Stoat

bornfree

I was working in the workshop this morning and at about 11am i heard a loud squealing sound.looked out of the open door and a stoat and a large rat were rolling around about 20 yards away.The rat put up a good fight of about 30 seconds before the stoat killed it and dragged it off. i've never seen this before.

I have yet to see it with a rat, see it most years with rabbits. The rabbit doesn't give in or become hypnotised IMO it just uses the only escape chance it has which is sit still and not move ( I have seen this deployed to good effect and also seen times it fails). The stoat will chase it without end above or below ground, so the rabbit looks for an area of dead scent and sits in it. They normally leave the slain a while before removing them, not sure why perhaps its to recover their energy?

You have to hand it to the stoat for courage and determination its second to none, if they weighed in at 20lb they might hunt us

I few photos i took with my phone of a Stoat V Rat fight i saw a couple of years back. I was looking over a wall in our lane. I love Stoats one of my favorite animals. We see quite a few around my place, the most at once was 5 hunting one of our banks, i guess a mum, dad and 3 young.

rat2.jpg

rat1.jpg

rat3.jpg

Superb stuff! Have never seen a stoat on a rat but just yesterday one ran straight across the road in front of me with either a mouse or shrew in its mouth.

Quite a few years ago I was sitting in my van at the Fell bottom having a bite when I noticed in my wing mirror a rabbit sitting on the clients lawn, just seemingly staring into space. When I wound down the window and looked behind me I spotted a stoat prancing and dancing about two yards in front of the rabbit. The rabbit made no attempt to run and as I watched the stoat danced behind it, and then leapt on the rabbit. There was a squeal and the rabbit shook off the stoat but again made no attempt to run away. The stoat began bouncing about again while the rabbit just watched and when it was close enough, again pounced on the rabbit, but this time killed it and then just ran off. About five minutes later the stoat reappeared and dragged the rabbit, many times the size of the stoat, across the lawn and into some shrubbery.

I was astounded; had never seen this before, apart from on the telly, and have never seen it again since. Fabulous.

Mustelids are beautiful but deadly. One of my favourite creatures. Would love to have witnessed the stoat v rat fight.

Seen a couple on backs of rabbits over the years, alerted to squeals . My mates female Goshawk chased one into a rabbit hole, missing it by inches, so we dropped a ferret down the hole hoping to get another flight, when their was a almighty screeching. The ferret came out of the earth backwards, with its hair standing on end absolutely terrified. That ferret would not go down an earth for the rest of the day!! You think Wolverines are tough imagine a stoat or weasel the size of badger! I wouldn't leave the house!

Had two run towards me jumping & playing with each other when i was shooting over my fishing lake had me 410 with me they did not see me till they were only 5ft from me & darted in to a little stream great to watch thought about having a shot at them but would rather watch em play.