Wildfowling Season 2014 - 2015

Wildfowler325

Sounds like you had one or two nice flights around the area " anser2 " , the Pinks are going all over the place at the moment , there not staying on the same fields for no more than a few days and with the weather still mild and sugar beet coming up each day they will be like that until there food supply dry up a bit or conditions start getting a bit on the rough side..

Widgeon are getting about now in better numbers with the odd one going in the bag most nights I go on the marshes I rent , with the second half of the season already here lets hope we all have a few good days ahead of us.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my day of decoying was an absolute disaster!!

Got to the marsh in plenty of time, loaded myself up, decoy bag, game bag, gun, food, hide, poles, hot drinks and beer crate to plonk my bum on.

I was making good progress to get into position and setup when I tried to cross what looked like ankle deep mud that had been cut up by the cows, when all of a sudden I was in mud up to my thighs, my momentum carried me over and my wader got totally stuck in the mud, ripped it clean off my leg and was stuck in the mud behind me, I had no option to put my foot straight into the mud up to my thigh to try and save myself.

I was stuck for a good 5 mins, I had to unload myself all the kit was in the mud by now with my dog thinking it was a really good game so he started jumping around in the mud splashing it all into my face and mouth!!!

I had to use my stick to dig my thigh wader out, lost my torch and a hide pole as it was still dark. Decided there was no way I was going to stay out all day soaked! Although it was quite mild I could feel the cold instantly through my soaked clothes. I left the gear near by and just got out as far as I could to have a chance at a duck during the morning flight, I couldn't cross any gutters as my wader kept falling off, so I was well back from the action, didn't see a duck, decided to text my mate to see how he was getting on, as I put my gun down to text, a flock of teal passed me within 20feet! I was furious lol

I sat there for another half hour not to ruin other peoples shooting then I had to get off, soaked, miserable and not very happy! And I should add it's was another hour walk back to the car with all that gear, which I couldn't find! It was really just one of those days!!! I was looking forward to it for so long, we only have another two tides that suit a full day of decoying before the end of the season now.

I really hope you all had better weekends! You've got to love wildfowling! lol

Sorry to here about your mishaps " Fal ". I think days like that happens more often than we read about , we hear a lot about successful flights but believe you me I and most others on here have had more than our fair share of ones similar to yours , but you will soon put it in your memory bank and look forward to your next adventure ...........Look on the bright side " Fal " it could have been worse.....or could it :lol:

Sorry to here about your mishaps " Fal ". I think days like that happens more often than we read about , we hear a lot about successful flights but believe you me I and most others on here have had more than our fair share of ones similar to yours , but you will soon put it in your memory bank and look forward to your next adventure ...........Look on the bright side " Fal " it could have been worse.....or could it :lol:

Well I have laughed about it since, but I was not laughing at all at the time! lol When I got home I was quitting, now I am looking at the tides to get back out! haha!

Fal that made me chuckle, glad to see that it happens to others as well!! A few weeks ago I decided to head to a marsh that requires a good walk to get in position. So I head off all laden up with decoys/hide etc, arrive at the chosen position only to realise I have left the Gun in the truck!! As I walk back to get it a Skein of Canadas cross over where I would have been. Got to love Fowling!!!

The old left the gun at home trick. A favourite of mine , followed by taking goose cartridges when i am after duck or visa versa or lugging a sack full of decoys out across the marsh only to find the motherlines are still in the shed. Sorry to hear about your mud bath Fal.

Today my 2014/15 season got better.

My sixth trip out and I actually got a shot at a pinkfoot - Well two actually. Missed of course, but I did get a shot.

Up at 0250 hours for the pleasure too. I was just in the wrong place at the right time because I saw 1000's of pinks disappearing in the opposite direction.

Who said inland/Broadland fowling was easy?

Ah well, as things are obviously improving I look forward to the next trip.

Well my day of decoying was an absolute disaster!!

Got to the marsh in plenty of time, loaded myself up, decoy bag, game bag, gun, food, hide, poles, hot drinks and beer crate to plonk my bum on.

I was making good progress to get into position and setup when I tried to cross what looked like ankle deep mud that had been cut up by the cows, when all of a sudden I was in mud up to my thighs, my momentum carried me over and my wader got totally stuck in the mud, ripped it clean off my leg and was stuck in the mud behind me, I had no option to put my foot straight into the mud up to my thigh to try and save myself.

I was stuck for a good 5 mins, I had to unload myself all the kit was in the mud by now with my dog thinking it was a really good game so he started jumping around in the mud splashing it all into my face and mouth!!!

I had to use my stick to dig my thigh wader out, lost my torch and a hide pole as it was still dark. Decided there was no way I was going to stay out all day soaked! Although it was quite mild I could feel the cold instantly through my soaked clothes. I left the gear near by and just got out as far as I could to have a chance at a duck during the morning flight, I couldn't cross any gutters as my wader kept falling off, so I was well back from the action, didn't see a duck, decided to text my mate to see how he was getting on, as I put my gun down to text, a flock of teal passed me within 20feet! I was furious lol

I sat there for another half hour not to ruin other peoples shooting then I had to get off, soaked, miserable and not very happy! And I should add it's was another hour walk back to the car with all that gear, which I couldn't find! It was really just one of those days!!! I was looking forward to it for so long, we only have another two tides that suit a full day of decoying before the end of the season now.

I really hope you all had better weekends! You've got to love wildfowling! lol

And I thought getting up at 3.30 , putting out mixed duck 40 decoys , shooting just a pigeon was bad you certainly topped that . :oops:

Fal that made me chuckle, glad to see that it happens to others as well!! A few weeks ago I decided to head to a marsh that requires a good walk to get in position. So I head off all laden up with decoys/hide etc, arrive at the chosen position only to realise I have left the Gun in the truck!! As I walk back to get it a Skein of Canadas cross over where I would have been. Got to love Fowling!!!

O the joys of wildfowling Ben lol

Though one winged bird came down in the river a hundred yards off. By the time the dog had reached it was another hundred yards away being carried seawards by the strong tide. It dived continually and both dog and duck disappeared out of sight around a bend in the river. It was imposable to follow the dog along the river band due to the thick reeds and several side creeks , so I struggled back to the river wall and set off downstream whistling the dog as I went . Just as I was about return to my flighting spot there was a rustle behind me and there was Meg with a very lively drake mallard in her mouth.

Caution.

Visitors to the Broads area should be very aware of this. It's not just the tides - And the ebbs in particular can be very strong - but the shape of the banks. The tide and continuous boat wash undercuts the banks of the rivers due to the softness of the original peat bogs. The reeds grow right to the waters edge but there is absolutely nothing underneath it. You can go straight through it into deep water. More importantly your poor old dog, having made its retrieve and fought the current to get back to land, can't get out of the water. It has come up against an overhanging ledge with nothing to support it under the water. It gets its feet up on the reed mat but it gives way as the dog tries to lift itself up by its front legs. It's a can't win situation.

Many of us 'locals' will not put our dogs into the rivers unless we know the area extremely well. I am among those.

The tides can go much faster than you can run!

Grandalf

You are right Grandalf, But I know the rivers very well having been shooting there since the 1960s and on the stretch I shoot at low tide there are a number of bays with tiny beaches the dog can come ashore on and then clamber up the bank. Like wise at high tide the dog can easily swim ashore into the reeds. Its the mid tides that are the problem and I avoid shooting the mid tides. However if you can pick your spot with care you can still shoot the rivers , but you must have local knowlege of the river banks. On one 1\4 mile section I shoot there are a lot of small side creeks cut through the reeds to drain the reed bed into the river to help with harvesting the reeds, so again the dog can come up these. My worst trouble came a few years ago when the river was in flood. I was shooting 15 miles upstream where normally there is no problem getting your dog out. But on you boundary there is an island there the channel splits above a mill. I shot a greylag which while the dog retrieved it became entangled in fishing line (so I thought at first) and I could not get onto the island. Fortunately it was the goose not the dog that was caught up. After a vain struggle she let go of the goose and swam back to me with no problem, but the goose was lost. But your warning is a good one to anyone who does not know the rivers very well.

Edited by anser2

Well pointed out " Grandalf ".....I rented a shoot up the Waverney for over 20yrs with around half a mile river frontage that went under the Somerleyton swing bridge ,and you are right the tides can be extremely fast but in that time the different dogs I had never had any problems getting up the banks . I have always had the large type Labradors and at an early age I use to train them to get a tennis ball from across the river in the summer months and the holiday cruisers coming down the river were more of a problem to the dog than the banks .

Back in the 1970s I used to run the pub between the two rivers at St Olaves and shot the pubs river frontage. Part of the bank was piled , but I taught my dog to get out out without any problems. I would lie in the bank edge reaching down to the water. As my dog came back with a duck I would cup my hand across the back of her neck. She would push hard against my hand levering herself up and scrabble up the pileing.

I also used to shoot very close to your ground Marshman at Somerlayton ( was a member of GYWA in those days). When walking home in warm weather my lab used to slip into the river and float downstream with only the odd kick to give herself " stearage" for half a mile downstream.

Quote "holiday cruisers coming down the river were more of a problem to the dog than the banks ." A once I had holiday makers in crusers pinch ducks before they could be retrieved. But several times i lost my decoys when a cruser ploughed through them at dawn in mid winter.

Edited by anser2

Out this morning on the coast , set up my decoys and awaited for the duck to start moving. For a long time nothing moved then a bunch of wigeon circled my decoys on set wings and just as they started to come into range three loud bangs behind me on the winter wheat fields. Of course they flared off. For the remainder of the flight three bird scarers were banging off tripple shots each every 5 minuets. Plenty of teal and wigeon on the move ( the most I have seen so far this season ) , but none came into their usual roosting creek where I was decoying. I guess the bird scarers have been in action for several days. If this keeps up one of the best spots on the marsh will be ruined for the remainder of the season.

Fair numbers of pinks on the move , but even when they apeared over the sea they were sky high and between the time they apeared over the sea and when they reached me at the back of the marsh at least one of the bird scarers fired.

Edited by anser2

Out this morning on the coast , set up my decoys and awaited for the duck to start moving. For a long time nothing moved then a bunch of wigeon circled my decoys on set wings and just as they started to come into range three loud bangs behind me on the winter wheat fields. Of course they flared off. For the remainder of the flight three bird scarers were banging off tripple shots each every 5 minuets. Plenty of teal and wigeon on the move ( the most I have seen so far this season ) , but none came into their usual roosting creek where I was decoying. I guess the bird scarers have been in action for several days. If this keeps up one of the best spots on the marsh will be ruined for the remainder of the season.

Fair numbers of pinks on the move , but even when they apeared over the sea they were sky high and between the time they apeared over the sea and when they reached me at the back of the marsh at least one of the bird scarers fired.

I found the week before, and the week after Nov 5th were having the same effect on the marshes nearest to the built up areas with some of the firework bangs louder than when the ole boys used to fire there punt guns , but thankfully things have got back to normal .

Today my 2014/15 season got better.

My sixth trip out and I actually got a shot at a pinkfoot - Well two actually. Missed of course, but I did get a shot.

Up at 0250 hours for the pleasure too. I was just in the wrong place at the right time because I saw 1000's of pinks disappearing in the opposite direction.

Who said inland/Broadland fowling was easy?

Ah well, as things are obviously improving I look forward to the next trip.

Well today it got much better.

Had a late start now the nights are longer. Reveille at 0300 hours. On the road at 0345 after de-icing the truck. Fog all the way. Excellent - This is why I am going today.

Halvergate area, Norfolk Broads, by 0500. Unload truck and load trolley. Dave and a guest turned up. They gave me the pick of the positions as I was first to arrive but we were all going to the same general area. Start the long walk and in position by 0600. Hide and decoys set up by 0620 and the pinks started moving about 0650. No fog now! Typical. :sad1:

Most went north or south and we were to the west of the reserve area. Some came over us high but the guest got one out of a slightly lower small skein. I managed to turn one bunch of seven back towards by silosox decoys and they went right round me twice. On the third lap they were a bit closer so I fired and missed. The skein broke up and I pulled onto another that came closer and thought I had it but not so - It turned back to the others and flew away strongly catching the rest very quickly.

Others went over but were high.

I then saw Dave getting out of his hide and walking across the field. What on earth is he up to? He hasn't got a dog with him but hasn't fired a shot as far as I am aware. He walks a long way then picks up a goose and brings it over to me. Seems I didn't miss with the first shot after all. This chap went about twenty yards and dropped dead. I hadn't seen it due concentrating on the other that I also fired at. Good for Dave.

Much later a pair came to the 'coys and I dropped one. Then another long wait before another small skein came back into the area and I dropped another two for my three shots.

So that was it - Bag limit for the day.

Sat in the hide and had a coffee waiting for the time to draw stumps during which another bunch of five came around - I didn't call or anything - Dave and the guest did - But still they came and landed about 40 yards behind my 'coys. They passed right over me at about 40 feet!

So that was it. I've broken my run of nothings and have four plump pinks in the freezer.

Now I know why I am still willing to get up in the middle of the night.

Isn't it nice when the plan comes together? :)

Well today it got much better.

Had a late start now the nights are longer. Reveille at 0300 hours. On the road at 0345 after de-icing the truck. Fog all the way. Excellent - This is why I am going today.

Halvergate area, Norfolk Broads, by 0500. Unload truck and load trolley. Dave and a guest turned up. They gave me the pick of the positions as I was first to arrive but we were all going to the same general area. Start the long walk and in position by 0600. Hide and decoys set up by 0620 and the pinks started moving about 0650. No fog now! Typical. :sad1:

Most went north or south and we were to the west of the reserve area. Some came over us high but the guest got one out of a slightly lower small skein. I managed to turn one bunch of seven back towards by silosox decoys and they went right round me twice. On the third lap they were a bit closer so I fired and missed. The skein broke up and I pulled onto another that came closer and thought I had it but not so - It turned back to the others and flew away strongly catching the rest very quickly.

Others went over but were high.

I then saw Dave getting out of his hide and walking across the field. What on earth is he up to? He hasn't got a dog with him but hasn't fired a shot as far as I am aware. He walks a long way then picks up a goose and brings it over to me. Seems I didn't miss with the first shot after all. This chap went about twenty yards and dropped dead. I hadn't seen it due concentrating on the other that I also fired at. Good for Dave.

Much later a pair came to the 'coys and I dropped one. Then another long wait before another small skein came back into the area and I dropped another two for my three shots.

So that was it - Bag limit for the day.

Sat in the hide and had a coffee waiting for the time to draw stumps during which another bunch of five came around - I didn't call or anything - Dave and the guest did - But still they came and landed about 40 yards behind my 'coys. They passed right over me at about 40 feet!

So that was it. I've broken my run of nothings and have four plump pinks in the freezer.

Now I know why I am still willing to get up in the middle of the night.

Isn't it nice when the plan comes together? :)

Well done. You've ended your bad run in fine style!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, I and my friend made it out for the first time this season, set ourselves up on a trusty flight line, and settled down for the evening. The wind was strong and squally showers sporadically cut across the landscape peppering us with their needle like droplets.

Our chosen spot, sat behind a pallet in a small hollow, really provided scant cover against the elements and the beady eyes of our quarry. However as darkness began to descend, and the sky change from bright campfire orange to the inky abyss of night the advantage swung in our favour.

A few skiens wandered in our direction, but alas, just too far for our range/capabilities. After a period of sitting tight and observing, I began to notice that we were just too far to the south and were missing the flight line by about a good 400yds. The wind keeping the geese low enough that they were difficult to see against the landscape.

I decided that I should move to make a better fist of the situation, just at that a huge skien of greylag had lifted and were heading straight towards us. Startled by my movement they swung North. Luckily right into a shootable position for my companion.The first shot rang out but missed, however the second was straight and true and felled one. A great shot.

I slumped down, cursing myself and feeling a tad dejected at missing a chance. Just at that my mucker, gave a shout and a gesture to the South. Here was a group of 3 heading to join up with the main skien. They moved a little East from my position and out of range but I felt sure that they had not seen me, crouched and still in my little hollow.

And then, they came. Another pair playing catch up, but this time heading straight for me. I stayed low. Didn't dare to move. Until the last moment. I moved to my knees, mounted, pulled through and shot. The goose folding instantly. It hadn't even known a thing about it.

We gathered our prizes and made our way home for a warming dram. My first of this season and one to remember.

Finally, I and my friend made it out for the first time this season, set ourselves up on a trusty flight line, and settled down for the evening. The wind was strong and squally showers sporadically cut across the landscape peppering us with their needle like droplets.

Our chosen spot, sat behind a pallet in a small hollow, really provided scant cover against the elements and the beady eyes of our quarry. However as darkness began to descend, and the sky change from bright campfire orange to the inky abyss of night the advantage swung in our favour.

A few skiens wandered in our direction, but alas, just too far for our range/capabilities. After a period of sitting tight and observing, I began to notice that we were just too far to the south and were missing the flight line by about a good 400yds. The wind keeping the geese low enough that they were difficult to see against the landscape.

I decided that I should move to make a better fist of the situation, just at that a huge skien of greylag had lifted and were heading straight towards us. Startled by my movement they swung North. Luckily right into a shootable position for my companion.The first shot rang out but missed, however the second was straight and true and felled one. A great shot.

I slumped down, cursing myself and feeling a tad dejected at missing a chance. Just at that my mucker, gave a shout and a gesture to the South. Here was a group of 3 heading to join up with the main skien. They moved a little East from my position and out of range but I felt sure that they had not seen me, crouched and still in my little hollow.

And then, they came. Another pair playing catch up, but this time heading straight for me. I stayed low. Didn't dare to move. Until the last moment. I moved to my knees, mounted, pulled through and shot. The goose folding instantly. It hadn't even known a thing about it.

We gathered our prizes and made our way home for a warming dram. My first of this season and one to remember.

:good: