Pump action owners - can you help me out?

njc110381

I'm really missing my pump action just lately. The trouble is the last one I had was just too long for me - I'm not that tall and have short arms!

Could you all do me a favour? Next time you have your gun out of the safe could you measure from the butt end of the stock to the back of the fore end when it's pushed forwards and post it up here please? I'm trying to find out which gun would suit me best.

As always, I'd be most grateful for your replies!

I'll measure my hatsan 20g pump later it's fairly compact 13.5" lop with all the spacers in. Could be tempted to part with it.

Edit- I forgot to say if your anywhere near me nick your welcome to borrow mine for a few days to try.

Edited by bicykillgaz

Just as a thought, in my limited experience the American models tend to be shorter which is either as they're home defence models they would be easier to swing in a small space, or the rampant obesity so no shoulder mount when a few inches of moob will suffice?

Thank you so much - that is a mental image I would rather not have experienced...

From the butt to the beginning of the forend (when forward)

Ithaca M37 = 24"

Browning BPS = 25" (however does have a kick eez recoil pad fitted extending the original stock by around 1.5")

Browning BPS! can I hell as like find one. I want one! I want one! I want one! Now!

Browning BPS! can I hell as like find one. I want one! I want one! I want one! Now!

I was on the look out for sometime! Was absolutely made up when I got my hands on it. I love it. Rarely gets used but don't think I would be selling it anytime soon!

It's a 24" version with a fixed choke (around 1/4) without a rib. Someone else on here has one, but the more useful longer one with a rib & multi-choke.

Lovely pump

The Ithaca M37 is basically a BPS and also a very very lovely gun in it's own right. I won't be parting with mine anytime soon ;-)

just googled some images. I didn't realise these ejected out of the bottom of the action too. I missed out on one of these a while back.

got a spare S1 shotgun slot on my FAC so could have either S1 or S2, depends on what comes up. Would prefer a S2 though as I want a Super Nova in S1.

just googled some images. I didn't realise these ejected out of the bottom of the action too. I missed out on one of these a while back.

got a spare S1 shotgun slot on my FAC so could have either S1 or S2, depends on what comes up. Would prefer a S2 though as I want a Super Nova in S1.

There is one for sale on the stalking directory

The Ithaca M37 is basically a BPS

*This* may help you to see the error of your ways: :)

http://www.randywakeman.com/Ithaca37_Browning_%20BPS_Compare.htm

For those that can't follow the link, this'll give you a flavour of the content:

With the exception of the bottom ejection platform, the BPS is vastly

different from the Ithaca Model 37. The trigger group is pinned into

place, the slide release is on the left rear of the trigger guard, the slip-fit

barrel has a barrel extension and tab array, and the safety is a thumb

safety on top of the receiver.

Regards,

Mark.

Thanks chaps for your input. I actually had a BPS synthetic 3" magnum with a 28" multi choke barrel once, but it was too long for me to shoot well so I sold it. They are indeed cracking guns, but hard to find.

I am wondering if a 20g youth model might fit the bill?

Thanks chaps for your input. I actually had a BPS synthetic 3" magnum with a 28" multi choke barrel once, but it was too long for me to shoot well so I sold it. They are indeed cracking guns, but hard to find.

I am wondering if a 20g youth model might fit the bill?

Does the winchester sxp not fit? If not then a youth model may be the way, as the sxp is one of the shortest.

There is one for sale on the stalking directory

Registered on the forum and posted a reply. Going to have to see if I can prize a few quid out of the Mrs. I've just bought a rifle and sent my shotgun in for converting for PSG, on top of that we are just about to buy a house.

Fancy having a whip round for me?

Not quite the 'copy' I thought it was.

Indeed, not.

I shall revise my info to 'based on a Browning design'

Hmmmmm. But *was* it? I had a quick fossik around the Net, but couldn't find much in the way of the design history of the BPS. (I note that it has a mag cut-off facility - something that M37s do *not* have.)

I actually wouldn't mind acquiring an S.2 BPS, myself - you know, just to say I've *had* one...

Regards,

Mark.