Brancaster

scolopax

DNT ,Quote "Still it's easy to blame us for most things, trailblazers always cop it.” So what trail is your club intending to blasé I wonder. Complete control of wildfowling in Eastern England perhaps? Most wildfowling clubs are on the look out for new wildfowling grounds , be big difference between your club and other clubs they keep within their geographical area and you have no thought of your actions have on wildfowling in the area. For now you have it in some areas , but as consents come up for renewal and leases have to be renewed , then the detrimental effect on wildfowling in the area your club is having will start comeing into effect. Already we are starting to see that effect on your own ground at Thornham and Brancaster as shooting days are being reduced and you have opened a can of worms as other groups of wildfowlers understand they can muscle into the grounds of traditional wildfowling clubs.

You and your chairman keep raising phrases like smell the Coffee and wake up to the real world. Your real world may be true in Kent but was not true in Norfolk untill you arrived. A balance had been struck between wildfowling and conservation which had worked for some time and showed every promise for the future , that was until your club for some unknown reason decided wildfowling needed a kick up the **** and upset the apple cart. We even had NE saying they were very happy with the level of wildfowling over most of the coast. They are not saying that now your club has come into the area.

The benefit of your club grabbing shooting land in the area is restricted to your members and is to the detriment of other wildfowlers in the area so to say you are going to shake up the wildfowling in the area is true , but to the disadvantage for the majority of wildfowlers in the area. You are creating a situation between wildfowlers where dog eats dog were the highest bidder wins out is that the real world you and your club wish to create.

Edited by anser2

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't and applaude your club for that. still believe this one was a step to far. If other clubs follow your trailblazing into branster I can see no good coming from it.

At least two other clubs are now looking at buying rights Terry, no doubt taking the view if it's good enough for kent it's good enough for us, so now add more people to the site, as you say a step to far this time, generally I have always congratulated Kent on their land purchases, however the back door tactics used at Brancaster have certainly made me think again with my views they are a forward thinking club, to one where they are a greedy underhand club who would force themselves on to any Wildfowling site, irrespective of the consequences an who it affects.

The difference is Old farrier is if one individual buys the shooting , he is just a single fowler who is unlikely to upset the status quo. At best he is likely to only be able shoot once a week and more proably only a handful of times a season. When a club buys the rights its going to excerise those rights for its membership. Even if they restrict the number of members its going to greatly increase the amount of shooting carried out at present. This will not only reduce the quality of shooting in the area , but will also ring alarm bells with the conservation managers of the marsh who will consider reducing the number of shooting days or reduce the shooting area or worse. .

Edited by anser2

At least two other clubs are now looking at buying rights Terry, no doubt taking the view if it's good enough for kent it's good enough for us, so now add more people to the site, as you say a step to far this time, generally I have always congratulated Kent on their land purchases, however the back door tactics used at Brancaster have certainly made me think again with my views they are a forward thinking club, to one where they are a greedy underhand club who would force themselves on to any Wildfowling site, irrespective of the consequences an who it affects.

I find it a little strange to hear you and others say in earlier posts the best of it has been over for some time and the jobs finished now, and then go on about us or any other club wishing to buy a Common Right or share of it. When you look at the list of Commoners and the fact that years ago there were lots of Commoners all over the Country on the ground trying to scrape a living. CL65 is a very big area stretching for some distance, with the forward thinking approach of clubs like us and the modest expectations of most fowlers these days compared to the days of the professional, do you really believe we will make any difference to the situation along with anybody else coming on board. Then you say you have changed your opinion of us because we made a business decision to purchase

the 1/4 right In the name of our conservation company. This was not a state secret as could be seen by the number of people commenting and yes objecting. Business decisions are made on the basis of what best suits the business at the time. This is why KWCA is so successful, because we have and I've said this before, some very professional people making the decisions. I know some people believe that there is no place for business in the wildfowling world, but I'm afraid when most organisations are operating on that basis you must at the very least sharpen up your act. You can make all the comments you like about our strategy, but we will continue to acquire shooting for the many and not a selected few without I hope upsetting too many people.

DNT, you keep banging on about the business, what best for the business, it was a business decision. Can you explain to me what the business is. Is it to simply get as much shooting for your club as possible. If you cannot see how your business decision to buy a quarter share may impinge on the quality of wildfowling on Brancaster then I worry about your future decisions.

You are not acquiring land for the many just your 500 or so members.

I do not care what county you buy land in and do not for one minute believe in this you should keep local marsh for locals tosh but if a clubs bull in a china shop approach impacts on the fowling and could increase greatly the amount of fowlers on a already well controlled marsh, then you should think and think again about what it is you are trying to achieve.

You are starting to sound like some manic zealot determined to open up every marsh to every fowler no matter the consequences. Good luck with you future perchases but I hope they are areas that were under threat or new areas to shoot.

Can someone give me a quick insight into how we might best describe the term "local" as it is frequently and confusingly bandied about in these discussions,please?

Is this a proposed definition that operates on fixed geographic distances or what?

Many thanks.

historically the locals of Brancaster, the Burnhams and those living close by. Now because it suits them people are claiming they are local, but under the historical definition they are nothing of the sort. In an earlier post I gave a breakdown of where people live in the Country who own Common Rights. It's worth a look. I think your find that over the years some ( not all) have found some very good shooting, via friends or who knows how and have purchased Rights to give them access. Nothing wrong with that particularly until they and their associates in some cases form little syndicates (sorry clubs) and exclude everyone else. Then when an opportunity comes along for an inclusive club like ours to obtain some shooting for anyone who wishes to join us, all of a sudden it's wrong and we are damaging the future of wildfowling. Well I for one don't care what people call me or the club, I have a clear conscience because I along with my colleagues are working for a vision of the future for all. I apologise for ambushing your question to make some points to other posts, but a few things need putting straight. You will see we have been attacked and insulted on many occasions, accused of greed and upsetting the balance. On the contrary, and although it was not our intention when we made the purchase we are pleased to be putting some balance where it has been sadly lacking for far too long.

How can I keep up with something that is clearly lost on me. If we keep this up for long enough do you think everyone will lose interest in the thread, and we can all get back to wildfowling.

One week tomorrow, have a good season, who's ever marsh your shooting.................Sorry I couldn't :)

A little gentle banter is good for the soul, I know being a visionary manic zealot business man who is apparently about to disappear some where very unpleasant. Just remember, never forget who the real enemy are. There I go again dreams, visions or paranoia. My wife did say I used to be conceited, now I'm just perfect.

I so wish there was a like button on topics . there is so many thing's on this thread .. Gentlemen can we keep it on track .. And keep the school yard antics . for play time ..

And Don't forget silly season is almost over 🙌 and we can all go back to our love ..

Then perhaps there will be something decent to read about on the wildfowling section..

Remember guys play nice 😁 ..

Edited by washwildfowler

DNT

Quote “This is why KWCA is so successful, because we have and I've said this before, some very professional people making the decisions. I know some people believe that there is no place for business in the wildfowling world, but I'm afraid when most organisations are operating on that basis you must at the very least sharpen up your act. You can make all the comments you like about our strategy, but we will continue to acquire shooting for the many and not a selected few without I hope upsetting too many people.”

Come on be honest you are not acquiring wildfowling for the many, you are acquiring wildfowling for your club ( or large syndicate ).

Business methods in wildfowling certainly is not the way forward as area as local feeling and community is much stronger as you found when your club made overtures to the landowner of one of my clubs grounds. And the underhand way your club is using the Wide Spaces fund to redirect donations from conservation to buying shooting rights clearly shows the busness ethics your club has.

And as for not upsetting too many people you have not made a very good job of that ether. I doubt if you could find a handful of Norfolk wildfowlers who support your policy of expandingyour empire.

Quote “Nothing wrong with that particularly until they and their associates in some cases form little syndicates (sorry clubs) and exclude everyone else.”

No evidence of that happening at Brancaster !

Quote “On the contrary, and although it was not our intention when we made the purchase we are pleased to be putting some balance where it has been sadly lacking for far too long.”

It may not have been your intention but any fool can see that would be the result of your actions.

Quote “Just remember, never forget who the real enemy are.

We are getting a clear picture who the new emerging enemy is now.

It is becoming more and more clear with every post you write DNT that you are going to continuing this selfish greedy policy of expanding your club no matter what effect it has on the wildfowling on the area or the opinions of wildfowlers other than your members. So every self-respecting wildfowler in the country BEWARE KENT WA COMING TO A MARSH NEAR YOU!

Maybe not today, not tomorrow, but some day and not that far

Edited by anser2

How can I keep up with something that is clearly lost on me. If we keep this up for long enough do you think everyone will lose interest in the thread, and we can all get back to wildfowling.

One week tomorrow, have a good season, who's ever marsh your shooting.................Sorry I couldn't :)

And the very best of British to you Sir, likewise!