BASC and ACPO

David BASC

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this "newer and clearer" letter in the public domain yet? Only ask as I'm dashed if I can find it.

http://basc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/FELWG-LETTER-Certificate-holders-re-initiative-101114.pdf

Didn't take more than 30 seconds to find it. (only because somebody sent me the link last night!!)

Edited by Sussexboy

http://basc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/FELWG-LETTER-Certificate-holders-re-initiative-101114.pdf

Didn't take more than 30 seconds to find it. (only because somebody sent me the link last night!!)

Many thanks. Even with your kind reply, I still can't find it on the ACPO website (the BASC link was good). That just might be my stupidity but it does appear that it is not in the public domain whereas, like the original announcement, I feel it should be. Tilting at windmills, perhaps.

Edit: Didn't say exactly what I meant - corrected.

Edited by wymberley

it worries me when people want one organisation ok if on your wavelength but cant beat choice because of choice you can go where you like to spend your money.

Many of the criticisms come from the fact some do not like what one organisation does or people in it don't do what you want. What would you do if no choice.

it worries me when people want one organisation ok if on your wavelength but cant beat choice because of choice you can go where you like to spend your money.

Many of the criticisms come from the fact some do not like what one organisation does or people in it don't do what you want. What would you do if no choice.

I guess this was for me. What I meant with one, powerful organisation who can lobby better, like the NRA's strength on the other side of the pond. Their voice can be heard...

Well said Bakerboy.

I go back to my earlier point, there is an awful lot of backslapping for the CA for their initial approach, but was it actually merited, did it have the requisite quality, or was it just a bit of pitch fork waving grandstanding noise that actually did very little to advance anything?

From what I see the impact was the crime stoppers number was dropped, so a good thing at face value, but likely of very little consequence at all.

The other thing was that the re-issued letter actually weakened the case of the shooter because it relaxed the reasons to justify a knock on the door from the police, very subtle but significantly more impact than getting rid of a number that no one actually knows.

BASC maybe didn't wave and rattle their pitchfork to satisfy the clamour from some of the shooting community, but thankfully they did keep their eye on the detail and when all the initial furore dies down that is what really counts.

Better in my opinion to take a little bit of time and do the right thing instead of going up like a puff of powder just to be seen to be doing something.

+1. Also people moan about not getting a response off BASC. But how many actually contact BASC to ask them directly. Far to many come here moaning and expect David to answer 24-7. When I was not happy with BASC agreeing to put greylag on general liscense I wrote to Basc to make my feelings known as did many others, I also wrote to NE and they did not put greylag on the GL. Things can be achieved if the effort is made to do something yourself.

Re lead I see the government has just signed an agreement to phase out lead so not matter what BASC or any other shooting org do I truly believe its days are numbered, something else to lay solely at BASC's door.

+1. Also people moan about not getting a response off BASC. But how many actually contact BASC to ask them directly. Far to many come here moaning and expect David to answer 24-7. When I was not happy with BASC agreeing to put greylag on general liscense I wrote to Basc to make my feelings known as did many others, I also wrote to NE and they did not put greylag on the GL. Things can be achieved if the effort is made to do something yourself.

Re lead I see the government has just signed an agreement to phase out lead so not matter what BASC or any other shooting org do I truly believe its days are numbered, something else to lay solely at BASC's door.

A very valid point, although I think most will just not renew with BASC and send their cheques to another organisation!

David,

If that was in response to my question at Post #58, I thank you.

I had already seen those reports but they don't answer the question asked of Terry P in as much as it refers to his statement that the UK Government has signed an agreement to phase out lead shot. As, far as I am aware, that is not strictly true. The agreement is not binding and whereas the UK is a signatory, I have heard no mention as to whether or not the government propose to adopt the policy. I would hazard a guess and suggest any action on their part, if any, will follow the final LAG report (unless, of course, it does another Cullen/Dunblane to us; the possibility of which we have learned to our cost cannot be discounted).

The NGO has indicated that provided we act as we should (must) with regard to the use of NTS, then we have nothing to fear in the report. If we are aware of this, then so also will be the antis and as the final report, we are told, is now being written they'll be flat out to catch us out. Consequently, it is critical that we're seen to be whiter than white throughout the remainder of the 'fowling season.

wymberley

You are very welcome.

As far as I know the UK government has not signed up to this, but of course along with all the other orgs we are keeping a close eye.

What was discussed at the conference is not binding to the best of my knowledge, but yes the usual suspects are chiming on about it to try and get rid of lead shot

Compliance with the law is key I agree, and yes I believe the final report from LAG is being written, but I have no idea what it contains

wymberley

You are very welcome.

As far as I know the UK government has not signed up to this, but of course along with all the other orgs we are keeping a close eye.

What was discussed at the conference is not binding to the best of my knowledge, but yes the usual suspects are chiming on about it to try and get rid of lead shot

Compliance with the law is key I agree, and yes I believe the final report from LAG is being written, but I have no idea what it contains

I don't agree that voluntary compliance with the law is key! If people don't want to comply and/or don't think they will get caught, and the law isn't enforced, compliance will always be patchy at best! what is the point of introducing a law then not bothering to enforce it?.....because that is what's happening!.....the current non-compliance of the lead shot ban is the trap our enemies set for us by forcing through the species specific element of the lead shot ban in England and Wales.......and the stick our enemies are currently beating us with! I fear there will be no improvement until enforcement action is taken via traceability of ducks at the game dealers....I predict a few prosecutions will ensure a dramatic increase in compliance!

I don't agree that voluntary compliance with the law is key! If people don't want to comply and/or don't think they will get caught, and the law isn't enforced, compliance will always be patchy at best! what is the point of introducing a law then not bothering to enforce it?.....because that is what's happening!.....the current non-compliance of the lead shot ban is the trap our enemies set for us by forcing through the species specific element of the lead shot ban in England and Wales.......and the stick our enemies are currently beating us with! I fear there will be no improvement until enforcement action is taken via traceability of ducks at the game dealers....I predict a few prosecutions will ensure a dramatic increase in compliance!

Oh, my giddy aunt!

A few more as like minded as your good self then we really are in the mire.

I am no fan of BASC regarding the overall NTS situation BUT it must be patently obvious as they've - together with all the other organisations - emphatically said that if we can't conduct ourselves in a sportsman like and law abiding fashion then we deserve everything we get.

I understand the point you are making but at the moment it's the only key we have to keep the door firmly locked in the face of the antis. A few prosecutions now is all they need to wipe the floor with us. Surely, it is incumbent upon ourselves to ensure that there's no 'incidents' between now and the season's end which might adversely affect us in the LAG final report.

Oh, my giddy aunt!

A few more as like minded as your good self then we really are in the mire.

I am no fan of BASC regarding the overall NTS situation BUT it must be patently obvious as they've - together with all the other organisations - emphatically said that if we can't conduct ourselves in a sportsman like and law abiding fashion then we deserve everything we get.

I understand the point you are making but at the moment it's the only key we have to keep the door firmly locked in the face of the antis. A few prosecutions now is all they need to wipe the floor with us. Surely, it is incumbent upon ourselves to ensure that there's no 'incidents' between now and the season's end which might adversely affect us in the LAG final report.

Non compliance is undoubtedly a major problem because it is a major weapon in our enemies armoury! but where do the RSPB, WWT et al get their ducks to test? yep! the game dealers! and where do the game dealers buy their duck? not from coastal Wildfowlers I'd guess, because the coastal Wildfowlers I know don't shoot enough duck to sell! I would further guess that compliance from coastal Wildfowlers is at least in the high 90% plus range.

If the people that sell their lead shot ducks to the game dealers can't/won't voluntarily comply with the law then they should suffer the full weight of the law.....because if this small minority can't be persuaded/forced to comply? then not just them but all shooters will suffer the loss of lead shot equally! I comply so why should I have any sympathy for those that won't?

The usual story..........the selfish few spoiling things for the many!

Edited by panoma1

No it sounds like the RSPB and WWT fudging the numbers by getting ducks from sources which are not wildfowl ducks. This will of course indicate that those brids have been shot by lead shot, durr, no brainer. So the LAG need to know these facts that are being distorted and manipulated to make it seem that there is no compliance with the lead shot ban on wildfowl.