4 weeks!!!!!!!!

strangford  wildfowler

im always hot so knew not to buy neoprene... i ordered waders made for fat people from cabelas and really cocked up buying them as i didnt realise they where neoprene, must have been excited to find fat boy waders. even on the coldest days last year when we sat with frost on the barrels i sweated my you know what off walking in... only way im gona wear them this year is if its well below zero

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are after chesties, have a look at the Ocean/Vass range.

im always hot so knew not to buy neoprene... i ordered waders made for fat people from cabelas and really cocked up buying them as i didnt realise they where neoprene, must have been excited to find fat boy waders. even on the coldest days last year when we sat with frost on the barrels i sweated my you know what off walking in... only way im gona wear them this year is if its well below zero

Hi anser2, should of mentioned I got grey and pink callers from eddie Nixon, and triple threat duck call. Been looking at decoy reviews on here, was thinking of ghg or sports plast for duck(any opinions on which welcomed) and was going to get some sillosocks for pinks. I'm based up in cumbria and will be joining the Furness wildfowler a, .....can't wait

Hi,

I am not so sure its worth you buying any goose decoys, they are of limited use in your part of the world and the saltmarsh in general (get under the flight line never mind trying to get them in to land, they are on the marsh to roost not feed as a genralisation). I assume you will be accompanied in the first season, just get what your mentors suggest. I know some very successful wildfowlers who carry no more than 6 tatty old floating duck and the same in home made silhouettes. Do you have a lot of Pinks there? as I shoot South Cumbria also and its all generally passing through birds and Greylag I see until you get South of the Lune. Pinks like to be near good arable land spuds, stubble and the like.

My own carry bag contents is out getting a wash from God now being hung up in the wind and heavy rain, the content is 4 Widgeon, 3 Mallard (I will swap out all the drakes for girls until the moult is complete) and I keep about 6-8 ply silhouettes to put up the banks of gullies and the grassy margins of flashes.

I have a shed full of various decoys but mostly I just swap about, Ducks I tend to stay quiet on early season at main flight times but will call to lost birds looking for their bearings and a safe place to roost, don't practice calling on the marsh spend the hours outdoors now

Its tempting to spend like mad in your first season on things you don't need

Edited by kent

Hi kent,thanks for reply I was going out last season after Xmas with mates, and there were quite a lot of pink about, we had them come into decoys a few times, only used a few and the lads were calling as well, they used fuds and half bodies.". I was thinking of silos to add a bit of movement as and when... As for calls I think I'm starting to do everyone's head in now, it isn't just me doing it, the kids are on them as well haha

Hi kent,thanks for reply I was going out last season after Xmas with mates, and there were quite a lot of pink about, we had them come into decoys a few times, only used a few and the lads were calling as well, they used fuds and half bodies.". I was thinking of silos to add a bit of movement as and when... As for calls I think I'm starting to do everyone's head in now, it isn't just me doing it, the kids are on them as well haha

What do you call a lot? If your near the roost they will come in anyhow (though its not the best idea as regards conservation or further shooting). I do my tune up time in the garden as just one Honk or quack meets a chorus of "shut -up!" from all the rest of the house :rolleyes:

I know how that goes, my Mrs does her nut when i start with the calls - it's the wigeon call that really gets her going!! Took my lad for a long walk on one of the marshes on dusk last night and he has been practicing with the Mallard call, he managed to turn his 1st bird last night and had it 20 yards up straight over us, roll on the 1st!

Eddie nixon pinkfoot/greylag

Zink power clucker canada

Haydels dr85 mallard

Brass wigeon whistle

Thats what I use and have good results but different people use different calls each to there own and all that hopes this helps

I don't use the Eddie Nixon, but I use all of the others you've listed. They seem to work for me.

sounds daft but ive found a mallard call works for wigeon...probably get torn to shreds for saying that.......

If mallard are on the flash it must be safe right? The Whistle is so much easier BUT remember Widgeon wont be calling to each other in September

Hi guys, can I please ask as a newbie, what calls would you recommend for a novic coming into the sport, regards hh

Being frank just practice off the marsh in sept. The only exception is if you have resident geese as the young especially are suckers for anything resembling a call if they are separated from their buddies. Many duck don't call early doors.

What calls? depends on what lives there about . A brass widgeon call (the one like a sort of trumpet all soldered up) or two 12 ga end caps is worth a lot when they start to whistle to each other (about 2 mins of practice and most can do it great), A std Mallard call (for a three or four note call) and Goose calls for what you have there. I don't believe in brand over blower, many can call just great by voice alone, though I can do only a few quacks and a fair stab at a pinkfoot by voice

There is nothing worse than being on the Marsh and having somebody calling non stop. I have been unfortunate enough to share a flight with somebody that called solid for the whole flight whether there was anything to call at or not!

****!! I wonder if that's the same one that came out with me?

ONCE!! lol

Edited by Reabrook