Rimfire Rifle Length

dadrew

Whats the rought length of a rimfire please (I know they come in different barrel lengths, so worst case scenario) I have recently applied for my FAC. My shotgun cabinet only holds two guns and is full so Im looking at one hold 4 guns and selling my other but want to make sure I get one that will hold a rifle.

I have Anchutz .22 rimmi with 16" barrel. All the powder is burnt before the bullet leaves the barrel in anything longer than 16" so the bullet is starting to slow down before it exits, only advantage in longer barrel length is heavier gun hence more stable to shoot and will generally give you tighter groups at longer ranges, ok for paper punching but when vermin shooting you need all the clout you can get. :good:

Yeah I understand that, Im not particulary after a longer barrel, I just want to know the overall length of a gun (with moderator) to make sure the cabinet that I get is big enough, But I know they come in different lengths so Im looking for worst case scenario (not including a punt gun!)

I don't know if this will help but my Anschutz 525 (As shown in the attached photo) has a 16 inch barrel (The same as Mag357s rifle) and I find that when fitted with my Sirroco SM11 moderator it is quite accurate and very "handlable". The overall length of my rifle when fitted with the moderator os 41 inches or if you want to go metric it is 105CM.

post-17172-0-38329500-1402045767_thumb.jpg

As far as fitting it in the cabinet goes, it's depth that matters for rifles, not height. Also, if you store your rifle butt down with a mod fitted, all the **** from the mod will drop down the barrel risking damage to the rifling from corrosion and also it'll get into the breech area. You should remove your mod before storing your rifle.

+1, as last poster has stated, removing mod before you store wil stop damage to the barrel and firing mechanism also shortens the lentgh of the rifle. Its always better to buy a bigger cabinet than you actually need as for one theres more room in there for more guns in the future

2 rimmie lengths for you WITHOUT mods but with bipods (as they are a bit longer than the end of the barrel when fitted).

Weihrauch HW66J with 18.5" barrel is 96cm

Remington 597 synthetic with 16" barrel is 90 cm

cheers

As far as fitting it in the cabinet goes, it's depth that matters for rifles, not height. Also, if you store your rifle butt down with a mod fitted, all the **** from the mod will drop down the barrel risking damage to the rifling from corrosion and also it'll get into the breech area. You should remove your mod before storing your rifle.

Yes quite right - don't forget cabinet depth (front to back) for your scope!!!!

Edited by LeadWasp

To answer that you need to think about what size of scope and mounts you are think of putting on the rifle! If you want to err on the safe side maybe the one which is 10.5 inches deep would be the better option - I would rather have a litle too much room than not quite enough.

The easiest thing in the world to do is buy twice. Assuming you would like to have some support for whatever end of the rifle is uppermost as opposed to resting it on the scope, then more is better. I have a 131/2" one by BOXX and it takes everything including a NV (N550) scope.

Do not forget you will have a mod as well so take the length of the mod into account. The SAK mods are not that long but some other are a lot longer. I need a 52 inch long gun case to fit mine in as the standard is just too short.... nothing worse then having to take the mod off every time .......

Just buy the biggest cabinet you have space (funds) for. Even if you don't fill it the larger opening will reduce the chance of you bashing up your scope or woodwork.

I have a 6 gun cabinet, 1 scoped rifle, 1 shotgun and a second rifle on order. I need an over and under sporter again and still have 2 open slots on my FAC to fill. I will have filled my big new safe I bought last christmas by the end of this year.

+1 for above. I have a 7 gun cabinet which is deep to accomodate scopes on rifles external dimensions 59 inches high x 16 inches wide x 14 inches deep. It has a seperate lockable internal ammo box as well. With rimfires some of the older ones have quite long barrels by modern standards so measure twice buy once.