Inclusion of the Greylag Goose onto the General License

scolopax

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 pages of reading? A lot to catch up on. If there is crop damage then there should be an application for an out of season licence rather than putting them on GL

+1, but it appears BASC don't want to hear it ! But what do we know !!! On another forum I have suggested that BASC should be campaigning to have special license easier to get and cut red tape.

Edited by edenman

Democracy means members holding their elected council representatives to account, how can the membership hold their individual elected BASC council representatives to account when they do not accept individual responsibility and hide behind a "joint responsibility" cop out?

It appears individual BASC council members can vote and make decisions on any issues affecting their members without proper consultation............but not be individually accountable for the way they vote or the decisions they make..............that is not my idea of democracy!

Islandgun, please look here: http://basc.org.uk/blog/media/consultations/english-general-licences-consultation-have-your-say/

All council elections and meetings are held in accordance with the rules and constitution, and link to which has been kindly posted above. and I have already posted the link to 'Contact Council' which is also on the BASC web site

David

+1, but it appears BASC don't want to hear it ! But what do we know !!! On another forum I have suggested that BASC should be campaigning to have special license easier to get and cut red tape.

Round my way, I know of a few farmers who get a licence because the pinks are a pain and that works. If there's a need for control you can get a licence and if not, you can't shoot them out of season. Folk will just use this as an excuse to shoot geese as 'vermin'

Is this a Natural England only proposal ? Farmers up here can get an extension type licence to have a couple of nominated guns control geese up till april I think it is and quite a lot have gone for it and it has made a little difference but some farmers would like to see them classed as vermin. I can see their point as they do tremendous damage to some fields costing them time and money to plough reseed etc. Up here I reckon if they added a month each end of the season for Grey's only it would make a bigger difference.

Quote "the democratically elected BASC members who make up Council have made their policy decision, and the background has been clearly explained on the BASC web site."

Its a pity they did not do a lot more research into the problem instead of ruling on a topic they clearly have no understanding of. Its looks very much as though they just rubber stamped the topic quickly and moved onto something else. There will be a lot of prospective BASC members who reading this topic how poorly BASC have handled this will have second thoughts. I would suggest the council and staff did their homework and reconsidered what they have done. If they do nothing this is a sore that will fester for years ( you are still getting moans about the canada situation ) and keep returning to these pages.

Anser2, Penelope.Thanks for bringing me up to speed about Brent it's been a long time since I was by the seawall in Essex,

someone mentioned NE wanting rid of non native spp well Greylag and mallard are native and not FERAL

would it be possible to start an on-line petition against the GL perhaps via PW ?

Well I am up for it as BASC seem to have picked their team (not sure who's it is but it sure aint wildfowlers). How do we go about this? Most important remember the deadline for response to NE closes soon

Given he background and context of BASC Councils decision has been clearly stated and posted on here at least twice I cant understand your conclusion that the NE proposal was simply 'rubber stamped'

Perhaps because we are being stone walled even when we ask for contact to council members for their thoughts and a good reason we are side tracked to another dept and given the same std response, very poor form.

Don't tell me this std statement is good reason when it works directly against those the council are put in place to represent please because its just getting tiresome now.

Frankly I personally feel there is something to hide here further than a big mistake

I have been following this and other threads on The GL subjects and have agreed with the views of the posters against the inclusion of greylag and mallard onto GL

I find that the BASC stance completely contempable to the members who ask the questions either through this forum or by email to BASC to be given a pre prepared stock statement

How dare they ask questions Is what I hear

Donkey

I have been following this and other threads on The GL subjects and have agreed with the views of the posters against the inclusion of greylag and mallard onto GL

I find that the BASC stance completely contempable to the members who ask the questions either through this forum or by email to BASC to be given a pre prepared stock statement

Donkey

This pretty much sums it up for me as well.

Anser2, Penelope.Thanks for bringing me up to speed about Brent it's been a long time since I was by the seawall in Essex,

someone mentioned NE wanting rid of non native spp well Greylag and mallard are native and not FERAL

would it be possible to start an on-line petition against the GL perhaps via PW ?

Well I am up for it as BASC seem to have picked their team (not sure who's it is but it sure aint wildfowlers). How do we go about this? Most important remember the deadline for response to NE closes soon

I dont know either would it be possible to get a poll pinned on PW at least we would have an idea of numbers (anyone know?)

David, could I ask, who's opinions on this were asked ?, what wildfowling clubs ?. What were the views and recommendations of the WLC. I'm after the opinions given before the decision was made not after.

Thanks

The ones I know of were not, it came as a pure shock to them

Donkey

I think this is were it really went bad. It also shows that the PR machine is out of order when it doesn't work on the previous faithful- begs the question how we speak to our opponents and what is happening on the Lead debate. Still wildfowlers don't matter- but who is next?

NE dictate and BASC comply, appears to be the order of the day.

David, could I ask, who's opinions on this were asked ?, what wildfowling clubs ?. What were the views and recommendations of the WLC. I'm after the opinions given before the decision was made not after.

Thanks

As I may have mentioned before, I do not have access to the WLC minutes nor the data and reports presented to Council.

Rather than setting up a poll why don't you respond to the NE consultation?

But as said several days ago- why on earth do any of you think BASC would do anything that could harm wildfowling or any other form of shooting?

Edited by David BASC

I dont know either would it be possible to get a poll pinned on PW at least we would have an idea of numbers (anyone know?)

Don't see much point in a petition which will be ignored.

They way to go is simple a special general meeting for the members to reset the policy of council.

As I may have mentioned before, I do not have access to the WLC minutes nor the data and reports presented to Council.

Rather than setting up a poll why don't you respond to the NE consultation?

But as said several days ago- why on earth do any of you think BASC would do anything that could harm wildfowling or any other form of shooting?

Because they have, spin that how you like even Max Clifford cannot escape the truth of what he has done. Recommending putting Mallard on GL (when the clubs are trying hard to increase nesting success with tunnels, rearing etc) Or Greylags (when they are limiting bags, rearing and releasing fresh blood, putting in place no shoot zones around the roosts) This directly harms shooting and BASC indirectly through disillusion of its membership through ignoring them and or sacrificing their goals.

Here you are kent, although I don't think that there will enough room for us all to bang ours heads against.

2f0b0vl.jpg

Because they have, spin that how you like even Max Clifford cannot escape the truth of what he has done. Recommending putting Mallard on GL (when the clubs are trying hard to increase nesting success with tunnels, rearing etc) Or Greylags (when they are limiting bags, rearing and releasing fresh blood, putting in place no shoot zones around the roosts) This directly harms shooting and BASC indirectly through disillusion of its membership through ignoring them and or sacrificing their goals.

Your presumption is that there will be significant increase in the number of greylags shot because they are causing agricultural damage if they go onto GL and that will have an impact on the number of greylags you will see in the season.

However, given that greylags have been shot outside of the season for years already , all be it under SL, and their numbers are increasing, where is the is the evidence for this predicted increase in shooting that will drop the population you see from September onwards?

As I have said, the trend for canada's is upwards since they went onto GL...

David, anecdotal evidence within this thread states that Canada numbers have fallen significantly in certain areas since their introduction to the GL, why do you think that would be?. Where is BASC's evidence to say that this won't happen with greylags?

What putting the greylag and canada geese on to GL does is give carte blanche to anyone who wants to rattle them anywhere, anytime for whatever reason (lets be honest).

Your presumption is that there will be significant increase in the number of greylags shot because they are causing agricultural damage if they go onto GL and that will have an impact on the number of greylags you will see in the season.

However, given that greylags have been shot outside of the season for years already , all be it under SL, and their numbers are increasing, where is the is the evidence for this predicted increase in shooting that will drop the population you see from September onwards?

As I have said, the trend for canada's is upwards since they went onto GL...