Given the runaround

grasshopper

Been after a young Buck for a few weeks now.Sat out a for him 1 evening,only to bump him on dusk as i was making my way back.Had a "Mexican stand off" for about 2 minutes at 30yds..unfortunately he was

sky-lined,so no point even trying to mount the rifle.As he ran off barking i made my way up the hill

and into the field,hoping he would appear...he duly did but didn't stop. :no:

My next attempt saw me climbing the hill again to see fresh scrapes and slots.Glassing the field i

pick up the back of a Roe :w00t: .This time though it was young Doe. :rolleyes:

So yesterday afternoon i thought i would walk the area and do some reconnaissance

The field edges had signs of a lot of activity,with the possibility of Fox cubs judging by the runs

in the long grass...oh and this.

20140529_134213.jpg

So evening came and after a brief chat with the farmer,i drove the edges of the field at 8 20pm

with the intention of parking in front of some Thick Holly Trees which are the highest point of

this particular field.

After stalking i would sit out with the NV in comfort to see what was making the runs.( below here were Fox & Badger earths)

Just as i reached the high point,and seeing nothing on my 5 minute journey,low & behold there was

a Roe out,some 150yds away.Glassing confirmed a young 4point Buck and the stalk was on. :drool:

Gently rolled the Jimny back a ways to get out of sight and tackled up.

By now he had wandered further off and was around the corner,so i simply headed into the dip where all of the runs where in with the plan of getting to the corner for a shot...yeah right...he appeared

as i was half way there. :oops: Luckily he headed into the middle of the field and out of sight.I got over

the fence into the wood,with the intention of reaching the brow,thus enabling a shot.

Once there,i saw he had wandered further,and was now just above where i had been 10mins earlier

So back i go and he heads down into the dip.Great i thought,picked out a large tree to shoot from,

and started back.Just as i got to it & got the rifle onto the sticks,he dropped right into the

fenceline some 45yds away with no shot. :/

Didn't see him for a while,so unsure whether he'd entered the wood or was still in the field.Very

slowly,i moved off and quickly heard movement below me...rumbled i thought,but it was 2 Badger cubs

play fighting not 20yds from me.Explains the runs possibly.

The buck was now on the top of the dip not 30yds from my motor..

Should have just stayed put :lol: ..and only 50yds from me,but,skylined again.Young badgers where making quite a racket which kept him looking my way,but seemed to calm him to any other disturbance.

Watched him for a while until he moved off so i crossed back into the field and moved up the fencline

to see him past the motor following the fence along.He was covering some distance now which allowed

me to get back to the Jimny,mount the rifle onto the sticks and rest my elbow on the spare wheel.

Watched him through the binoculars for a little as he was behind some long grass until he moved

out into the field.Finally a shot, :good: he stopped broadside at about 160yds so x onto his chest,gentle

squeeze and he fell backwards,quick reload but he didn't rise. :yahoo:

SS100729.jpg

An enjoyable stalk if frustrating at times,which lasted about an hour,but,i did smile each time i was usurped.

Took a quick picture as the Midges started biting,so gralloch done and straight back the farm

for coffee and cake..farmers wife had won the local agricultural show on Monday so help needed

eating the entries. :whistling::D

• 2 weeks later...