visit

parrots2

A good point, obviously they would have to go away as you are not there and they cannot get access to your cabinet.

But never forget that if they should ask any member of your family ,who are not certificate holders, if they know where the keys to the cabinet are....obviously no non certificate holder can know where your keys are.

David

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good point, obviously they would have to go away as you are not there and they cannot get access to your cabinet.

But never forget that if they should ask any member of your family ,who are not certificate holders, if they know where the keys to the cabinet are....obviously no non certificate holder can know where your keys are.

David

keys for the cabinet will not be of knowledge to anyone else other than myself.

im just wondering if no one is in would they leave a note and try and rearrange a visit, and also if they do say 3 unnanounced visits and cannot gain access due to no one being in would they take this further?

the only reason i say this is because me and this missus work weird hours and it could be the case.

Edited by Dan.

My FEO clearly stated on my renewal that its not just the past 5 yrs from last renewal thats been checked.All holders in Durham are currently having their backgrounds checked and reviewed regardless of renewals.In his words"we will be revoking a lot of licences"

if this turns out to be the case then I wonder how the basc/cpsa revoke insurance would stand up. but at least it might lead to a surge of new members joining.

My FEO clearly stated on my renewal that its not just the past 5 yrs from last renewal thats been checked.All holders in Durham are currently having their backgrounds checked and reviewed regardless of renewals.In his words"we will be revoking a lot of licences"

On my last SG renewal I was told exactly the same, in fact they had already revoked 30 that week.

Perhaps being a little contentious in this post, given the track record of Durham in respect to making very poor decisions around previous license grants to some individuals is it a bad thing if they are reviewing all SGC's or FAC's?

Of course there may well be some marginal cases where people are disadvantaged or have to mount a robust defence in order to retain their cert's and that for those individuals is regrettable if they are otherwise responsible firearm holders.

It would be interesting to lodge an FOI request to find out exactly how many licences are revoked after any retrospective review and the reasons for those revocations, that would give the true measure of just how poorly Durham may have been performing.

These comments would only be applicable if there is sufficient evidence to indicate that Durham have had systemic failures in the licence review and issue process that mean there is reasonable concern of non suitable individuals holding cert's. That of course should also result in the appropriate sanctions for those responsible for this area within the force.

If it is just anexercise of stage dressing to try and promote a better public image then it is of course unacceptable.

On the Durham issue we have two members of BASC staff meeting with senior officers today to express face to face our concerns, lets see what comes of that.

Looking at the wider picture we see some authorities are stepping outside of the Home Office Guidance, please feedback to me which are and we will target those accordingly.

And as well as that I am working on another project that will help shooters know, understand and stand up for their rights, I have a meeting on that project this afternoon.

David

If they turn up at your door and revoke your licence. what happens to your guns. Do you get chance to lodge them with an RFD pending appeal or do they just take them.

If they revoke you can't keep, they take them if your lucky they will let your RFD come out or collect them from the station the police have a rep for not taking care of property the handle

And get a receipt in writing with officers name and badge number and signed and dated

Edited by HDAV

When will all this silliness stop.Cant have stickers,next we will be advised its not good to wear green wellies in public or any clothing that might make someone assume you shoot.You will have to swap the springer for a pug or a poodle next.Hope you read your shooting magazine on the pot and don't leave it lying about as someone might assume you shoot.I got a Country Side Alliance magazine but guess what I don't have a horse.

Exactly. Stuff like this helps the antis a lot sicne we can't advertise shooting products associations and shooting clubs anymore. If we can't do that how are we supposed to get people into shooting?

Exactly. Stuff like this helps the antis a lot sicne we can't advertise shooting products associations and shooting clubs anymore. If we can't do that how are we supposed to get people into shooting?

Theres a Landrover in Hitchin which probably has every Countryside Alliance sticker available (keep shooting,keep hunting etc) in its rear window.Now thats dedication!

I have a BASC sticker in my car and van and dont give a hoot what anyone thinks

The matter of fact anything you advertise could be stolen. Say you just bought a new Playstation 4 and put up a sticker on your car that you are part of some gamer club, thieves would know that you will have expensive electronic equipment in your house. It is all part and parcel of the risk we can't hide from everyone and if a very determined thief wants your guns or your electronic equipment they will get them.

If you look at famous heists not even the most secure valuable items have been safe from thieves.

I've have only glanced through all the above posts, reason being I had the letter announcing unannounced visits with the license being returned with a variation. Why is its so worrying, it shouldn't be if your stuff is all as it should be, but it unnerves me. All my safes and guns are as they were when the police checked them on my last renewal, but that was by an Firearms officer( who organised a visit) not a couple of police enforcing their own interpretation of firearm law. What if I have guests or my teenagers have all their mates lying around the tv, absolutely no way would I start opening cabinets then, or want to have to explain to the childrens mates why they would all have to leave in a hurry. This does sound like harassment to me, harassment as we are a minority in regard to the voting public. Shouldn't the police be doing unannounced visits on anyone in case they have stolen guns on their property, that wouldn't go down well with the majority would it.

Its a bit like cracking down on vehicle crime but only checking on those that are fully legal with their vin's etc on the central computer. It will be interesting to see what they say on my doorstep if its not convenient for them to enter in regard to my rules of keeping my guns safe and out of the public eye.

If they revoke you can't keep, they take them if your lucky they will let your RFD come out or collect them from the station the police have a rep for not taking care of property the handle

And get a receipt in writing with officers name and badge number and signed and dated

what would happen if you and a couple of your shooting friends all entered your guns on each others certificates as shared.they would not be able to remove any then as they would be in effect stealing.atb

If your guns are in cases they should come back to you or go to the RFD in the same state they left you.

what would happen if you and a couple of your shooting friends all entered your guns on each others certificates as shared.they would not be able to remove any then as they would be in effect stealing.atb

Rubbish if they were in your cabinet and you had the key they would take them as you are in possession without a cert! Makes it easier for your mates to go and get them from the station after they have been slung in a patrol car and then chucked in an office/cupboard/old damp cell for a night!

Rubbish if they were in your cabinet and you had the key they would take them as you are in possession without a cert! Makes it easier for your mates to go and get them from the station after they have been slung in a patrol car and then chucked in an office/cupboard/old damp cell for a night!

That's easily fixed just give them the key to hold at the station until the guns are collected by your mates.you then have no access and they can't be damaged.After all your guns do not have to be stored in your own home.

Interesting theory, wouldn't want to test it myself....

It's not theory I know of three cert holders who have their guns stored at a different address.all with full knowledge and agreement of the fao.also what happens if there are more than one cert holder in the house.if a cert is revoked from one as they are deemed unfit surely the others would have to lose theirs as well.this is because having an unfit person living at your address is reason for refusal.

Edited by bostonmick

my god,,,,this topic is going round the twist, no wonder licences are getting revoked with some of the weird things people are coming out with on here,

exaggerating is an understatement ,when will all this stupidity thinking end,

If they call,whats the problem,, I,ve honestly never read so much thoughtless comments in all my life, WHY is everyone becoming paranoid about visits,

lets be honest about it,,,,if your a licence holder and you get an un announced visit, your guns are locked away, whats the problem ? you are behaving within the law so I cant see what everyone is sweating about,

unless you are doing something you shouldn,t and judging by all the paranoia on here it certainly sounds like some are not behaving within the law,

if they call and its untimely for you then you have the right to refuse entry,,make them make an appointment at a reasonable time ,,what on earth is hard about that,

making a stink about things and coming on here saying " but what about this and what about that" its becoming a joke seriously

get a grip guys, if any police are reading this thread they will be laughing their heads off as I have been doing at some of the comments,

if everything is in order you have nothing to worry about,,, if its not then you do

atb Evo