Dont cap my benefits.

Jega

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To quote Boris Johnson (again)

A culture with "an over inflated sense of entitlement" has developed through a series of stupid weak government policies and labour manipulating immigration laws to get more foreigners in to vote for them.

I deliberately didn't watch the programme as I knew it would anger me...but can guess the content.

We need work houses, benefits should be earned not assumed.

I thought for a moment when I first read this that it was describing the members of the Houses of Parliament

If I was laid off, unable to work etc tomorrow I would be entitled to naff all. Having a higher than average income I've paid a fair amount of tax over the time I have been working. I'd loose everything and be "entitled" to a one room bedsit. If I had alcohol dependency, was high all the time, unable to use contraception, was foreign etc I'd get everything. That seems fair.

If I was laid off, unable to work etc tomorrow I would be entitled to naff all. Having a higher than average income I've paid a fair amount of tax over the time I have been working. I'd loose everything and be "entitled" to a one room bedsit. If I had alcohol dependency, was high all the time, unable to use contraception, was foreign etc I'd get everything. That seems fair.

It makes no difference if you are foreign or not, your 'entitlement' is entirely decided by your cirumstances and not your ethnicity. If you are a home owner then theoretically you have equity, albeit tied up, but I believe that you can have your mortgage interest paid for you, a reduction in council tax, JSA etc. For you to get the maximium pay outs you have to have nothing to start with. I'm certainly not saying the system is sensible and fair, it isn't, but it isn't quite as you suggest.

I don't remember any reference to a Somali woman?!? Are you talking about the lady in the head scarf with 2 daughters, one of which chose to stay in Brent whilst her sister and mother moved to Luton? If so, I think she was Ethiopian.

That was the lady I was referring to, I thought she was from Somalia.

Exactly. Sprackles' difficulties are precisely the kind of circumstances the welfare state was originally set up to address. Instead it has mutated into a grossly expensive social engineer laboratory where foreign benefit tourism and institutionalised idleness are promoted at the expense genuine short-term claimants who would benefit most from assistance.

I have every sympathy with Sprackles - that is the crappy end of the stick. There does not exist a system in the UK to assist sick or unemployed homeowners who find themselves on hard times, despite their massive contribution to society. The tax credit system can help, but not for everyone.

A few years ago I had some involvement with a DWP initiative assisting people who'd been made redundant in the credit crunch. These were people who had no notion of claiming benefits, I came across lawyers, accountants, engineers, public servants, you name it, I came across them. Most of them were shocked into numbness and depression by the lack of financial support available for them. Many of them said to me that they felt like they had been left on the scrapheap, while the scrotes and scratters in these estates, happy to live on rents that will forever be paid by the state, seem to live the life of Reilly.

FAOD: Not everyone who lives on an estate is a scrote and a scratter. But then most scrotes and scratters do live on them.

The other side of the coin is as Dekers says, the original intention was to help those in need.

Fast forward to me......22 years with the same employer but then got sick........won't bore you with the details but I have been off work for approaching 8 months now and my employer won't let me back as yet however they have stopped my pay and my SSP has run out.

I am struggling to get benefit of any type and have been helped by a friends wife who works for the DSS to fill in the forms but the best I can expect in my circumstances is around the £50 to £60 a week mark.

Living on fresh air at the minute so all the hype surrounding these programs and articles in the tabloids is certainly not what I am experiencing.

I reckon if things are not sorted in the next month or so I will be approaching bankruptcy.

I am a homeowner so no rent payments and the rules on mortgages mean I get next to nothing.

And this is where the system is wrong Sprackles, you should be entitled to more help than you are getting. As someone has already posted, benefits should be a support not a lifestyle choice.

Just watched it - surely it is concious decision to have 5 or 7 kids - and I would think people would understand the financial ramifications of this decision.

I'm also wondering why people on benefits should not be subject to the same decisions as people in work. If you can't afford to live in a particular area - you don't.

Just changing the subject a little bit , in todays paper there is a big old bird who is blaming the government for giving her to much benefits and that made her FAT ,must be 1st April again , off to do a late shift now to keep these people fat , :mad:

Remembering that the program was about benefit caps and centered around London housing costs, perhaps we should remind ourselves that the root of the problem stems from the nonexistent council housing availability.

This appalling situation resulted from Mrs Thatchers government's criminal decision to sell off the council house stock on the cheap to the then tenants. We are now reaping the reward for that crackpot decision.

If council housing still existed, with tenants paying a fair means tested rent based on total household income, we would not be in a position where the private sector was profiteering from the tax payer.

Remember that the greatest proportion of benefit paid to those on the program last night was for housing costs.

Remembering that the program was about benefit caps and centered around London housing costs, perhaps we should remind ourselves that the root of the problem stems from the nonexistent council housing availability.

This appalling situation resulted from Mrs Thatchers government's criminal decision to sell off the council house stock on the cheap to the then tenants. We are now reaping the reward for that crackpot decision.

If council housing still existed, with tenants paying a fair means tested rent based on total household income, we would not be in a position where the private sector was profiteering from the tax payer.

Remember that the greatest proportion of benefit paid to those on the program last night was for housing costs.

But anyone working doesn't have rent charged based on means testing - they live where and in what house size they're money allows them, including geographical challenges!

The issue is house pricing has gone up faster than incomes - it's not just a council house issue but why should some people be protected and others not? We should all share in how hard and challenging that is.

But anyone working doesn't have rent charged based on means testing - they live where and in what house size they're money allows them, including geographical challenges!

The issue is house pricing has gone up faster than incomes - it's not just a council house issue but why should some people be protected and others not? We should all share in how hard and challenging that is.

I believe that housing benefit is available to working people on low income.

Quite agree, perhaps a way around the housing benefit thing, would be to cap maximum payments allowed for 2/3/4 bedroom then the private sector might feel less inclined to charge whatever they like and the claiment would have to make up the shortfall

I believe that housing benefit is available to working people on low income.

But the cap is at the average wage - they're earning more than anyone on low incomes by staying home.

If the cap was at minimum wage or bottom quartile of earning I would agree.

Quite agree, perhaps a way around the housing benefit thing, would be to cap maximum payments allowed for 2/3/4 bedroom then the private sector might feel less inclined to charge whatever they like and the claiment would have to make up the shortfall

Personally, I would treat benefit "housing" claimants and MP's "second homes" in London in much the same way, both groups are receiving housing at the tax payers expense for the luxury of living in the capital.

A simple and cost effective solution would be to build very basic housing to provide basic needs and charge a means tested rent based on total household income. So if working children are living with their parent/s their income is also taken into account when assessing rent.

A simple and cost effective solution would be to build very basic housing to provide basic needs and charge a means tested rent based on total household income. So if working children are living with their parent/s their income is also taken into account when assessing rent.

Tower Blocks?