Penknife for kids

FalconFN

Does the blade length on the Opinel not make it too long for legal carry anyway?

For kids a slightly bigger knife for a good chunky grip and with a locking blade makes them much safer anyway, but the law would look on it so differently :(

EDIT: Now the first line in my post looks daft cos' 39TDS edited their post...

Edited by grrclark

Does the blade length on the Opinel not make it too long for legal carry anyway?

For kids a slightly bigger knife for a good chunky grip and with a locking blade makes them much safer anuyway, but the law would look on it so differently :(

EDIT: Now the first line in my post looks daft cos' 39TDS edited their post...

Yes the law isn't great on that score. I should say I fully intend them never to take a knife into town but they are girls that love shoving stuff into one of their many bags, so it could easily happen.

It almost certainly would happen without any intention as that is the nature of things.

Not so long ago I got collared at airport security for having a pen knife in my coat pocket and didn't even know it was there. Fortunately it was a legal carry knife so the only outcome was having to put it into the big clear plastic box of shame to encourage other air travellers not to be so wicked and malevolent as me.

I say good for you getting your daughters pen knives too, I wanted to get my nephew of a similar age one for his birthday, but his mum had a hissy fit at the merest suggestion. He is an outdoorsy type lad and I thought it would suit him and encourage responsibility.

I got my kids the opinels with the rounded ends. They love whittling sticks with them and we have only had 1 trip to hospital to superglue a finger back together!

I don't worry about the fact they lock or the blade length because they won't be messing about with them and they are mostly used on the farm.

Edited by Dirty Harry

Have a look here prices seem good. http://uk.knivesandtools.com/en/pt/-victorinox-camper.htm?gclid=CP3dn9GHjsICFQrLtAod5nwAQQ

I myself have always considered it an imperative that a general purpose pocket-knife has a point and a sharp one at that. The knife that I carry day to day is an Opinel, however the disadvantage with the Opinel is that as the handle is organic it is subject to the vagaries of the weather and when damp or wet the blade can bind in the handle causing potential problems for the inexperienced, otherwise for the money they are quite a useful tool. :good:

Regards

I used to shoot a good few rabbits with the air rifle that were holed up in large bramble patches. You could position yourself for a clear shot but trying to recover them was a pain. Mentioned this to Father and we did a deal. A few days later I duly broke the school high jump record and a couple of days after that, as agreed, my ex WD machete arrived compliments of the E&M. Currently, we'd have both been hung out to dry. I was 13 and I still use it almost 60 years later.

I used to shoot a good few rabbits with the air rifle that were holed up in large bramble patches. You could position yourself for a clear shot but trying to recover them was a pain. Mentioned this to Father and we did a deal. A few days later I duly broke the school high jump record and a couple of days after that, as agreed, my ex WD machete arrived compliments of the E&M. Currently, we'd have both been hung out to dry. I was 13 and I still use it almost 60 years later.

I suspect that I like many on the forum daren’t reveal the extent of our distant past misdemeanours concerning edged or other implements of potential disaster as we are unsure as to the position in regards to the statute of limitations. :)

Cheers, I've seen them and I'm a big fan of opinel but they lock so would be technically illegal if accidently taken out in public, even though the locking ring actually makes them safer to use.

Yes, I suppose this is a concern. I believe the locking nut can be removed, but that sort of defeats the point. I'm surprised Opinel don't make more EDC legal knives - particularly for the British market.

The DofE one you mention looks very nice indeed - if pricey for what it is.

Yes the law isn't great on that score. I should say I fully intend them never to take a knife into town but they are girls that love shoving stuff into one of their many bags, so it could easily happen.

A good friend of mine had a 4" lock knife, it went missing for a few months once. Then it turned up in his sisters make up bag which had been into all round the country into clubs etc etc. Needless to say he keep them away from her now!

Yes, I suppose this is a concern. I believe the locking nut can be removed, but that sort of defeats the point. I'm surprised Opinel don't make more EDC legal knives - particularly for the British market.

The DofE one you mention looks very nice indeed - if pricey for what it is.

Way over priced really but the alternative is attempting to round the tip off of a similar model without ruining it!

Have a look here prices seem good. http://uk.knivesandtools.com/en/pt/-victorinox-camper.htm?gclid=CP3dn9GHjsICFQrLtAod5nwAQQ

I myself have always considered it an imperative that a general purpose pocket-knife has a point and a sharp one at that. The knife that I carry day to day is an Opinel, however the disadvantage with the Opinel is that as the handle is organic it is subject to the vagaries of the weather and when damp or wet the blade can bind in the handle causing potential problems for the inexperienced, otherwise for the money they are quite a useful tool. :good:

Regards

I agree opinels are great, I have a couple of No7 and an No8 in game bags and coat pockets. I missed the kids knife link first time I looked - thanks for that.

I can't understand why all the kids knives have bottle openers though!

I can't understand why all the kids knives have bottle openers though!

Is that not from the good old days when kids used to drink lashings of ginger pop.

On a similar point did swiss army knives not always have a tool for removing stones from horses hooves, never to this day have i seen one being used in anger.

Dont forget to tell them about blades closing on fingers. :yes:

Oh yes, we've all done it enough times I'm sure. No walking or running with a knife, pass it closed, cut away from yourself, etc etc, I'll run though it all with them. They are pretty good though as they have an air rifle (locked in my cabinet) and bows so they've had countless safety talks from me over the last year or two. They also know I will not give them a second chance - one stupid or dangerous action and they loose it for good. Harsh but necessary.

Get them one of these , it will make them the envy of all their mates. :)

knife_zpsd78eeac4.jpg

Do they come in pink?

Oh yes, we've all done it enough times I'm sure. No walking or running with a knife, pass it closed, cut away from yourself, etc etc, I'll run though it all with them. They are pretty good though as they have an air rifle (locked in my cabinet) and bows so they've had countless safety talks from me over the last year or two. They also know I will not give them a second chance - one stupid or dangerous action and they loose it for good. Harsh but necessary.

Do they come in pink?

See below.. :good:

I suspect that I like many on the forum daren’t reveal the extent of our distant past misdemeanours concerning edged or other implements of potential disaster as we are unsure as to the position in regards to the statute of limitations. :)

I’m quoting myself here but I didn’t tell my dad either!