Clay snobbery....and an excuse to buy a new shotty

death from below

Dear all, I am an established woody shooter and have recently been branching out into the world of clay pigeon shooting. I have always used my trusty beretta Urika semi auto for field work. Having been to a few clay grounds in the south east/essex area I often wonder if I have suddenly grown an extra head by the looks I get from some of the O/U £10,000 super duper clayers at the clubs. Having spoken to a few it is obvious that there is a covert snobbery going on with semi auto's being looked down upon by certain snap and shut mercahnts(only a few....the reast of the regular clay shooters are both friendly and good to chat to). Has anyone else found any noses being turned up at your semi(gun that is). I always make sure by gun safe ribbon and loud and proudly hanging from the Urika.

Anyway afer all that blah....what I am really after is some advice from you guys(and gals). I am after a inexpensive over and under to go claying with but also something that I can lug around a field with me aswell. My Urika was the only shotty that I ever bought and it has given me no probs whatsoever so that is why I have never looked at any others. I really do not want to pay anymore than £400 so i gues I am looking at second hand. There are so many articles etc on which shotty is best etc. I would like to here some real world advice from anyone(especially if you may be selling what I am looking for).

Enough rattling on....thanks in adevance for any replies.

DFB

:blush:

God just read my post.....must sort my two finger typing/spelling out

DFB

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Few more quid and you are into fair second hand Beretta 686 territory..

I have had a couple of sa's and you sometimes see people having a good look to see if the breech is open and whatnot.

I think some of it is because they spit shells out, but anyone I know with a sa makes a point of picking spent shells up, not something I can say I see the same number of o/u users doing :blush:

I guess it's to do with shooting etiquette...semis and various other types of gun might be fine when you're a lone wildfowler, pigeon shooter etc but when in company at say a clay shoot or a game shoot they just aren't seen as acceptable. Bit like picking your nose in public! :blush:

I shoot my camo'ed Xtrema at wildfowl and pigeons as it's a good tool for the job but I wouldn't dream of using it at a clay shoot and ban me if ever I turned up to shoot game with it.

I must get a snazzy picture like so many others on this site....highlanders great big moose/water buffalo thing is a bit scary.......or is it one of those deformed steriod enduced rabbits that the anti's liberated from Avons lipstick and cigarette factory a while back.

DFb

Oi that's a piccy of his missus :/

Dear all, I am an established woody shooter and have recently been branching out into the world of clay pigeon shooting. I have always used my trusty beretta Urika semi auto for field work. Having been to a few clay grounds in the south east/essex area I often wonder if I have suddenly grown an extra head by the looks I get from some of the O/U £10,000 super duper clayers at the clubs. Having spoken to a few it is obvious that there is a covert snobbery going on with semi auto's being looked down upon by certain snap and shut mercahnts(only a few....the reast of the regular clay shooters are both friendly and good to chat to). Has anyone else found any noses being turned up at your semi(gun that is). I always make sure by gun safe ribbon and loud and proudly hanging from the Urika.

Anyway afer all that blah....what I am really after is some advice from you guys(and gals). I am after a inexpensive over and under to go claying with but also something that I can lug around a field with me aswell. My Urika was the only shotty that I ever bought and it has given me no probs whatsoever so that is why I have never looked at any others. I really do not want to pay anymore than £400 so i gues I am looking at second hand. There are so many articles etc on which shotty is best etc. I would like to here some real world advice from anyone(especially if you may be selling what I am looking for).

Enough rattling on....thanks in adevance for any replies.

DFB

God just read my post.....must sort my two finger typing/spelling out

DFB

I often find the Toffs with their Range rovers and bently cars turning up with high end guns in excess of £10.000 ALWAYS leave spent carts lying about. And can't shoot for toffee :P

It don't matter WHAT gun you use i used a left hand cast Baikal and came 6th in a comp can you imagine the looks on their faces if you came first with a Investarm :P:/

I often find people complain about Semi's at clubs and MORE so when game shooting.

Yes there is a bit of a class thing at some grounds but on the whole i just get on with it with a £230 Lanber and do just fine.

Ignore the toffs. Your there to have a good time and pay the same as THEY do.

LG

DFB,

I think you're imagining things if you believe clay shooters at the grounds you mentioned have a downer on people using semi-auto's, in fact some of the best shooters in the country are now using semi-auto's due to reduced recoil. Provided you are safe in handling the gun, you should never get any funny looks or comments.

I also think, as others have said, that your budget is too low for a DECENT clay gun, i.e. one that's specifically designed for shooting clays and that won't fall to pieces in a couple of years.

Far better to carry on shooting the S/A until you have saved up a bit more dosh..??

Cat

DFB,

I think you're imagining things if you believe clay shooters at the grounds you mentioned have a downer on people using semi-auto's, in fact some of the best shooters in the country are now using semi-auto's due to reduced recoil. Provided you are safe in handling the gun, you should never get any funny looks or comments.

I also think, as others have said, that your budget is too low for a DECENT clay gun, i.e. one that's specifically designed for shooting clays and that won't fall to pieces in a couple of years.

Far better to carry on shooting the S/A until you have saved up a bit more dosh..??

Cat

Dear Cat, you may be right...i do not have any of the shooting vests etc that seem to go with the clay scene. Maybe its 'casue my eyes are too close together or something....maybe its a bit like being a new kid at a new school....I fit in very easily with what i know(field pigeon shooting) but being a bit unsure of the clay etiquette maybe I AM BEING A BIT PARANOID...as an earlier post rightly said, maybe I should just get on with enjoying the sport and not worry too much about other preferences.....I am certain though that there can be no concerns re my safety...I reckon you are right....A few more sheckles in the piggy bank need to be stacked up before I get a second entry on my SGC.....thanks to all for your posts

ps....cat I think your lime wearing feline is brill

DFB

MUNGLERS CAT V CATAMONGSTS.......LIME HEAD AGAINST THE BOXER........IT'S A TOUGH ONE TO CALL

dfb

:/

I couldn't agree more Hot shot.

After all a shotgun is precisely that a shotgun. Some handle differently than others but essentially they all do the same job.

Providing your gun handling is safe and I believe it is as you have already mentioned a safe flag then don't worry about it.

If I use my semi on a clay shoot I either carry it in a slip between stands or put the butt in my skeet vest pocket and carry it pointing upwards.

But if you want a new gun then go and buy one but don't get one just because of a few funny looks :)

Its the same kind of snobbery you get with golf. I have a lovely set of clubs but a tatty old bag to carry them round it, I always keep to the dress code but you see the "ping brigade" with their oversize american bags all pristine and neat. Mine gets thrown on the grass, kicked about and "used" not looked at.

Big difference is they are all tackle tarts and couldn't hit a ball straight down a pipe :)

Certain parallels can be drawn here I think :yes:

Depends on the course and tees you play from (and rubbish winter greens this time of year) but 90 isn't a bad score at all mate, given the time of year, state of the ground (not much carry on sodden fairways) and playing into paddling pool sized greens :)

To be honest you can find this kind of snobbery anywhere. Outside the local school, in the company car park, anywhere.

The best thing you can do is: be a safe shot, maybe get one of those safety flags that sits in the chamber if you don't already have one, be honest, friendly and pleasant, and then shoot better than anyone else!

At our club we are a rag tag bunch of farmers, keepers and general oinks. There are a few with really nice guns and all the equipment but they are straight down the line types of guys. The first gun I ever used when shooting clays was a pump action I borrowed on the day. I imagine that would be really frowned upon these days :-)

Just prove to them that it is the person behind the gun, not the amount of £££'s spent on a shiny new weapon that counts.

/Mad

Agreed too! I use my black Benelli semi for clays, hell sometimes I even use my black Mossberg pump action. If you want to annoy some people try that for a go :yes:

Last year I did dtl with it, the bloke next to me was friendly but made a kind of "good luck with that thing" kind of comment. Didnt seem quite some amused when I battered his score easily :)

Agreed too! I use my black Benelli semi for clays, hell sometimes I even use my black Mossberg pump action. If you want to annoy some people try that for a go :lol:

Last year I did dtl with it, the bloke next to me was friendly but made a kind of "good luck with that thing" kind of comment. Didnt seem quite some amused when I battered his score easily :yes:

A pump action at a clay ground....now that is quality.....Just like the only fools and horses episode when del goes to the pheasant shoot with a sawn off pump....And you are right....its not really what someone is shooting with....a £30,000 purdy is no different to a £150 Baikal if the shooter cant hit the target.

DFB

:)