I think this will be my last post

claybreaker88

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi I have enjoyed the early years on here but I have to admit the same old rubbish keeps cropping up I am fed up with it in my thinking this is armchair shooting talking about it not actually doing it then talking about it.

Thanks to all responded to my questions thankyou.

Paul.

What do you expect? Not being funny but no forum is going to stay how it was "Back in the day" as more new members join, you will have to expect the same sort of questions re-appearing.

Note also that you have only made 88 posts ???

Its always the same this time of year. Newbies get PC for xmas join a forum and ask the same questions over and over and over and over again

It does get a very boring when you see " What's the best 17hmr ammo" every other week or "How much you paying for ammo"

If you can't afford it your in the wrong sport ???:good:

Jonno

WHAT A SHAME !!!!

This saddens me to read posts like this ,the point about reacurring topics is nothing can be done unless some one saves them all and points others who ask in that direction .I am newbie and apologise if i have covered old ground but i want to learn for m people like yourself who have seen and learn`t allready!!

At the end of the day you need new members to keep a forum going so either do something about it and help or maybe just not read the topics that keep cropping up !!!

!

Well in order to solve this we could always get the mods to pin a thread with links to all the common questions in the welcome to new members section. You know the questions... whats better .177 or .22, decoying patterns, building a hide, good fox gun etc. That way they can get directed straight to the relevant threads instead of asking loads of questions. However, I am/once one of those questioning newb's and this forum has helped me so much, which makes me sad to think I have annoyed people and contributed towardspeople like claybreaker88's decisions to leave ???.

Its always the same this time of year. Newbies get PC for xmas join a forum and ask the same questions over and over and over and over again

It does get a very boring when you see " What's the best 17hmr ammo" every other week or "How much you paying for ammo"

If you can't afford it your in the wrong sport :good::lol:

Jonno

I'm sure I've asked something close to this, but I'm newish and HAVE spent a lot of time reading past posts before asking. Some of us are not know it alls, and need to learn. Previous posts don't always give the answers you are looking for, and new kit is arriving every day so sometimes they don't even cover the subject fully. I enjoy helping people that know less than myself, and if they ask a daft (to me) question, then they are looking for help to get it right. I feel that's enough to warrant repeating yourself and saying something that you've known for a long time, everyone has to start somewhere. I'm sorry you're bored with the forum, maybe you know so much there's nothing more to learn. I appreciate the efforts of the mod team for keeping this forum running, and calling it boring is rude ???

Perhaps its time to start compiling a Frequently Asked Questions ?

You can't get miffed with newbies asking "those questions" unless you show them the answers or places to get the answers - works everywhere else.

Ok, some numpties won't read the FAQ, but once you have it you can refer to it first.

No?

Newbies, don't sweat it, we were all newbies once. I asked plenty of daft questions when I joined and I still do - the best bit about this forum is that there is always some good sole on here who will answer any question and who will bail you out of the ****.

All I would ask is that if you have any "samey" type questions then post them in an entertaining fashion.

asking questions is one of the ways we all learn anything. newbies are just a little bit naive in thinking that there question is original. Or they just don't think and post any way i'm sure we all have done it at some time. id rather have newbies asking questions and learning than have them go around oblivious causing problems and accidents.

without newbies theres no future in our sport.

There is no point in having a "Frequently Asked Questions" section, because nobody would read it.

At the top of most sections there are pinned "How to do it" threads, but people still ask the questions that those threads answer.

Also, we have a Search facility, but new members rarely use it.

This is nothing unique to Pigeon Watch, every Forum that I have ever visited has the same situation.

Nobody is obliged to answer a question, or post on a thread.

If questions go unanswered, then usually a Moderator will answer, or point the member to the specific thread they need.

Its as simple as that.

Whilst I agree with you in sentiment I think there is still some value in it, and some degree of cynicism in your reply Cranfield - and I will explain why.

A FAQ isn't always something you read first, but something you can be pointed at. Rather than typing out a whole "this comes up all the time the general idea is blah try doing a search" point the person with the question towards the FAQ which answers it and lists previous responses.

With the signup email we could perhaps make reference to the FAQ and suggest people have a gander before posting. I agree, most might not read it, but from little acorns and all that?

Just my view, having been on the net since the very start I have seen how useful FAQ's are and they do work, not always, but I don't think that is a good reason for not bothering.

I'd be happy to help out, by the way - these things don't write and compile themselves ???

No "cynicism", just a few years of experience of Moderating this Forum and being closely involved with a few others.

Admin has discussed a FAQ section every time the site is "refreshed", which is quite often and we all agree that it would be a lot of hard work producing it and keeping it uptodate, for no great benefit.

Whilst your offer of help is appreciated, save it for the PC advice you give to members, we appreciate that.

claybreaker88 Posted on: Apr 9 2006, 05:48 PM

Good Pigeon Shooter

Group: Members

Member No.: 2279

Hi peops I get the feeling this site is slowing down in many ways many threads are not as interesting as they used to be more posts are about personal things like i got my certificate.so what,we need more about what happens in the field,fieldcraft.equipment that sort of thing.

Paul.

Forum: General Banter · Post Preview: #160910 · Replies: 4 · Views: 112

look like a whinger to me.

What one person designates a boring thread, my constitute someone else's trove of knowledge. I still find the threads on here interesting and I've been around a while.

I'm not judging though, there could be a good reason why he deemed PW to be getting boring.

I dont think having a FAQ is the way forward either..

to be honest.. if you honestly think about it... if these questions didnt repeat them selfs. than what would most of us do... the only couple of spots that would be updated.. would be gen discussion, pictures, vids, crafts.

guns and ammo... well I think we covered every gun, all types of ammo, etc for the uk.

so we NEED to repeat questions .... sometimes its a good reminder... I for one have gained alot more knowledge because of all these repeated questions... so much so I now own a 17hmr..

PS I am about to ask a question on it... but will do that in the appropiate thread... I CANT BE BOTHERED LOOKING TO SEE IF IT HAS BEEN ANSWERED BEFORE!!!! I WOULD BE BORED IF THAT WERE THE CASE!!!

PPS sorry for yelling there... but it just makes my point.

From a personal point of view, I do wonder sometimes, why people post they've had enough. If you want out stop posting, its as simple as that isnt it? A forum is only as good as the effort you put into it. I for one have enjoyed PW a great deal and the wealth of information that I have gained from the valued members here has enabled me to enter the sport with knowledge and safety. I have met many members and have created new freindships from it and am proud to be part of it. ???

From a Moderator point of view, I do think that the search facility is a very good source of information and would like to see more people using it. The forum covers a wide variety of subjects which I doubt realisticly can be covered in a single FAQ. As Cranfield mentions alot effort is being made to keep the forum up to date and make useful information available in pinned topics, I just wish people would refer to them more often. Suggestions & Additions to the site, is the place to recomend things you would like to see on the forum.

I agree that an FAQ isn't always the answer. New equipment, guns, ammo and mothods are produced/discovered all the time. You have to compare the new stuff to the old stuff to get a proper feel for the potential value to you as an individual.

They might be the same questions - however they about a differnt scope (if you pardon the pun ??? ) of products.

I've just started and I must admint I read a few BB's on Air gunning and feel that this one has the most useful posts. But then others sometimes answer my questions sooner - or give me what I want by searching.

I was lead here by running a g00gle search for the type of airgun that I wanted. I ended up being lucky and finding a whole kit for sale which I bought and (apart from a problem that only cost £22.50, which included a service to get fixed) it's great - and like new :good: .

However I have to kind of agree that it'd be more interesting reading about people's hunting exploits, what works and what didn't, how well their requests for shooting rights went using the letters that are available here and that kind if stuff rather than the non shooting elements.

Just my opinion.

Loui

hello all, i've not been on here a grat deal off time, and over the last three week i've been waiting for a new modem, so i've had no internet.

i thought i'd be on day and night when i got the new modem, how wrong i was. the first day i logged back on there wasn't much happening, same old do gooders leaveing smart **** comments instead of pointing people in the right direction, i think the problem here is that there is a lot of very knowledgable shooters who know there stuff, and expect everyone else to know the same. then you get the younger ones with very small minds who jump on the band wagon making it difficult for newbies to stay intrested.

in terms of the overall site i think it's good. all my questions have been answered in great detail, and i've been able to read back and find the answer without posting a topic. there's a small community amongst the higher posters which is good, and also heated debates are soon forgoton.

i'll keep on reading as long as i need answers, so i'm guessing i'll be about.

regards kieran