visit

parrots2

I don't see where I posted that i wanted to sit with my firearms beside me. I was pointing out why the police want firearms locked up while the owner is in the house , and its nothing to do with them being stolen. People here can apply for a firearm for self defence depending on their circumstances. So telling my firearms department that I wanted a firearm for self defence would not be an issue, and it would not be much use if it wasn't within reach and loaded. Whether they felt that you needed one is a different matter, as they have got a lot stricter regards approving PPW/s. If you are in a gun club here you will see plenty loading their handguns before going home as they use them as a PPW.

If you are in a gun club here you will not see any handguns being loaded as I am sure you are aware they are banned.also I do believe it is illegal to carry any type of firearms loaded in a public place in this country.of course I could always be wrong.And you did use the words if he had his guns beside him he might still be alive.Well a gun would need to be loaded would it not to be of any real use in those circumstances.

Of course the criminal coming to steal guns will have total respect for the firearms act......

About the same as someone who sits indoors with a loaded gun beside them whilst watching TV with the family. Edited by bostonmick

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in the house other day for over an hour waiting to be picked up with my rifle in its case had a text on my way but my mate was stuck in traffic unknown to me how many of us have done that and what if they had called when i was waiting

You could of just said im waiting for my friend to pick me up, im going shooting.

I was in the house other day for over an hour waiting to be picked up with my rifle in its case had a text on my way but my mate was stuck in traffic unknown to me how many of us have done that and what if they had called when i was waiting

Yes this is a problem.I sometimes wait for a ride to go shooting and of course you never know exactly what time they are going to turn up.what I usually do is leave the gun in the cabinet until they pull in the drive and then remove it from cabinet pop it in the slip and out the door. I realise this takes up to two minutes but I can live with the inconvenience. Atb

if your waiting for a friend to pick you up, and you have the gun in a slip then you are in control of that gun.and its in your hands,not lets get silly over this.

I agree but i thought this unanounced thing they GOT to have a reason to do this this is just anouther reason for the police to get into your home for a look around and please dont tell me they dont

I agree but i thought this unanounced thing they GOT to have a reason to do this this is just anouther reason for the police to get into your home for a look around and please dont tell me they dont

If it was your fao who turned up he would just be doing his routine job.if it was uniformed officers doing it as an extra to their normal duties then without good reason is wrong.but as others have said let's not get to carried away.

If you are in a gun club here you will not see any handguns being loaded as I am sure you are aware they are banned. CF handguns are only banned in the UK mainland, and not in the remainder of the UK.

It is still perfectly legal to own BP handguns and LBR anywhere in the UK.

If it was your fao who turned up he would just be doing his routine job. If he made an appointment then yes, he would just be doing his routine job, but not if he just 'turned up'.

if it was uniformed officers doing it as an extra to their normal duties then without good reason is wrong. I'm so pleased we have finally got this sorted.

If you are in a gun club here you will not see any handguns being loaded as I am sure you are aware they are banned. CF handguns are only banned in the UK mainland, and not in the remainder of the UK.

It is still perfectly legal to own BP handguns and LBR anywhere in the UK.

If it was your fao who turned up he would just be doing his routine job. If he made an appointment then yes, he would just be doing his routine job, but not if he just 'turned up'.

if it was uniformed officers doing it as an extra to their normal duties then without good reason is wrong. I'm so pleased we have finally got this sorted.

on a g4s advert for a fao a few months ago it had a description of the job.this included random checks on rfd premises and certificate holders to ensure regulations were being adhered to as well as interviewing for grants and renewals.now to me random does not mean pre arranged.as for the handguns I know that black powder and long barrel are still permitted.but they are not the same as the handguns I believe the post I answered was talking about.

You're right Mick, random doesn't mean pre-arranged, but despite what the G4S advert claims, FEO's don't make random calls on individual licensed firearms owners for the reason they are very busy people and there is a good chance that unless an appointment is made, the person in question wont be in. The same can't be said of RFD's as their ours of business are there for all to see. My mate had an unannounced visit from his FEO as I mentioned some time ago, but only because he was calling literally at the house across the road and saw he was in. The fact they went to school together may have been another factor.

If your FEO arrives unannounced then you have every right to say no, and for exactly the same reasons you can say no to others, unless they are acting on specific intelligence led information, as has been discussed on here.

My apologies re' the handgun matter, it was your remark that 'if you are in a gun club over here you will not see any handguns being loaded.....' which led me to believe you weren't aware the ban only applies to mainland UK.

You're right Mick, random doesn't mean pre-arranged, but despite what the G4S advert claims, FEO's don't make random calls on individual licensed firearms owners for the reason they are very busy people and there is a good chance that unless an appointment is made, the person in question wont be in. The same can't be said of RFD's as their ours of business are there for all to see. My mate had an unannounced visit from his FEO as I mentioned some time ago, but only because he was calling literally at the house across the road and saw he was in. The fact they went to school together may have been another factor.

If your FEO arrives unannounced then you have every right to say no, and for exactly the same reasons you can say no to others, unless they are acting on specific intelligence led information, as has been discussed on here.

My apologies re' the handgun matter, it was your remark that 'if you are in a gun club over here you will not see any handguns being loaded.....' which led me to believe you weren't aware the ban only applies to mainland UK.

I myself had a random unannounced visit about three years ago for similar reason he was in the area doing a grant interview.i was not in at the time I was shooting about 3 miles away my daughter answered the door told him I was out and he asked if he could see my cabinets which she showed him to he just checked the doors were all locked and said thank you and left.i don't think it was ever implied that you could not refuse entry if it was not a good time. on the handguns although I have never had any interest in handguns or rifles come to that I cant really understand how they are banned here but allowed in northern Ireland when you consider the history of the province.politics I suppose or maybe vote grabbing.

Funnily enough, when I was first issued an f.a.c. back in 1999 / 2000, I got a leaflet with it explaining what I could / couldn't do with my firearm to defend my home (in light of the farmer who shot the door with a ***** behind it). I'm sure it's acceptable to get a gun and ammunition out if you feel threatened and then use it in self defence only.

I've nothing to worry about but I don't like the idea of them checking up on me without good reason- which, as David says, is how they're supposed to be doing things, I'd feel I was being treated like a criminal for owning firearms / shotguns - where, the fact I've been deemed fit to posess such "weapons" should be a pretty bold statement that nothing could be further from the truth.

Conversely, I feel we do need to be wary of these new checks or any change really as it's just getting more and more difficult for us (who've done nothing wrong) to participate in an age old and perfectly legitimate passtime

If you are in a gun club here you will not see any handguns being loaded as I am sure you are aware they are banned.also I do believe it is illegal to carry any type of firearms loaded in a public place in this country.of course I could always be wrong.

In this part of the UK handguns are not banned, and I do see people loading their handguns before leaving as they have them for self defence. So yes you are wrong.

And you did use the words if he had his guns beside him he might still be alive.Well a gun would need to be loaded would it not to be of any real use in those circumstances.

Yes if you had it for self defence it would be loaded and beside you when you watched TV if you wanted.

Edited by ordnance

In this part of the UK handguns are not banned, and I do see people loading their handguns before leaving as they have them for self defence.

Also not banned here on the mainland, just target shooting is no longer "good reason" but there are others including self defence or defence of others (section 5 permits exist) I still want to know how the olympic pistol shooters both home and visiting were certificated or was it all done under the "crown" exemption? If under the crown exemption why can't our pistol team practise at military ranges?

In this part of the UK handguns are not banned, and I do see people loading their handguns before leaving as they have them for self defence. So yes you are wrong.

Yes if you had it for self defence it would be loaded and beside you when you watched TV if you wanted.

I don't believe you are silly enough to not realise I was talking about England.also I would like to see what the firearms dept would say if you gave self defence for any kind of gun over here.doubt you would be buying a gun anytime soon.you seem to want to fit the quotes to suit your desire to argue over things that are not there.i live in England and only ever refer to England and what we have or do not have.northern Ireland I know nothing of,south is a different matter I lived on one of the family farms for a few years there.

I don't believe you are silly enough to not realise I was talking about England.also I would like to see what the firearms dept would say if you gave self defence for any kind of gun over here.doubt you would be buying a gun anytime soon.you seem to want to fit the quotes to suit your desire to argue over things that are not there.i live in England and only ever refer to England and what we have or do not have.northern Ireland I know nothing of,south is a different matter I lived on one of the family farms for a few years there.

It's not all about you and where you live. We have members from all over the UK and beyond, who are as entitled to discuss this as you are.

Edited by Blunderbuss

It's not all about you and where you live. We have members from all over the UK and beyond, who are as entitled to discuss this as you are.

I never said it was.but if you would care to read the quote he used I actually said if you were in a gun club HERE he would not see handguns being loaded.northern Ireland have different laws to ours.and it would seem that wales to is not the same as you can have handguns there as long as you give the reason to own as for shooting people in self defence.

Also not banned here on the mainland, just target shooting is no longer "good reason"

Would that not be the main reason for wanting a handgun target shooting considering we are on a shooting forum. Ok they are not banned the law just makes it virtually imposable for anyone in England Scotland and Wales to own one for target shooting. Except LBP and section 7. And some humane dispatch. As for section 5 do you know or have you heard of anyone that has one for self defence.

I don't believe you are silly enough to not realise I was talking about England.also I would like to see what the firearms dept would say if you gave self defence for any kind of gun over here.doubt you would be buying a gun anytime soon.you seem to want to fit the quotes to suit your desire to argue over things that are not there.

This is a UK shooting forum, Northern Ireland is in the UK . So when you are posting on the forum you are only talking about England even tough were are discussing something that affects all of the UK. England. Scotland. Wales and Northern Ireland. ?

Edited by ordnance

Would that not be the main reason for wanting a handgun target shooting considering we are on a shooting forum. Ok they are not banned the law just makes it virtually imposable for anyone in England Scotland and Wales to own one for target shooting. Except LBP and section 7. And some humane dispatch. As for section 5 do you know or have you heard of anyone that has one for self defence.

This is a UK shooting forum, Northern Ireland is in the UK . So when you are posting on the forum you are only talking about England even tough were are discussing something that affects all of the UK. England. Scotland. Wales and Northern Ireland. ?

as I said in my post I did say gun club HERE so surely that leads you to realise I was talking mainland England.but why let fact get in the way

I myself had a random unannounced visit about three years ago for similar reason he was in the area doing a grant interview.i was not in at the time I was shooting about 3 miles away my daughter answered the door told him I was out and he asked if he could see my cabinets which she showed him to he just checked the doors were all locked and said thank you and left.i don't think it was ever implied that you could not refuse entry if it was not a good time. on the handguns although I have never had any interest in handguns or rifles come to that I cant really understand how they are banned here but allowed in northern Ireland when you consider the history of the province.politics I suppose or maybe vote grabbing.

You were happy with your feo taking advantage of the fact that you were out and asking if he could come into your house to check your cabinets?I am sorry i am not one to obstruct anyone and if i am not busy when a feo or officer calls then they would be invited in,but should an feo call and i am out and then asks to come in while just my wife is in the house a strongly worded letter would be on the way to the chief constable.

You were happy with your feo taking advantage of the fact that you were out and asking if he could come into your house to check your cabinets?I am sorry i am not one to obstruct anyone and if i am not busy when a feo or officer calls then they would be invited in,but should an feo call and i am out and then asks to come in while just my wife is in the house a strongly worded letter would be on the way to the chief constable.

as I have said many times I have no problem with visits.at the end of the day he went away happy.his report on my visit would have been a positive in my favour.maybe I should write to the chief constable congratulating him on having such an efficient officer on his staff.we all have options and choices.thats why we don't all drive the same cars and shoot the same make of gun.you do things your way I do mine whos right well both of us.as if it works for you then great.

sorry , im having a real problem with the comment about your FEO still wanting to see your cabinets even though you were out , and the getting your daughter to let him in and show him , As a professional he would have just said "can you let him know that I called around , there's no problem , it was just a check " and just left , of he would have phoned you , as he would have your number on file , or get it from your Daughter .

Who was it that called ?

Edited by stevo

as I have said many times I have no problem with visits.at the end of the day he went away happy.his report on my visit would have been a positive in my favour.maybe I should write to the chief constable congratulating him on having such an efficient officer on his staff.we all have options and choices.thats why we don't all drive the same cars and shoot the same make of gun.you do things your way I do mine whos right well both of us.as if it works for you then great.

and yet you still feel it necessary to say it over and over and over

I think everyone is very clear on your position with regards visits as you have made it very clear, but a lot of people feel different to you.

I have enjoyed many of your posts Boston but really mate its not needed everytime someone writes a post to continually argue your point.

nothing personal in what im saying it just does not need repeating ad nauseam

sorry , im having a real problem with the comment about your FEO still wanting to see your cabinets even though you were out , and the getting your daughter to let him in and show him , As a professional he would have just said "can you let him know that I called around , there's no problem , it was just a check " and just left , of he would have phoned you , as he would have your number on file , or get it from your Daughter .

Who was it that called

he may have just said to her he called to check cabinet and she offered him in to do that I don't really know I was not there.and to be honest I was not bothered to ask her.