Are ALL guns of the same make and Model the same?

Mitch4

I am new to this addictive sport and would appreciate some advice on choosing a first gun.

So far I have looked at several new and second hand guns which after a while all seem to blur into one. On the advice of most people I have spoken to directly it seems a good / recognised maker's used gun is better value for money than a budget brand new one. Based on this I have narrowed a choice down to a couple of options which are a Beretta 682 or the Miroku MK38.

Recently I tried a MK38 Trap gun with fixed chokes (1/2 and 1/2, I am told) which I found to be very good for me. It seemed to fit well and I hit a lot more than I missed with it, or maybe I just had a lucky day, however the price is a little more than I wanted to pay. So here's the question.

Will any MK38 feel the same as this one I liked allowing me to hunt around for the same gun from a different place to fit my limited budget?

Any advice, comments or help appreciated!

thanks,

Mitch4

There will be tolerances in the stock dimensions but must at factory standards will be near enough the same, you will get the odd Friday gun.

The issue is more if a previous owner has had the stock adjusted to fit them.

+1 (for example both my gunstocks have been adjusted by Nigel Teague)

Also, it does pay to shop around. UK Guntrader currently has about 30 Miroku Mk 38 grade 1's secondhand with prices ranging from £750 - £1250

Edited by Bobba

Welcome to the forum pal :)

Good question, I suppose it depends on what price bracket the gun falls into ?

Hi Willpoon,

One of them was around the £900 mark and the others £1200. All were pretty much basic grade 1 I guess but I am not concern too much about how it looks. I had planned on spending around £500 on something low end to start with but these have grabbed my attention even if they have doubled the budget. Definitely do not want to spend more than £1k as just starting out and you never know what might happen.

Glad you think it was a good question, was worried it was going to be obvious.

Mitch4

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice. It is a little overwhelming when you are new to it all, when you see the choice and all the options in a dealers shops or online. knew you chaps would point me in the right direction.

Sounds like as long as I check there is nothing specially been done to the guns they should be all about the same feel.

I am sure there will be more tolerance in my shooting of any of them than in the actual gun itself! If I pick one of the Friday guns I'll just have to shoot on Fridays only!

Just need to be brave, commit to one of them, and see how it turns out.

Many thanks

Mitch4

The metal work will all be very similar especially a miroku. The wood being natural will differ in density and appearance the density will effect the balance a bit thus is out of the factory, once out of the box the potential for variation increases.

Whether you can tell depends on you, some people are or at least claim to be sensitive to the slightest variation others don't

Edited by HDAV

In answer to your original question, "are all guns of the same make/model the same", in my experience the answer has to be NO. Probably more so in the Browning /Miroku models than in others, but I have handled 3 Mk 70 guns all the same specs. and each one felt totally different. Popping each on the scales showed up to 1/4 lbs. difference in weights. These guns were all 'straight out of the box'. I have owned and shot Miroku models for all of my shooting life and can safely say that each gun has it's own individuality, probably due to wood densities and minor differences to the woodwork measurements. By all means try and get a better deal, BUT, it is always worth trying a gun before you buy.

Mechanically they will all be the same ,wood work and ribs will vary dependent on specific specification ,trap , field , sporting . Funny thing about guns is that if you have 5 identical guns of the same make and model one will always feel better to you when you handle them .

Price is certainly a major factor but if you pick up a gun that feels right even if it is a little more than you wanted to spend ,weigh that against costs of possible stock alterations and the nagging feeling that the gun you bought wasn't as nice as the one you didn't .

well my 687 eell feels and is a lot different to my dt10 and that is different again to my ase.these are different to the so models so in my opinion as a life long beretta user is no they are not the same just because they are from the same maker.a lot of people I know who have shot both the dt10 and the dt11 say they are different.

well my 687 eell feels and is a lot different to my dt10 and that is different again to my ase.these are different to the so models so in my opinion as a life long beretta user is no they are not the same just because they are from the same maker.a lot of people I know who have shot both the dt10 and the dt11 say they are different.

They certainly are!

If you are in the North West - get up to Bamfords at Eccleston - top people to deal with.

A little further up the road is the best gun shop I have been in - Malmo, near Lancaster. Brilliant prices - straight as a dye - and you can try them before you buy.

If you are in Derbyshire - Jim Nevilles at Alfreton.

Lincolnshire - Derek Lee.

You won't go wrong with any of these.

If you are in the North West - get up to Bamfords at Eccleston - top people to deal with.

A little further up the road is the best gun shop I have been in - Malmo, near Lancaster. Brilliant prices - straight as a dye - and you can try them before you buy.

If you are in Derbyshire - Jim Nevilles at Alfreton.

Lincolnshire - Derek Lee.

You won't go wrong with any of these.

+1 for Malmo's, traded my 20 year old B325 for a new 525. Tell you what through, you can tell the workmanship on these new guns is no where near as good as the old ones, you can see all tooling marks on action, couldn't on my 325.

Reggiegun