Any Rock Climbers or Trained Working at Heights People?

Billy.

I've got a job coming up soon where I'll basically be filming on a cliff edge. I used to do a lot of rock climbing and still have plenty of equipment, but I never experienced setting up a safety rope.

Can anyone advise me on what best practice is. I'll have boulders to lash a rope around, but I'm not entirely sure on the best way to set up the lines.

I will be working with a camera op, so something to keep us both safe.

Thanks. I couldn't remember the wording, which is probably why I couldn't find anything.

I climb, if you can get a top rope secure that'll be the right way, use two anchors with a tape and crab on each. Up to you whether you ab down or climb the one pitch, but make sure your anchors allow free rope movement, tapes over the crag edge is best. Otherwise you'll be stuck once the rope is under load!

Bear in mind if you absail down, you need to secure yourself with your figure of 8, how long are you hoping on staying elevated?

If you have a belayer, they can take the strain and let you down with more control if you've arm loads of kit.

Edited by kyska

As I understand it your near an edge not over it? Beware that a climbing harness is not the same as a fall prevention harness which we use when working on roofs or mewp baskets (except if mewp is over a body of water) have you done a method statement and risk assement of the job/task? Will your insurance cover you? Many wont for working at height. If we need to do climbing work on ropes we call in the pros at £700 a day+ as the certification and testing costs a fortune let alone the training the last guy we used was an instructor as that's the only way he could log enough hours working on the mainland.

Yes. The rope will never actually be used for climbing, it's entirely to ensure neither of us step off the cliff edge.

As it was said before, do not use a climbing harness, if you or your guy falls over you might find yourself upside down. A double 8 knot is more than you will ever need to secure the top rope, and beware of sharp edges!

As I understand it your near an edge not over it? Beware that a climbing harness is not the same as a fall prevention harness which we use when working on roofs or mewp baskets (except if mewp is over a body of water) have you done a method statement and risk assement of the job/task? Will your insurance cover you? Many wont for working at height. If we need to do climbing work on ropes we call in the pros at £700 a day+ as the certification and testing costs a fortune let alone the training the last guy we used was an instructor as that's the only way he could log enough hours working on the mainland.

Bang on the money,

Atb

Flynny

This is what you need http://www.slingsby.com/Safety-Security652/PPE-workwear606/Fall-arrest610/Fall-arrest-harnesses--Lightweight-harness_316190.htm?gclid=CIPbjufTqb8CFWf4wgodoiEAOg normaly with a safety line parallel to the edge which prevent you going over, these are normalyl steel wire and tensioned for the task.

http://www.jsp.co.uk/products/working-at-height is quite helpful,dont foget a rescue plan (is their mobile coverage, what about adverse weather, could you direct emergency services to the site by OS grid ref)

This is the stuff we normally work with which is preinstalled and tested/inspected http://www.fallprotectionsolutions.co.uk/roof-cable.php

Not a lot of help but HSE are pretty tight on these sort of things.

Edited by HDAV

I am working on the edge, I'm not climbing it or abseiling down.

Essentially I'm taking a gondola to the top of a mountain and filming a group of BASE jumpers doing their stuff. So once finished, I'll pack up and take the sensible route back down.

Assume this isn't in the UK then?

A safety harness and lanyard set to limit your movement would work unless you want to lean over? then you need more.........

It's the Dolomites in Italy. Believe it or not, yeah, I will probably need to lean over the edge...! My camera operator doesn't though, so at least I can stick him on a shorter leash!

not being funny but I'd book a course

Industrial rope acsess is a 5 day course or was a few years ago.

We did a lot of climbing when young and dumb ;)

Setting up a top rope is easy in reality best to use the oval karabireners for caving they have a better ratio and can be locked off with a spanner. If split anchories are used remember to keep the angle sharp to retain strength.

If I needed to come onto a shooting forum for this advice, I would turn the job down! Good luck and lets hope we dont read about you ;-)

Thats the best advice yet!!

Would be a slightly different matter if u were just on top and wanted some extra safety incase u slipped. But to be actually leaning over is a very different story.

Dunno if ur being paid or not (althou shouldn't realy matter) in ur shoes would be insisting on a professional trained safety person setting up a safe system, using ropes and harnesses that are ticketed/LOLLER'd

U will need a full body harness probably with u hooked in on the back, not sure how u alter ur work position using that sort of system or else u will ned a belay who u trust with ur life.

U are relying !00% on ur equipment and set up or else u'll be base jumping urself without a chute.

I have done similar stuff cuting trees of steep embankments but always going down backwards if that steep, but the biggest thing is i have been trained and know wot my abilities/limitations are.

Take a fair pair of balls to hang face first of a cliff face putting ur life in someone elses hands (even more so if they have only read how to do it on the net)

Just don't take chances

I am working on the edge, I'm not climbing it or abseiling down.

Essentially I'm taking a gondola to the top of a mountain and filming a group of BASE jumpers doing their stuff. So once finished, I'll pack up and take the sensible route back down.

Billy

when you say 'working', is this for an employer or just an activity you are undertaking by yourself? It makes a difference with what is legally required.

Does seem a bit extreme for a recruitment consultant

I quit that job a year ago. Couldn't stand that industry.

If I needed to come onto a shooting forum for this advice, I would turn the job down! Good luck and lets hope we dont read about you ;-)

Whilst I understand what you mean, the forum generally has a good mix of workers who cover a multitude of industries. It's easier to get advice here than to sign up to a climbing forum and get shot down for being a noob/troll poster.