an accident lead to even more restrictions on our sport but ultimately someone could be mained or killed.

Don't agree as a teenager I turned up to shoot at a ground and a guy had just near cut his mate in half with an "unloaded double" shell counting and not putting more in cannot be considered safe, maybe the opposite. If the chance to do it wrong is there the brain will ensure sooner or later you do. Most shooters of experience will admit to finding an unloaded gun loaded when they could have sworn it empty. Sorry if this sounds argumentative or forceful but its a point I feel very strongly on, it takes but a small absence of mind to get that extra one in an auto or re-load a double, perhaps miss a chance at the second bird with a double. Counting rounds is fallible very fallible

I was using it to demonstrate how having extra cartridges gives you an advantage,

That's why Whitfield Shoot (probably the biggest charity flush in the country) has banned guns like auto's and pumps

Yes, agreed competitive shooting then full use of the gun should always mean no more than two. Unless its a single barrel shoot!!!!!!

diddy, on 10 Feb 2014 - 5:28 PM, said:

Was told today that i can only load 2 shots a time in a auto due to saftey reasons.

That's a fairly simple command to follow.

i still trying to work it out what difference is 3 shots is over 2?

One shot.

>> Two targets -- Two shots.

You dont need to load a third.

is this standard practice for autos at clay grounds?

Yep.

You dont need a third. it's unnecessary.

Next stand two birds = two cartridges. = clear gun

Next stand two birds = two cartridges. = clear gun

Next stand two birds = two cartridges.= clear gun

Simple.

Edited by fortune

OK so what do you do if you have a no bird? Or a misfire? Or someone asks you to step out of the cage mid way through the stand? Or one of the many other reasons you may get distracted and step out without the gun being empty?

Still interested in where you shoot.

What ground?

Cluney in fife

I run a clay shoot and semiAutos are welcome but you only load 2 ,if you load 3 its an ufair advantage over sbs and ous .If we caught you loading 3 after the first warning I would ask you to leave the grounds .Also its safer no unwelcome negligent discharges thats the rules and i will add that to my safty brief sunday

Geoff

Edited by Radar70

Because shooting is a prime target for every do-gooder, politician, animal rights activist, and pub know-it-all. And all we need is someone to forget there is one in the pipe and whilst putting it in the slip it goes off and blows his wife's feet off!! Or mine!! Now do you get it? There is absolutely no excuse on earth to have 3 in the pipe on a clay shoot...END OF!

Because shooting is a prime target for every do-gooder, politician, animal rights activist, and pub know-it-all. And all we need is someone to forget there is one in the pipe and whilst putting it in the slip it goes off and blows his wife's feet off!! Or mine!! Now do you get it? There is absolutely no excuse on earth to have 3 in the pipe on a clay shoot...END OF

spot on.