CCTV product recomendations for home security?

Salop Matt

As above folks,

2 years ago a house 4 doors down was broken into that had no alarm and old wooden double glazing, so we upgraded to new PVC double glazing and a good front door and also had the alarm serviced.

4 months ago there was a strange bloke sat in a car opposite our house photographing us and the neibours and our houses so unknow reason, when approaced he drove off so his VRN was passed onto the police.

Today lunch time a lady was in the street behaving very weirdly and trying to let herself into other folks homes, the police were called and shes been arrested.

So now I want to increase our home security, am happy with the alarm and its setup as its a good one and well maintained. So am looking at CCTV covering the back garden and the fron door/drive. Also some carpet gripper on the fence at the back.

So am I best paying the big money to have someone else do it, or can I but the stuff myself and set it up to save the money ?

Am going to speak to a copper I know and ask him to come and look arounbd the house and see what he advises and see what weeknesses he can see if any.

Cheers guys

Matt

Neibours are happy with it and feel the same, no kids to worry about and screw fix sell a brown plastic spike strip also !

Will see what our copper friend says as he should be clued up on this sort of thing.

My main interest is a camera system to cover: * The front door, * Front of house, *Side of house and * Rear of house.

ATB

Matt

ESP Guard cam on front and back of house, Like normal floods but with camera, photo's are very good quaility, you can also have a voice warning if required. Had visitors a few months ago and picture of him staring into the camera was, well a picture. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002YWZXX6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Soon ran off when he heard warning.

Also if you have PVC doors, change locks to ABS, anti snap locks, cost £30 but if you look on youtube how easy it is to snap the standard euro lock, well worth it.

Was thinking of buying one of these but not sure if legal, http://www.surplusstore.co.uk/12-gauge-blank-firing-trip-wire-alarm-gate.html, would wake all neighbours though.

Neibours are happy with it and feel the same, no kids to worry about and screw fix sell a brown plastic spike strip also !

Will see what our copper friend says as he should be clued up on this sort of thing.

My main interest is a camera system to cover: * The front door, * Front of house, *Side of house and * Rear of house.

ATB

Matt

Screwfix flyer just come through the door and they have got some cctv stuff on offer :good:

I Fitted a cheap chinese 8 camera system last year and it works very well just plug it all in and off it goes but the cameras are not brilliant with regards clarity but the night vision is good. this cost me about £175 off evil bay but I also purchased some Sony cameras off there which are very good and they were around the £28 each mark and worth it and don't forget to ensure that everyone can see your cameras :ninja: I live in a rural location with no street lights so I also put up some cheap £7.99 evil bay infra red illuminators which glow red at night and remind people that your security is good :good:

Also used a reasonable hard drive which I also got at the time for £70 ( Amazon) and records for 90 days continuously on sort of a loop system for all eight cameras also this system can be put on your computer link so you can remotely view on you phone anywhere you may be hope this helps you a bit :good:

And you will be amazed at the visitors your home has particularly at night that you never knew about !!

Edited by SHOOTEMUP

I fitted a 4 camera system where one of the camera's is a full tilt/ pan and zoom all night night vision. They all record to time/ date stampt 1000GB hard drive. So far its caught 3 hit and run incedents, all successfully prosecuted and many various other small crimes, is idiot's pinching dust caps etcetera.

Makes the area a much safer place to live as the crimbos seem to stay well away. I installed the custom system myself which cost arround £3500.

if you do get a system, either get one where the DVR sends the recorded images to an online server and alerts you by text, or make sure you secure or hide it very well ! the professional crims will wear face masks and/or steal the DVR!

Take a look at a company called SystemQ who provide equipment to the trade. They have lots of information and tips on what you may need/want from a system all online.

edit: www.systemq.com

Edited by silver pigeon69

I had thought about going down the CCTV route at my old house but came to the conclusion that people would think I had something worth stealing if I had that up...I just got a decent alarm, more sensors and some tremor alarms on the back windows...if someone wants in your house they will get in, if you have CCTV they just pull hoods over there faces and still get in..but a decent loud alarm will put them off....just my opinion.

CCTV does have its pros and cons. Some people put them all over their house but I've found that the cameras are then too high to record anything useful as their faces can't be seen or they cover their faces. The best advice I give people for crime prevention is to have some very obvious cameras that people can see and act as a deterrent. Then you need a couple of covert cameras that are hidden away but at eye level and close enough to record decent footage. This way if people do come near your house you can still record good footage without them moving the cameras. When they see the obvious ones 15 foot up your house wall they never bother looking for covert ones. Then just get a decent recorder and hide it somewhere where it can't easily be found. At the end of the day if someone wants to get in they will with the two most common methods being pre planned lock snapping (usually to get your car) or brick through a rear patio window as most neighbours ignore alarms!

Edited by FoxyChris

Get the spikes on the fence, Mark your property, put a neighborhood watch sign in the window and make sure the alarm boxes are shiney clean. Put cctv in places they can't be moved by passers by and are clear to see. Make sure they are passive infra red and full colour in day.

More importantly ensure you leave temptation out of the crooks sight ie now laptops on sofas in clear view from a window. Lock the doors at night and close Windows.

I cannot remember, and I've been to thousands of burglaries the last time a thief actually had to force his way in, mostly the doors and sometimes the Windows are either open or unlocked.

If you don't like the look of someone challange them or call police.

Covert or overt CCTV? They are easy to set up, and install just buy decent cable and a crimper the pre made cables are a pig to run neatly. And a decent power supply for the cams. There's loads of stuff out there Henry's have some good deals on cameras and stuff most dvrs are naff we use lots of pro spec ones and still have issues the main thing is check it regularly as the last thing you need is failed drive when something has happened!

I would go for a 4 camera dvr 2 external overt and 2 internal covert.

I have a swann system I installed myself, can view from my phone and it emails me a picture whenever motion is detected, records 24/7 you can set the motion areas easily for instance any vehicle entering our road is photographed at least twice. I upgraded the front camera so you can make out reg numbers.

Anyone going near the house and the pic is fine for identification

Cost about 200 not including upgrades

Is putting carpet gripper on your fences allowed?

Carpet gripper is not allowed by law, but this is:

http://www.primrose.co.uk/-p-365.html?adtype=pla&kwd=&option=283&gclid=CJm04ai-xMACFRMatAodrkwAcw

It did'nt stop the cats walking across my back garden wall though. They just 'pussy footed' across it!

I had thought about going down the CCTV route at my old house but came to the conclusion that people would think I had something worth stealing if I had that up...I just got a decent alarm, more sensors and some tremor alarms on the back windows...if someone wants in your house they will get in, if you have CCTV they just pull hoods over there faces and still get in..but a decent loud alarm will put them off....just my opinion.

You would think so. Last Xmas eve my wife went out with her friends and didn't take a key, so I put alarm on, as I do every evening and went to bed to watch tv. At around 10:30pm the alarm went off, I rushed down downstairs to see some one in the porch area, he ran off when he saw me.

My alarm is an ADT system, not a Wickes cheapo unit. But when the police arrived he said they will stand around to see if any one reacts to the alarm. No deterent what ever to these theiving sumbags.

My fault for not locking front door. Lesson learnt and now with door chain attached. As aid in a previous thread, if they want to gain entry they will.

The problem is with our PC laws if you do something and an intruder gets hurt he/she can claim compensation from you years ago people used to put broken bottles on top of walls but that I think was baned.

Exactly. The days have gone when broken glass and other 'dangerous' items could be fitted around one's property. But the plastic strips are legal, and when I bought mine, they came with a small laminated warning sign that you can fix somewhere to 'alert' would be intruders that they may get hurt when they try and get into your premises. The warning sign means that you cannot be prosecuted. For some reason though, the cats ignored it!

• 3 weeks later...

Resurrecting this as I am also looking at installing CCTV. I'm going to put in a 2 camera system that I can add 2 more to at a later date. View on phone etc.

I'm on a budget. But don't want false economy...

People have said DVRs are likely to break, so

I'm guessing if want one with a warranty?

Also does anyone have any ideas how I can run the cables into my attic with least destruction?