Wildfowling Season 2014 - 2015

Wildfowler325

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terry . Wed morning 3 Pinks Wed evening 2 greys 2 Canada Thur morning 5 Greys 4 Canada 1 Mallard Sat morning Fallow Pricket oops wrong section back on Geese Sun morning

Cheers for that pal, was you using your 20b on them. Off on my first of many pink hunts on Tuesday, oh how I wish they lived closer. You are a very fortunate man, I almost envy you but living in gods acre has to have some draw backs I guess. :good::good:

Save a few of those pinks for the rest of us!

Oh there is Plenty to go round Matt. Tell you what I'll do !!! Use my 20ga with Hevi Shot till you get your First Pink with a strangle hold pic lol Keep at them Matt I'm sure you will achieve your goal very soon you certainly deserve it for the effort you put in.

My mate I shoot with in Scotland tells me there are huge numbers of Pinks in the Montrose basin this year Saw my first ones today out on the Wash Hopefully find plenty when I'm in Scotland in 3 weeks time ! I could even hear Pinks in the background on the golf highlights tonight !

The geese are starting to show in numbers, although I had a lot of Barnacles in range and a lot of Pinks staying well away. This particular goose landed in the field behind me and sat for ten minutes before making the fatal mistake of calling and then flying right over my head.

post-16690-0-30748900-1412024818_thumb.jpg

Another trip to the North Norfolk salt-marshes today, my first in two weeks.My wife had reached the ragged edge of her tolerance, what with wildfowling, clays and beating.

This week I'm wildfowling today, beating Thursday and Saturday and clays on Sunday, doesn't seem too much to me, she, quite unreasonably in my opinion, disagrees.

I had the entire marsh to myself, again, I never heard another shot fired and as it was a still morning I'd have heard one from a long way away.

There were lots of duck about, I was in one of my favourite places, but if you had been anywhere on my marsh this morning you would've got some shooting.

I can't claim much skill in getting under the birds, in truth, you could've stood on the sea-wall and had a reasonable flight. The bird-watchers wandering up and down the bank wouldn't have liked that very much however.

I came away with 4 teal and a Mallard, my best trip so far this year as far as bag size is concerned. Any questions as to the number of cartridges expended to reach this exalted figure will be met by embarrassed silence.

Also I saw some Pinks, at long last, I watched them through my glasses fly from beyond Brancaster up to Holme, where they finally left the sands and turned inland over the Reserve out that way and I lost sight of them. That and the 4 Swans, 2 adults, 2 first year birds, still with grey feather patches flying low and slow very close by me was, perhaps, the best part of the day.

This morning was the next stage in my well planned assault on the Canada goose population of Gloucestershire! So far it was fair to say that they firmly held the upper hand, my ever faithful dog and I had spent 14 hours in various muddy holes trying desperately to get under them, but they were always to wide/high etc.
This morning saw us back where we started the campaign all them hours ago, all the early geese went out farther north of us and just as I was beginning to lose hope geese could be heard. This time they seemed to be approaching farther to my left and as they appeared out the mist a good half mile away they were coming straight towards me.
In the short time it took for them to cover the distance I had put the safety on and off a dozen times (just to make sure) and given myself lots of excuses incase I missed! They came over a good 35 yards to my left and at about the same height, the first shot hit it's target and the bird faltered but regained it's wing beat, the second shot missed and after giving myself a quick telling off the 3rd again found its mark dropping the bird well behind. A quick retrieve of a still lively goose and the hours spent out there made sense.
With no time to appreciate the moment geese were heading my way again, now at the same range but to my right. This time there was no mistake and the skein continued but missing 1 off their members.
More geese came over but I put the gun away and just watched them, happy with my brace.

20140930_072755_zps58d42547.jpg

Edited by silver pigeon 3

Sounds like your got a nice lot of duck up your way ( bob ) things are pretty quiet down hear but with the weather being like summer most days( today included ) were not to concerned as we know our turn will come . Were got plenty of beet tops and a few wheat stubbles to give the Pinks a meal after there flight down from N Norfolk and all we want now is some serious rain as every where on the marshes are bone dry.

I was down your way last weekend marsh Man and there were plenty of duck and greylag further up the yare valley towards Norwich. We did the evening flight closer to breydon and it was much quieter but we did get a mallard. I am busy at the moment but will post the days events when I update my game diary.

Edited by anser2

This morning was the next stage in my well planned assault on the Canada goose population of Gloucestershire! So far it was fair to say that they firmly held the upper hand, my ever faithful dog and I had spent 14 hours in various muddy holes trying desperately to get under them, but they were always to wide/high etc.

This morning saw us back where we started the campaign all them hours ago, all the early geese went out farther north of us and just as I was beginning to lose hope geese could be heard. This time they seemed to be approaching farther to my left and as they appeared out the mist a good half mile away they were coming straight towards me.

In the short time it took for them to cover the distance I had put the safety on and off a dozen times (just to make sure) and given myself lots of excuses incase I missed! They came over a good 35 yards to my left and at about the same height, the first shot hit it's target and the bird faltered but regained it's wing beat, the second shot missed and after giving myself a quick telling off the 3rd again found its mark dropping the bird well behind. A quick retrieve of a still lively goose and the hours spent out there made sense.

With no time to appreciate the moment geese were heading my way again, now at the same range but to my right. This time there was no mistake and the skein continued but missing 1 off their members.

More geese came over but I put the gun away and just watched them, happy with my brace.

20140930_072755_zps58d42547.jpg

Well you can't complain at that mate

Well done on your brace all worth it in the end