Are we (shooters) being robbed with clothing etc?

markm

Had the kids out shopping for the new school year today. Everything from shoes to pencils seem to be a decent price. Even HQ trainers/football boots seem ok for the money and TBH are cheaper today than they were when I was at school.

I also bought some new work gear, M&S quality stuff, not the budget range are very well finished, had a good browse around a large store.

Shooting stuff- made in the Middle East, but stupidly expensive, just look at a pair of boots from le chem, clothing from musto, barbour etc.

All we hear is the prices are going up because of the euro, really?

I get the popularity of shooting, but surely cricket, hockey etc can't be as popular?

Even fishing seems quiet reasonable these days.

Is it about time sports direct started selling country / shooting wear.

I have some gear from all the price ranges and Sherwood Forest tweeds are a good a buy as any and a fraction of the cost. Won't cry if it gets caught on barbed wire.

My musto clay vest has come apart at the seams where the pockets are riveted for strength the material has come away next to it at the zip on one side.

The waterproof clay shooting jacket is waterproof but you sweat so much you may aswell not bother wearing it.

Jack Pyke dog vest very good quality.

Got a couple of Dickies jackets in a sale, look smart fully waterproof lined with tartan cloth, smart enough for a Driven Day.

Barbour shirt, looks lovely on the hangar,after wearing for ten minutes looks like it's never seen an iron.

The Americans have got it better than we have, good quality at a good price.

But while we still buy it, they will keep charging us silly money.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

The market is much smaller than the high street players but the main reason is that they're selling to a captive market. They know very well that nobody is going to buy a Debenhams jacket to go game shooting in. Companies will charge what the market will bear, Barbour for instance have a humongous global market so it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that their manufacturing costs benefit from economies of scale yet they are amongst the most expensive.

There is a clear and inexplicable price difference from the 'top end' brands to say Dickies - I too have both but the better quality evident in some Musto, Barbour, other stuff is not justifed by the price differential. What we perhaps need is an importer who would take this to heart as they would probably clean up. It is though a small market and like importing guns from the USA making money, lots and quickly, comes before selling reasonable quality goods to a minority.

Be interesting to know the size of the market - could be a nice little internet business.

There is a clear and inexplicable price difference from the 'top end' brands to say Dickies - I too have both but the better quality evident in some Musto, Barbour, other stuff is not justifed by the price differential. What we perhaps need is an importer who would take this to heart as they would probably clean up. It is though a small market and like importing guns from the USA making money, lots and quickly, comes before selling reasonable quality goods to a minority.

Be interesting to know the size of the market - could be a nice little internet business.

Which brands do you suggest someone imports? I recall that there was a landmark case some years ago with Levi Strauss where they managed to ban the parallel/grey imports of their jeans for sale in the UK so importing brands already represented here might not work.

As for being ripped off - you can say that for any fashion item. If you don't like it, don't pay. Shooting attire isn't a necessity to go out and shoot, it is a fashion. Sure we like good quality clothing - in the right colours, made of suitable fabrics for the purpose - there is actually a fair bit of choice in a big price range. If you want a branded item though, you're going to pay.

Have a look at Countrywide Farmers - http://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk - they have both utilitarian brands, and fashion brands of outdoor clothing.

Not shooting attire, but I buy my Levi's in the US as I tend to go there once a year for work. £60 here, or $45 in the US. Bit of a no-brainer. To add insult to injury I get a better selection of styles colours and the exact inseam length I require - which for some odd reason isn't sold in the UK.

A top of the range beretta semi auto 10 years ago - £700

A top of the range beretta semi auto today £1700

Guitars, golf clubs, top end fishing rods, electronics etc have either gone up with inflation or in the case of electronics have come down in price.

It is a market economy, and often led by a label, and yes, there is good margin in a lot of clothing.

I don't give a toss about labels and sure as hell don't pay £200-300 for a camo jacket, the problem is to many do, the price of the top end product would soon come down if nobody bought it.

You can't keep complaining about the price whilst continuing to hand over your money, go to your local market/army surplus/charity shop/etc.

Your quarry doesn't give a hoot what you spent on your clothes!

I once raised this point at a local game shoot when I helped a friend feed the pheasants as his truck was broken so we used mine.

We saw a chap there and when we got chatting he asked me if I shot and I said just vermin. I said that shooting was an expensive sport and his words back will live with me forever:

"Yes, it is expensive - but that's how we like it - keeps sport for us chaps. Make it cheap and ANYbody could do it"

Most stuff made and shipped from China and the far east is traded in dollars.

We chose which brand to buy, some brands can charge more than others, that's the power of marketing and brand awareness.

Electronics will always get cheaper as mass production keeps costs low and R & D costs tend to get recouped very early in the product cycle.

Compared to following a football team in teh premier league, shooting seems cheap after you have bought your gun.

I generally only wear Musto and Barbour clothing for everything including shooting, fishing, walking and casual wear. In addition I do have some Jack Pyke jackets and trousers and the odd M&S casual jacket.

90% is Musto & Barbour. Do I spend a fortune, no I don't. All my clothes are either bought at the Musto & Barbour outlets or on line at the right price. Search eBay and you can get some real bargains. I also buy in sales and wherever there is a bargain going. Anyone that buys Barbour or Musto from a high street retail shop or department stores at full retail price must need their head testing or be very wealthy.

I generally only wear Musto and Barbour clothing for everything including shooting, fishing, walking and casual wear. In addition I do have some Jack Pyke jackets and trousers and the odd M&S casual jacket.

90% is Musto & Barbour. Do I spend a fortune, no I don't. All my clothes are either bought at the Musto & Barbour outlets or on line at the right price. Search eBay and you can get some real bargains. I also buy in sales and wherever there is a bargain going. Anyone that buys Barbour or Musto from a high street retail shop or department stores at full retail price must need their head testing or be very wealthy.

Same here, Barbour, Musto or other quality goods with a badge :yes::lol: but buy when I don't need it if it's cheap enough or google.

It is a market economy, and often led by a label, and yes, there is good margin in a lot of clothing.

I don't give a toss about labels and sure as hell don't pay £200-300 for a camo jacket, the problem is to many do, the price of the top end product would soon come down if nobody bought it.

You can't keep complaining about the price whilst continuing to hand over your money, go to your local market/army surplus/charity shop/etc.

My thoughts too.

I grew up in the country, in a tied cottage, and live in the country now and I've never felt the need to wear the country 'uniform'.

Iv tried all sorts of warm, windproof and waterproof clothing over the years. The cheap stuff never lasted long.

I believe in you pay for what you get and I also don't pay full wack for decent gear. Look about and you'll find good gear in sales etc, especially after the shooting season ;0)

I used to play a lot of paintball a few years ago and it was the exact same story, I signed up for a mail forwarding service in the USA (usglobalmail) and imported what I needed much cheaper even though some stuff was made in the UK, I'm all for supporting local companies but when they start making up prices just because they can then they lose my business, companies need to understand that the world is a much smaller place now due to the internet.

YOU are totally right they are playing for the snob value of the product as shooting is seen as an upmarket wealthy pass time and its not always the quality of the clothes they sell.

Whats wrong with an old bit of DPM anyway? :whistling:

Edited by SHOOTEMUP

I bought some M&S mole skins for a game shoot, fell apart on the day returned for a refund..... Now have the issue this year so is that good value or not?

Try some Sherwood Forest mole skin trousers or John Norris usually have some good deals on them.

Figgy

The marks ones weren't cheap but i had left it a bit late to buy a pair...

The thing is with Barbour you do get really good cut and sewing as well as quality moleskin material, I also have J. Norris ones which are OK for pigeon shooting but the material doesn't look or feel quite like moleskin should and you can't quite bring yourself to wear them out to a restaurant for instance.

I bought some M&S mole skins for a game shoot, fell apart on the day returned for a refund..... Now have the issue this year so is that good value or not?

I have about 3 pairs of Musto moleskin, I'm coincidently wearing a pair as I type this. Only paid £40 each for them on line. You have to buy when you get the chance and you will get a bargain.