Road Safety cameras good idea or not?

johnnythefox70

The humble "speed" camera is just a deterrent and people only slow down as they pass, then speed up again once passed. As for the points on your licence, I think they should be on a sliding scale, i.e. The higher the speed, the more points.

As it stands at present, you receive the same points and fine if you do 33mph or 45mph.

The camera only sees one thing (your traffic offence) and not the bigger picture (you getting out of the way of a ambulance). I would like to think that those 3 points helped save someone's life all them years ago.

I think in some cases they make a positive difference and I don't mind them in some places, in towns where there is a high potential of people/vehicle conflict, but i also think that they are used incredibly cynically and so much of it is about gathering fines and convictions for road policing statistics.

How many speed cameras do you see near schools compared to the number where roads open up into a nice straight?

Only have to look at Snake Pass, very popular with bikers, so what happens, loads of speed cameras.

Road doesn't make it into top 10 dangerous roads in uk even though 9 of the 10 were in Northern England.

How many speed cameras do you see near schools compared to the number where roads open up into a nice straight?

Only have to look at Snake Pass, very popular with bikers, so what happens, loads of speed cameras.

Road doesn't make it into top 10 dangerous roads in uk even though 9 of the 10 were in Northern England.

I agree, where used appropriately I don't have an issue, but so many are nothing but cynical and very often where there is the only decent overtaking opportunities.

Edited by grrclark

and very often where there is the only decent overtaking opportunities.

Or as above anywhere us bikers can have a bit of fun :lol: B)

They would have more success with accidents on the Pass if they banned anything but bikes from going up there :yes:

Edited by 955i

Loads around here especially average speed cameras at 30mph. As far as I'm concerned its actually more dangerous having them than not as i literally spend more time watching the speedo than watching the road!

Same as the ridiculous gantry messages.

'Road closed 20 miles away on a road you are not getting off on'

Everyone takes their eyes off the road to see what it says.......10 mins later........'Accident, congestion'

Just another way of fleecing the poor motorist-joe average coming home from work and doing 34 in a 30-maybe thinking of the kids when FLASH and the days money has gone. I know its a cliché but why don't they spend time looking for rapists and muggers and I know we are not allowed to preach hatred for our valiant boys in blue but they make my blood boil. There must be a way of weeing on their strawberries-I know people who go round the outskirts of our town several times to flash oncoming drivers and warn them but some drivers don't seem to know that flashing headlights and a thumbs down sign means speed trap ahead-spread the word and lets all do it-at the end of the day you are simply slowing down the traffic and the police should be glad of your help-unless, of course, they are more concerned with money than safety?

i would love to follow them mobile cameras around and when they set up drive 200yds down the street and sit there with a massive sign saying slow down camera ahead, and when they move follow them and do it again!

Although not far from me there is a neon camera sign which lights up if your doing over 30mph... Its sole purpose is to tell you that you are going over the limit and theres a camera 100yds further on?! Id be surprised if that camera has caught anyone!

I have one place near me that is a 30 mph limit. There is no school and no-one is crossing the road. But there is regularly a mobile speed camera car. In this case it really is a negative thing to have since it is not helping anyone, they just know that they can make some money.

If a speed camera is positioned so that the idea is not to catch the maximum number of people and is used so that it can potentially prevent someone being hurt by someone exceeding the speed limit then fair play.

On motorways they should be set to monitor the distance between cars as well as speed, you have a clear road ahead and speeding a bit, no problem. Speeding and 2 foot off someones ****, points and/or ban.

Tailgating is far more dangerous than speed and would get a load of dodgy hgv drivers off the road.

Money making machines especially the mobile ones they will do you for anything

I got done for slowing down to check a street name van was on the other side of the road

code was MS60 put my insurance up by £500 a year

What so we are not allowed to cross to other side of road now??

Many councils now include the revenue from parking fines and speeding fines into their budget; if that revenue falls so does the budget they receive from central, so it is obvious (in our town anyhow) that revenue received from such schemes is simply that, the gathering of revenue.

On an aside, I find it amusing that many on here who will jump down the throat of anyone who steps over the line regarding shooting legislation, are quite happy to advocate the demise of speed cameras so they can break the speed limit legislation without consequences! :ninja:

Or as above anywhere us bikers can have a bit of fun :lol: B)

They would have more success with accidents on the Pass if they banned anything but bikes from going up there :yes:

I am not "anti biker" by any manner or means and nor am I trying to be antagonistic but are you saying that bikers should have a different set of laws to other "road users"?

Our government has decided to downsize and reduce tax subsidy to many areas.

Local government has been hit hard and whilst it needs to sort itself out in general they will struggle. (by the way a lot of the garb they do was forced upon them by Labour)

The cost of policing, fire services, etc isn't going down without cutting services or efficiencies, or raising income!!!

Pickles the slim has it in for Local Authorities and as a political philosophy (Big Society) they don't want to subsidise services, libraries, day care, youth outreach etc but want local authorities to deal with the consequences and pay for solutions locally! Fine if you can afford it.

Watch out as we are moving towards a greater social divide and gap between rich and poor and middle classes.

This bunch are a joke!!!

Got to be off now but hard hat is on and ready for the flack later!

Money making machines especially the mobile ones they will do you for anything

I got done for slowing down to check a street name van was on the other side of the road

code was MS60 put my insurance up by £500 a year

Can I ask why you got clobbered for slowing down?