what to take camping ?

raphael262

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And a baseball bat (joke) as you don't know whose about lol

You might want some company in your tent.

But it might be the wrong type of company lol

You wat to watch the hills have eyes the night before you go lol

Ear plugs,coz all you hear all night is snoring,zips going up and down and flip flol flip flop all sodding night.Top tip if caravaning,when you turn out take a old loaf of bread and on the way back from the pub,hoy a slice on top of all the other caravans aroung yours.This way yoh wont have the crows doing riverdance on your van at stupid o'clock.

Beer and a knife.

Good call - Beer to drown your sorrows at the reality of camping and a knife to slit your throat if the beer does not alleviate the pain....

If you forget a bottle opener, then you just need to take the knife and go for the fast track option!

If you are planning a camp fire, bring a yogurt pot. Eat the yogurt and put a little meths (from the trangia) in the bottom (a half inch or so). Light it. It acts as a great firelighter - although not strictly boy scout.

It saved me from a midge filled evening manys a time.

Have you considered sleeping under a tarp instead of a tent? I prefer it to a tent when in company as you can set it up so you can see around you, or make it up like a tent if you want it sealed up. With a tarp you will need about a dozen tent pegs and several decent lengths or para cord. Other than that, kit wise I'd take...

Roll mat

Sleeping bag

Camp stove (if no fires allowed)

Cooking pot and knife/fork/spoon

Scouring pad

Water container

Knife (a proper one)

Lighter

Small candle lantern and a decent torch with spare batteries (I prefer a head torch)

Spare clothes in a waterproof bag in case you get wet.

Soap

Cash

If not on a camp site...

Folding shovel

Loo roll

Camp axe

Folding saw

Second water container (collect in this and boil before putting it in your drinking bottle)

You should get all of that in/on a decent sized rucksack and be able to carry it in if needed. Dried food is good if you can't buy it nearby and you're not at high altitude, but if you can it's easier to buy it day to day rather than carry loads of it. If you have to carry it miles and want to get drunk, buy a couple of bottles of 95% polish spirit. It can be watered down so isn't hard to carry and is also great for lighting fires if you're stuck!

I go night fishing a lot and I just take my roamer dome (£35 s/h), bedchair and sleeping bag if for more than one night (sleeping bag and a mat is usually enough), gas stove (£10), about 3l of water, a frying pan, lots of bacon, eggs, bread, milk and things like pot noodles and porridge. Also bring toilet paper, disposable cutlery, plates, utensils. Torches are pretty helpful, bring batteries too, and the number for dominoes is a godsend when supplies run low!

Have you considered sleeping under a tarp instead of a tent? I prefer it to a tent when in company as you can set it up so you can see around you, or make it up like a tent if you want it sealed up. With a tarp you will need about a dozen tent pegs and several decent lengths or para cord. Other than that, kit wise I'd take...

Roll mat

Sleeping bag

Camp stove (if no fires allowed)

Cooking pot and knife/fork/spoon

Scouring pad

Water container

Knife (a proper one)

Lighter

Small candle lantern and a decent torch with spare batteries (I prefer a head torch)

Spare clothes in a waterproof bag in case you get wet.

Soap

Cash

If not on a camp site...

Folding shovel

Loo roll

Camp axe

Folding saw

Second water container (collect in this and boil before putting it in your drinking bottle)

You should get all of that in/on a decent sized rucksack and be able to carry it in if needed. Dried food is good if you can't buy it nearby and you're not at high altitude, but if you can it's easier to buy it day to day rather than carry loads of it. If you have to carry it miles and want to get drunk, buy a couple of bottles of 95% polish spirit. It can be watered down so isn't hard to carry and is also great for lighting fires if you're stuck!

and an articulated lorry to put it all in!

bucket barbeque is your friend!

They may be cheap, small and appear flimsy but they are surprisingly robust and efficient.

Good point, it will also avoid those awkward brokeback mountain moments.

It won't avoid them, just makes them harder to escape when they come into your tent.