Dumbfounded by the Rebekah Brooks verdict.

aris

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think with something like this it really matters who your connections are, so long as you have 'plausible deniability' it's very hard to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt as required by law - so long as you are kept in the dark from the gory details you can plead you didn't know where the information was obtained... Politicians do it all the time

Not quite so simple. The hacker had inside info on how to bypass the voicemail codes even if they were changed by the owners. They did this calling customer service and using a codeword which remarkably allowed someone to do this over the phone!

Do you have a reference for this?

Nial

Then I only hope that should you go to trial, you don't mention this to the jury. They were the ones that passed the not guilty verdict.

Whilst I agree that much in court is about what people believe, ultimately it's the jury that makes the decision.

Lawyers and salespeople are pretty much the same, we both try to convince people about our story.....

The jury does lend a veneer of credibility, until you realize that someone could have asked the prosecution to present a less than robust case.

The jury does lend a veneer of credibility, until you realize that someone could have asked the prosecution to present a less than robust case.

Eh? That makes no sense at all.

If 'someone' was going to bother to ask the prosecution that, why not just ask the old bill to lose some evidence or for the charges to be dropped somewhere along the line.

If 'someone' was going to bother to ask the prosecution that, why not just ask the old bill to lose some evidence or for the charges to be dropped somewhere along the line.

Perhaps someone wanted her to go through a trial.

Perhaps, given the relationship some politicians have with the police right now, and supposing that senior police officers might be trying to flex their muscles, "someone" might feel more comfortable having a cosy chat with the prosecution instead.

Or maybe not. Who knows.

Crikey you lot have a pretty high opinion of yourselves :yes: bunch of closet chauvinists.... Why on earth would you think a fine looking woman would want your infectious body parts anywhere near her. ?

Personally I don't see she has got away with anything... other than acquittal by a jury of the finest and most equitable legal system in the world. Her Husband was right, it was nothing more than a witch hunt.

Talk about Kangaroo Courts. I suppose that is what PW is famous for. Unless someone was in Court for the eight months of the trial, or they have read the whole transcript of the proceedings, how could they possibly pronounce that Rebeka Brooks was anything other than innocent?

Crikey you lot have a pretty high opinion of yourselves :yes: bunch of closet chauvinists.... Why on earth would you think a fine looking woman would want your infectious body parts anywhere near her. ?

Personally I don't see she has got away with anything... other than acquittal by a jury of the finest and most equitable legal system in the world. Her Husband was right, it was nothing more than a witch hunt.

Sensible post, quite why anyone would even bring up the subject of whether you would or not is bizarre to say the least. She and her husband were acquitted, why the conspiracy theories ? She may just have got away with it due to the technicality of not having done anything wrong.

Sensible post, quite why anyone would even bring up the subject of whether you would or not is bizarre to say the least. She and her husband were acquitted, why the conspiracy theories ? She may just have got away with it due to the technicality of not having done anything wrong.

I don't buy that. Turning a blind eye and not asking questions makes you just as culpable as the guy who did the deeds on your behalf. Not asking pertinent questions should not exonerate you. As editor she would have been very aware that publishing false information could bring down her newspaper. At the end of the day she is the one who says 'publish it' - and her neck was on the line if it was wrong. You would think she might ask how they knew this info was correct.

Newspapers have and always will be full of incorrect information, much of it is deliberately deceitful. She's no saint, nobody gets to those sorts of heights by holding doors open for other people but she was found not guilty of what she had been accused of.