Red Kites

bullet dodger

Following the re introduction of these fine birds , has anyone noted a drop in rabbit numbers ? We have a pair locally and the rabs are definately on the decline !

Since the hunting ban fox numbers have burgeoned...this is the reason why rabbit numbers are in decline. Before 1955 and the introduction of Myxomatosis Buzzard (and Rabbit) numbers were strong so it wouldn't be predation by these.

I always thought they wood kill when they had young to feed

They do....quite capable of snatching a very young rabbit or other small mammal, but they are evolved for soaring and tracking down carrion & earthworms which make up a high percentage of their diet. Unlike other common raptors they are not structured for speed of the hunt.

They do....quite capable of snatching a very young rabbit or other small mammal, but they are evolved for soaring and tracking down carrion & earthworms which make up a high percentage of their diet. Unlike other common raptors they are not structured for speed of the hunt.

I see you have my favorite sea bird as your avatar.used to love watching them, when i had my boat,happy days

The rabbit numbers here are on the decline rapidly!!

I have been told that VHD has been released which will devastate the rabbit population.

http://www.veterinaryresearch.org/content/43/1/12

VHD virus has in fact been established in Britains wild rabbit populations since 1992 and its so virulent it was a notifiable disease to the then Ministry of Agriculture and Food.

I used to do the odd job for a commercial rabbit breeder around that time who had 15,000 rabbits wiped out by it and subsequently packed it in and moved to France.

Maff lifted the need to notify the virus after it became uncontrollable and pet rabbits required to be vaccinated.The disease could and possibly is still widespread but as outbreaks are not recorded and many deaths occur underground its difficult to know. But, as with Myxomatosis certain populations have built up immunity, particularly those which may have interbred with domesticated rabbits.

Wouldn't it be obtuse if in a few years time we ended up vaccinating wild Rabbits just to stop them dying out in Britain. !!

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Yes Mine too...that and the Jackdaw of which I had many as pets when I was a lad...among the most intelligent of birds.

I have a real soft spot for corvids.

( though i didnt twenty years ago when they used to pull the heads off my ducklings when they found a gap under the hut)