****** Heron is back

Cosd

When I lived in France my neighbour had a large carp pond which always had herons visiting, one day I saw him carrying away a dead heron, so asked how it had died, 'Drowned ' was all he said, later I found out he had traps set, around the edge in about 18 inches of water, a breeze block stood on end, a house brick balanced on the edge, from the brick a short length of fishing line attached to a small live fish on a treble hook, heron grabs fish and pulls, brick topples off and sinks with herons head close behind, flap flap gurgle gurgle, no more heron, just don't let anyone see.

I don't condone his actions, herons are protected, but shouldn't valuable fish be as well? :yes::yes:

I had a problem with cats crapping in my garden. I got a battery powered PIR motion activated sprinkler like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Contech-ScareCrow-Outdoor-Animal-Deterrent/dp/B000071NUS/

These are said to be very effective, were I get my Koi stuff they say its the only thing that gets rid other than full netting. Plastic Herons actually attract these days, long time ago when herons were real rare they were supposed to work but check out herons on the smolt run they are shoulder to shoulder on some rivers and Herons fish as social groups often (saw 14 on a small wet scape in the grass not long back ) heck I shouldn't have liked to be a frog in that spot

We have a cormorant visiting us so we have decided to get a mannequin and dress it up like a hunter with a timber shotgun and mount it on a scaffold pole so it can spin around and that should solve the problem if not we will have to try something else

Or a real shotgun tends to work..... :shoot:

I had a problem with cats crapping in my garden. I got a battery powered PIR motion activated sprinkler like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Contech-ScareCrow-Outdoor-Animal-Deterrent/dp/B000071NUS/

That's hilarious, on a thread last year I suggested somebody wire up a PIR to a hose to keep the cats off their garden and the post got removed as someone said it was cruel :-)

That's hilarious, on a thread last year I suggested somebody wire up a PIR to a hose to keep the cats off their garden and the post got removed as someone said it was cruel :-)

What can you say, some people! Only reason I haven't done it is the first time the dog triggers it he would treat it as a great game and likely wreck it or drop it into the pond.

Herons get quite brazen after a good few visits you practically need to give them a shove to remove them from pond side, early doors they spook as easy as a crow, If you see these things in action a cannot see them not working and do those fools know that herons don't mind getting wet - its the shock effect

When I lived in France my neighbour had a large carp pond which always had herons visiting, one day I saw him carrying away a dead heron, so asked how it had died, 'Drowned ' was all he said, later I found out he had traps set, around the edge in about 18 inches of water, a breeze block stood on end, a house brick balanced on the edge, from the brick a short length of fishing line attached to a small live fish on a treble hook, heron grabs fish and pulls, brick topples off and sinks with herons head close behind, flap flap gurgle gurgle, no more heron, just don't let anyone see.

I don't condone his actions, herons are protected, but shouldn't valuable fish be as well? :yes::yes:

Harnser will cast a spell on your mate

I gave up keeping koi in the end as the heron had the lot on numerous occasions. I felt the only way of keeping it out was to net the whole pond, and that spoilt the point of having it.

They will stop at nothing, very clever birds........this video is testimony to their skills in finding food. I actually saw one doing this some years ago :yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RewYXyhSFxw

Edited by turbo33

Well that wasn't such a quick kill! If they do that they are welcome at my Koi pond, the water is deep enough at the edge to protect the fish in the main from the instinctive stab (the smallest must go 6-7 lb anyhow) They loose interest in the shallower pond and the cheaper goldfish once numbers drop and it has some colour anyhow

I had one that was on my roof every day after my koi some worth £1000+ each but they were to big for him to take but he had ago at a number of them marking them he even got one out onto the grass but it was to big for him to pick up but he marked it. one day I found him in my wheel bin I dont no how he got there :whistling::whistling:

may be he was after some rats like in the link above and ran out of air with the lid shut .

Well that wasn't such a quick kill! If they do that they are welcome at my Koi pond, the water is deep enough at the edge to protect the fish in the main from the instinctive stab (the smallest must go 6-7 lb anyhow) They loose interest in the shallower pond and the cheaper goldfish once numbers drop and it has some colour anyhow

Well lets all pop round to Kents place.......we can sit having a beer, whilst someone times him killing a rat with only some water and his mouth :lol::lol: